Station 9 is located on Madison's near-west side. It houses Engine 9 and Squad 9 and is staffed daily by four firefighters who work 24-hour shifts. The firehouse was built in 1957 to accommodate Madison's then-west side.
- Engine 9 – a 2012 Pierce Quantum. It has a 1250 gallons-per-minute fire pump and a complement of ground ladders, fire hose, and tools. In addition, Engine 9 carries emergency medical equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear.
- Squad 9 – a 2000 Pierce Squad provides an air cascade system, tower lighting, extrication tools, and rehab supplies.
- 1 Lieutenant, station officer
- 1 Apparatus Engineer (driver) operating the engine
- 2 Firefighters staffing the engine
In the early 1950s the University of Wisconsin-Madison Board of Regents formed a plan to sell 600 acres of University Hill Farms land (which was used by the School of Agriculture) to an expanding City of Madison. Station 9 was built a few years before the construction of Hilldale Shopping Center. In a nod to that early history, the crew has claimed and celebrates its identity as The Original West Side of Madison.
Station Nine News
January 10, 2020This week we say goodbye to Apparatus Engineer Dan McCosky, who retires after nearly 32 years of service! McCosky joined the Madison Fire Department on March 21, 1988. Previously, he was a firefighter at the Milwaukee Fire Department and also served with the National Guard. Before that, he was a volunteer firefighter and EMT at the Maple Bluff Fire Department. Read more »
July 12, 2019Recruit Class 8 is now serving at a fire station near you! Get to know Madison's newest firefighters. Where are you stationed? I’m at Station 9 (Midvale Blvd.) on the ‘A’ shift. Read more »
July 7, 2019Earlier this year, Madison welcomed thirteen new firefighter/EMTs to your neighborhood fire station. Recruit Class 8 graduated the MFD Fire Academy in January, and some moved on to the MFD EMS Academy to receive their certification and license as Emergency Medical Technicians. Read more »
May 10, 2019The Madison Fire Department said goodbye last week to Assistant Chief Clay Christenson, whose vision and commitment to public safety leaves a lasting legacy that will benefit the community for years to come. Read more »
April 5, 2019Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 9 (Midvale Blvd.) on the 'A' shift. How long have you been with MFD? I've been with MFD for nine years. Read more »