Station 9 is located on Madison's near-west side. It houses Engine 9 and Squad 9 and is staffed daily by four firefighters who work 24-hour shifts. The firehouse was built in 1957 to accommodate Madison's then-west side.
- Engine 9 – a 2012 Pierce Quantum. It has a 1250 gallons-per-minute fire pump and a complement of ground ladders, fire hose, and tools. In addition, Engine 9 carries emergency medical equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear.
- Squad 9 – a 2000 Pierce Squad provides an air cascade system, tower lighting, extrication tools, and rehab supplies.
- 1 Lieutenant, station officer
- 1 Apparatus Engineer (driver) operating the engine
- 2 Firefighters staffing the engine
In the early 1950s the University of Wisconsin-Madison Board of Regents formed a plan to sell 600 acres of University Hill Farms land (which was used by the School of Agriculture) to an expanding City of Madison. Station 9 was built a few years before the construction of Hilldale Shopping Center. In a nod to that early history, the crew has claimed and celebrates its identity as The Original West Side of Madison.
Station Nine's News
Meet Lieutenant Eric Mills Posted 07/12/2018Four new lieutenants were recently promoted at the MFD. Get to know them all week long on the MFD Blog! Where are you stationed? Read more »
Meet Medical Director Dr. Megan Gussick Posted 06/14/2018What does the MFD Medical Director do? Read more »
'Tactical Athlete' Program Aims To Reduce Injuries, Maximize Performance Posted 04/27/2018When a firefighter is injured, it’s critical they make a fast and thorough recovery before returning to duty. Not only does the community depend on a healthy workforce to perform heroic tasks at a moment’s notice, oftentimes physical injury can also take a psychological toll on the firefighter, who's sidelined as they recover. Read more »
Recruit Class 7 Graduates the MFD Fire Academy Posted 04/24/201818 firefighter recruits walked across the stage last Friday to receive their badges and pledge an oath to serve and protect the City of Madison with integrity, courtesy, respect, compassion, and trustworthiness. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Kyle Kampmeier Posted 03/22/2018Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog. Where are you stationed? Station 9 (Midvale Blvd.) on the 'A' shift. Read more »