The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/26/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/27/2019, MPD received 483 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 483 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (110), East (79), Midtown (64), North (67), South (50), West (73), and Other (40). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 11:33am-2:19pm due to calls for service.
1) NORTH: Non-Residential Burglary – 6:27 a.m. Officers responded to Ryan Funeral Home on N. Sherman Ave for a burglary. A suspect (UM) was observed exiting the building carrying an item. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Death Investigation – 8:13 a.m. Officers responded to an east side assisted living facility for a deceased subject (85-year-old WM). Initial cause of death is self-inflicted. Medical Examiner's Office notified. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Strong Armed Robbery/Adult Arrested Persons – 11:20 a.m. Officers responded to the UW Credit Union on Northport Drive for a robbery. A suspect entered the bank and demanded money (no weapon was observed). Officers spotted a getaway vehicle and a pursuit was initiated. The driver/suspect ditched the vehicle and four subjects fled in the area of E. Washington Ave/Sixth Street. Officers located and detained all four subjects. During the suspect driver's attempt to flee, several vehicle crashes occurred and several subjects reported minor injuries. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
4) SOUTH: Check Person/Mental Health Conveyance – 3:29 p.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a possible suicidal subject (59-year-old WM). Areas checked. The subject was located and taken into protective custody. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. An emergency detention may be sought. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 3:42 p.m. Officers responded to the 500 block of Northport for a report of a large fight involving a gun. No involved subjects were on scene when officers arrived. Video evidence being reviewed. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
6) SOUTH: Death Investigation – 8:12 p.m. Officers, along with EMS/Fire, responded to a south side residence for a report of a subject (25-year-old AAF) down. Lifesaving measures attempted. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital where she was pronounced deceased. The decedent has a history of drug use. Investigation continuing.
7) SOUTH: Check Area – 11:12 p.m. Officers responded to the area of Lu Ann Lane/Leopold Park/Greenway Cross/Pike Drive for multiple reports of shots fired. Areas canvassed. No evidence of shots fired located at this time. Additional canvassing may be necessary during daylight hours. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Information/Disturbance/Cited Adults – 12:00 a.m. Officers responded to N. Thompson Drive for a disturbance between two subjects (24-year-old WF and 30-year-old AAM). The subjects met through social media and an agreement was made to meet for sex. The subjects got into an argument about payment. The female reported that the male grabbed her and pointed a handgun at her. The male gave a different version of how things occurred. Both subjects were cited for solicitation of prostitution. The male was found to be in possession of a handgun but he has no restrictions from owning firearms.
9) CENTRAL: Information/Suspicious Person – 1:04 a.m. Officers met with a victim (20-year-old WF) who reported walking on N. Henry St when she observed an unknown subject/suspect (HM) following closely behind her. The victim stated that the suspect came up from behind her, grabbed her and attempted to push her into an apartment complex. The victim was able to get away. There was a delay in reporting of this incident. K9 track completed. Suspect not located. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Crash/Adult Arrested Person – 3:47 a.m. Officers responded to W. Doty St for a crash. A driver/suspect (29-year-old WM) was driving a motorcycle and lost control of it, crashing into the brick wall of the PSB (jail). The suspect was not wearing a helmet and sustained minor injuries. The suspect was found to be impaired. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with operating a motor vehicle while impaired (3rd offense), possession of cocaine, operating a motorcycle without a valid license and failure to have control. Investigation continuing.
11) WEST: Residential Burglary/Stolen Vehicles – 4:08 a.m. Officers responded to Hill Creek Drive for a report of three stolen vehicles (from the same residence). The suspect(s) found an unlocked vehicle in a driveway and was able to access the garage/home by using a garage door opener. The residents/family were home at the time, sleeping. Early investigation shows that a group of teens had been checking the neighborhood for unlocked vehicles for at least 30 minutes. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
12) MIDTOWN: Crash/Recovered Stolen Auto – 4:30 a.m. Officers responded to the area of North Shore Drive/W. Brittingham Place for a crash. Officers arrived and located an unoccupied vehicle (confirmed to be stolen). Investigation continuing.