The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 04/17/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 04/18/2019, MPD received 413 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 413 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (81), East (77), Midtown (63), North (62), South (43), West (61), and Other (26). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) NORTH: Assist EMS/Fire – 8:18 am. The victim (24-year-old WM) was at a construction site on Di Loreto Ave when he fell from a 4th floor balcony. An MPD officer provided life-saving measures until MFD paramedics arrived. The victim suffered severe injuries to his lower extremities and head and was transported to the hospital. MFD has the lead on the investigation. Incident report completed on MPD website.
2) WEST: Drug Overdose – 8:43 am. A family member found the subject (17-year-old WM) unresponsive in bed at his residence. The subject, who has a history of suicide attempts, was transported to the hospital. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 12:03 pm. While a subject (34-year-old WF) was on a phone call at work, co-workers overheard a male voice on the phone tell the subject he was an officer who had a warrant for her arrest for failure to appear and that she owed a large sum of money. The subject left work while still on the phone. Her co-workers believed this to be a scam and contacted police. Contact was eventually made with the subject who had withdrawn money from her account but had not given it to the caller. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Residential Burglary – 1:04 pm. The victim (22-year-old HM) reported a firearm was stolen from his residence on W Doty St sometime the previous evening. The suspect is at large. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Traffic Incident/OMVWI – 4:05 pm. The suspect (43-year-old AAM) was turning from S Park St onto Buick St when he hit a pedestrian in the crosswalk. The pedestrian/victim (UM) suffered several broken ribs and was transported to the hospital. The suspect was arrested for OMVWI causing injury and operating while revoked. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 4:42 pm. On an earlier call, the suspect (33-year-old AAM) and victim (28-year-old AAF) had been arguing and officers separated them at that time. The suspect later returned to the victim's residence in the 3300 block of E Washington Ave and battered the victim. The suspect was arrested for domestic battery and disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Battery – 5:06 pm. Officers responded to the 4700 block of Cottage Grove Rd for a fight involving three adults and two juveniles. The victim (16-year-old AAM) received minor injuries. All three suspects (32-year-old AAF, 38-year-old AAF, and 36-year-old AAM) were charged with physical abuse of a child and the male suspect received an additional charge of strangulation. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Threats Complaint – 5:17 pm. Employees at a west side clinic reported a co-worker/suspect (55-year-old WM) threatened them. Officers contacted the suspect and witnesses. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 7:58 pm. Multiple callers to dispatch reported hearing gunshots in the area of Leland Dr and Raymond Rd. Officers responded and checked the area. No injuries have been reported at this time. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 10:17 pm. Officers responded to a residence where a victim (39-year-old WF) reported that an argument broke out between her and her boyfriend/suspect (22-year-old AAM). The suspect repeatedly punched the victim in the face and strangled her until she lost consciousness. The suspect was arrested for domestic battery, domestic disorderly conduct and strangulation. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 10:50 pm. Officers responded to the Salvation Army at 630 E Washington Ave where the suspect (39-year-old WF) punched the victim (39-year-old AAF) in the face during an argument. The suspect was arrested for battery and disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
12) MIDTOWN: Runaway Juvenile – 11:53 pm. A parent reported her son (15-year-old AAM) missing from their residence in the 2400 block of Allied Dr after they had argued. The juvenile was listed as missing and an ATL was aired. Investigation continuing.
13) WEST: Disturbance – 12:27 am. Officers responded to a residence on Leland Dr to find a subject (34-year-old WM) battered and unresponsive. The roommate (26-year-old AAM) reports the subject punched him twice in the face and the roommate defended himself. The subject was transported to the hospital where it was determined he had a brain bleed, a broken jaw and required 15 stitches in his lip. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 1:17 am. Officers responded to a residence where the suspect (27-year-old WM) was battering the victim (28-year-old WF). The suspect was apprehended as he attempted to flee the scene. The suspect was charged with strangulation, substantial battery, false imprisonment, felony bail jumping, possession of methamphetamine, simple battery and disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.