Built in 1963, Station 5 is situated at 4418 Cottage Grove Road, where it serves the southeast side of Madison.
Station 5's territory stretches to the City's southern and eastern borders, responding to incidents on the Interstate and the Beltline, in addition to serving the densely-populated neighborhoods in that area.
Station 5 houses Engine 5 and Medic 5.
- Engine 5 – a 2017 Pierce Quantum Pumper manufactured in Appleton, WI with a Hale fire pump rated at 1250 gallons per minute. It has a 500-gallon booster tank and carries an additional 20 gallons of foam for Class A fires. It contains four pre-connected fire attack lines and a compliment of 5” and 2 ½” supply lines. In addition to firefighting and rescue tools, Engine 5 carries a full complement of EMS equipment. Engine 5 has a gross vehicle weight of 46,800 pounds and is powered by a 400 hp Cummins diesel engine which provides a top speed of 65 miles per hour.
- Medic 5 – a 2017 Ford E-450 with a Braun Advanced Life Support patient compartment. It carries a full complement of advanced life support medicine and equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear. To aide in patient and paramedic safety, it operates with a Stryker power-loading cot.
- 1 Lieutenant, station officer
- 1 Apparatus Engineer (driver) operating the engine
- 2 Firefighters staffing the engine
- 2 Paramedics staffing the ambulance
Many stations develop a specific identity over time and carry that through with logos that members of the crew display with pride. All three shifts worked in cooperation to develop Station 5's logo which prominently showcases the original "5" that was displayed when the station was first established in 1925.
Known as "The Nickel," Station 5 prides itself on going "Above & Beyond" to serve its diverse territory, from providing fire and EMS service to residential and industrial neighborhoods to hosting community outreach events like Firefighter Fun Day.
Station Five News
September 24, 2019Station 5 was recently paid a special visit by a furry friend named Buddy! Buddy is in training to become a service dog for kids living with autism. Right now, Buddy is being trained by Bob and his family through a program called Dogs In Vests. This organization works to get dogs trained and paired with a child in need. Read more »
September 2, 2019When Simon Berna was ready to make his grand entrance into the world on June 9, 2019, he jumped in feet first. Nobody saw it coming. “He wasn’t breeched at my last appointment,” recalls Simon’s mother, Ines, who had an otherwise normal pregnancy. After about two hours of labor, Ines’s water broke. Soon after, she knew something wasn’t right. Read more »
July 17, 2019Recruit Class 8 is now serving at a fire station near you! Get to know Madison's newest firefighters. Where are you stationed? I’m at Station 5 (Cottage Grove Road) on the ‘C’ shift. Read more »
July 11, 2019Recruit Class 8 is now serving at a fire station near you! Get to know Madison's newest firefighters. Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 5 (Cottage Grove Road) on the 'B' shift. Why did you want to pursue this career? Read more »
July 7, 2019Earlier this year, Madison welcomed thirteen new firefighter/EMTs to your neighborhood fire station. Recruit Class 8 graduated the MFD Fire Academy in January, and some moved on to the MFD EMS Academy to receive their certification and license as Emergency Medical Technicians. Read more »