College Students

Bucky Badger mascot holding a brochure titled Voting in the City of Madison

You may either register to vote at your campus address, or at your hometown address. Which address you choose is a personal decision.

 If you move within Wisconsin less than 28 days before an election, you can only vote from your old address. For example, if you move a few days before an August Primary, vote at the polling place for where you lived the previous spring semester.

If you are studying abroad, you may vote from the last address at which you established residency.

If you are a UW-Madison student, please note that the WisCard is not an acceptable form of voter ID. You may use a Wisconsin driver license/ID as your voter ID, regardless of the home address listed on the card. Otherwise, you can get a free UW voter ID card from Union South. Other voter ID options would be a tribal ID, a U.S. passport, or a military ID.

For more information about student residency, see the Student Residency Guide.

Was this page helpful to you?