Built in 1954, Fire Station 3 is the oldest working firehouse in Madison.
The station is located at 1217 Williamson Street on the near-east side and houses an engine and medic crew.
- Engine 3 – a 2015 Pierce Engine built on a Quantum Chassis with a 500-gallon water tank and a 1250 gallons-per-minute Hale pump. This apparatus is equipped with a Class A foam system, telescoping deck gun, fire hose, and tools. In addition, Engine 3 carries emergency medical equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear.
- Engine 41 – a 2006 Pierce Engine built on a Quantum Chassis with a 500-gallon water tank and a 1250 gallons-per-minute Hale pump. This apparatus is equipped with a telescoping deck gun, fire hose, and tools and is a reserve engine for the City.
- Medic 3 – a 2016 Ford E-450 with a Braun Advanced Life Support patient compartment. It carries a full complement of advanced life support medicine and equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear. To aide in patient and paramedic safety, it operates with a Stryker power-loading cot.
- 1 Lieutenant, station officer
- 1 Apparatus Engineer (driver) operating the engine
- 2 Firefighters staffing the engine
- 2 Paramedics staffing the ambulance
Fire stations develop a specific identity over time. Surrounded by a lively neighborhood with a funky vibe, Station #3 has a true community presence. A tradition among the firefighters that are assigned there is the evening “dangle.” After dinner, the crew will often sit outside the bay doors and converse with the public. It’s not uncommon to give an impromptu tour to kids and parents as they walk by. Politicians, business owners, and street people have stopped to say hello. The crew has even been serenaded by a cellist!
On its station logo, Firehouse #3 claims its place as the City's oldest working fire station.
Station Three's News
Meet Apparatus Engineer David Guthrie Posted 04/03/2019Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 3 (Williamson Street) on the 'B' shift. Where were you previously? I was a Firefighter/Paramedic 2 at Station 10 (Troy Drive) on the 'C' shift. How long have you been with the MFD? I joined the MFD in October of 2009. Read more »
Madison Firefighters Raise Funds To Fight Lung Cancer Posted 03/09/2019Team Madison Fire participated in the Fight For Air Climb fundraiser in Milwaukee for the fourth year in a row on Saturday, March 9. The feat entails climbing 47 stories (1034 steps!) inside the U.S. Read more »
Peer Support Program Offers A Helping Hand To First Responders Coping With Stress, Trauma Posted 01/24/2019It’s a chilling reality: First responders are more likely to die by suicide than in the line of duty. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Derek Epps Posted 11/07/2018Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Mitch Hanson Posted 10/29/2018Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog. Read more »