Metro Transit Phase 3A –Maintenance and Driver Facility Improvements
Last Updated: 10/07/2020
This project will provide new bus maintenance lifts, new building infrastructure including new boilers, a new generator, electric service, water service, water softeners and air compressors. The project also includes remodeling and relocation of the parts room and bathrooms. The project also includes construction of a new driver breakroom, driver training room, driver bathrooms and a new main building entrance. Budget is $8.0 M.
Work includes phasing to allow for continuous owner occupancy and 24-hour operations. This project builds on the Phase 1 and Phase 2 projects completed in 2019 and 2020. The improvement work includes, but is not limited to building infrastructure systems (MEPFP), excavation and concrete work to support new lifts and below grade utilities such as trench drains and sanitary connections, general building construction (walls, windows, painting, ceilings, etc) along with MEPFP systems to support the new and remodeled spaces.
This is the third phase of a 4-phase construction project (totaling $30M+). Over the next 3 years the capital improvement plan for this facility is to design and bid a project each year in the $6-9M range:
2019 Construction: Metro Transit Phase 1 Service Bay Addition was the addition of a new service lane addition, totaling ~$6.5M
- See Metro Transit's Phase 1 Flickr page for construction photos.
- 2020 Construction: Metro Transit Phase 2 Facility Improvements was the replacement of HVAC throughout the facility, totaling ~$6.5M
- See Metro Transit's Phase 2 Flickr page for construction photos.
- 2021 Construction: Phase 3A is remodeling of maintenance bays and driver support spaces, including new lifts, and replacement of building infrastructure systems totaling ~$8.0M (THIS PROJECT; design started early 2020 and will be complete end of 2020; bidding January 2021)
- 2022 will not have any construction work at this facility
- 2023 Construction: Phase 3B is remodeling of Admin/Dispatch areas, and the balance of maintenance bays, totaling ~$9.0M (design starting early 2022)
- 2024 and beyond – a potential Phase 5 (3C) and Phase 6 project to complete remodeling of bus storage areas and exterior improvements not currently in the 2021 Capital Budget.
More information regarding the "Metro Transit Space Needs Study" can be found at the Metro Bus Barn Study-East Washington Ave. project page.
City User Agency: Metro Transit
Project Status: Design and Planning: Q1 2020 to Q4 2020
1st Advertisement of Bid: January 2021
Bid Due Date: Mid to late February 2021
Construction Start Date: Early April 2021
Expected Completion Date: End of March 2022
LEED Goals: None for phase 3A. Planning for LEED v4 CI when Admin. area is remodeled
Jan. 27, 2020 File #58743
Resolution authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into a competitively selected service contract with Mead and Hunt for architectural and engineering services for the Metro Transit Maintenance Facility (1101 E. Washington Ave) Phased Facility Upgrade. (6th AD)