Robin Greenway and Orchard Drive Culvert
December 4, 2023 Update
Phase One Construction which includes the larger grading, most tree removals, and storm repairs is 99% complete. Contractors will be removing equipment and placing final erosion control matting ad dormant native seed this week.
Phase Two Construction will begin in January 2024. This includes native woodland and woods edge seeding, planting native trees, shrubs and native sedges, along with ecological maintenance for two years by Field and Stream Ecology. Dead oak trees will be removed this winter while the ground is frozen. These are required to be removed after October by ordinance to stop the spread of oak wilt. In addition, the remaining female box elder trees, buckthorn, Norway maple, black locust trees, and very poor condition or dead trees will be removed. These were not removed during this summer’s contract to make sure that more ecologically sensitive areas would be worked on only when the ground was frozen.View past project updates »
The 2023 Capital Budget adopted a Finance Committee Amendment to fund design and construction for work on the Robin Greenway. This budget amendment includes design and construction to replace the culvert at Orchard Street. It also includes restoration work within the drainage way greenspace to address concerns related to erosion, slope stabilization, tree impacts, access, restoration and long term maintenance of this public property. The City recognizes that this space provides multiple benefits to the community as part of our storm infrastructure. The design process will incorporate public engagement to address community concerns related to tree health, access, vegetation while improving the environmental conditions to minimize erosion, address stormwater impacts and manage long-term vegetation goals. It is important to the City that this space is reflective of shared goals to manage urban ecosystems that serve multiple community and environmental benefits.
Staff met with neighborhood volunteers on July 11th to discuss and identify native and invasive species that the neighborhood could assist with removing. Several neighborhood members attended along with City staff and coordinated next steps for removing invasive species to enhance the woodland understory planting.
Phase One work includes the construction of storm sewer improvements, vegetated path, and tree removals discussed at PIM 2 and at the site walk through with the neighborhood. This phase will be completed in December 2023.
Phase Two will being in January 2024. This will will be bid this fall and will include installation of trees, shrubs, native seeding, and ecological restoration to restore native understory plants and establish new woodland plants. This work also includes removal of dead oak trees that could not be removed in Phase One due to ordinance requirements related to the spread of oak wilt.
Phase One Construction - Complete in December 2023.
Phase Two Construction - Begins January 2024.
There are a number of points of contact during this project where the public is encouraged to give feedback as part of public information meetings and public hearings. Dates, times and locations will be posted once determined.
Public Information Meetings
The City held the following meetings:
- April 11, 2023
- Site walkthrough with neighbors. This meeting notice was sent to the Alder, noticed through the Robin Greenway website updates, and coordinated through neighborhood representatives who helped spread the word and invite community members.
- Design Presented at Site Walkthrough
- March 14, 2023
- In-person Public Information Meeting. This meeting notice was mailed to ~ 800 residents, noticed through the Robin Greenway website, sent to folks who subscribed to receive emails on Robin Greenway through the website, and sent to the Alder.
- March 14th 2023: In Person Meeting Presentation with iClicker Polling
- February 9, 2023
- Online Public Information Meeting: This meeting notice was mailed to ~ 800 residents, noticed through the Robin Greenway website, sent to folks who subscribed to receive emails on Robin Greenway through the website, and sent to the Alder.
- February 9th, 2023: PowerPoint with Online Voting and Breakout Session Notes
- February 9th, 2023: Online Meeting Recorded Presentation
Below is a summary of public engagement from the Public Information Meetings on March 14th and April 11th.
City Process, Meetings
- May 9, 2023 4:30 pm Habitat Stewardship Committee Meeting