Voter Registration

Register to Vote

How to Register

It takes 28 days to establish residency at a new address. Time spent away from your residence counts toward residency as long as you intend to return. When you register, you must prove your current name at your current address. You cannot register to vote at a post office box.

View acceptable forms of Proof of Address.


You may register at My Vote Wisconsin. You must have a valid, unexpired Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin ID to use this option. If the DMV does not have your current address on file, update your address on the DMV website first. Then update your voter registration at My Vote Wisconsin.

At a City Agency

Madison residents may register at the front desk of any City agency until 20 days before an election. This includes Madison Public Library locations.

You may register in the City Clerk’s Office up to two weeks before Election Day.

By Mail

Registration forms are available in English, Spanish, and Hmong. Download and print the application. Fill it out and mail it to the City Clerk's office at least 20 days before Election Day. You will need to include Proof of Address with the form.

Mail application to: City Clerk's Office 210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Room 105 Madison, WI 53703

In-Person Absentee Voting Site

Madison residents may register at an absentee voting sites during absentee voting hours. Bring Proof of Address. Voter registration is not available the Saturday, Sunday, or Monday before Election Day.

At the Polls on Election Day

Registering early will save you time on Election Day. However, you can register at the polls on Election Day. Bring Proof of Address.

Military Voters

Members of the military are not required to register to vote. Military and overseas voters may download their absentee ballots online. Learn more about how to vote absentee.

Overseas Voters

Voters who have moved overseas and do not intend to return to live in the U.S. may vote for federal offices. They remain registered at their last Wisconsin address. These voters may register and request absentee ballots using the Federal Postcard Application. Voters permanently living overseas do not need to provide proof of address.

Voters Experiencing Homelessness

Voters experiencing homelessness register where they intend to return on a regular basis. They may use a letter from a social service agency (public or private) as proof of address.

Felony Convictions

Someone convicted of a felony may register to vote after completing the terms of their sentence. They must be "off paper," having completed probation, parole, or extended supervision.

Was this page helpful to you?