There have been 150 stolen vehicles so far in 2019, a 14% increase over same time period last year.
In April of this year, the City had 34 stolen autos reported, representing a 36% increase over April of 2018.
Of the 34 stolen autos reported in April, 28 had keys left in them. Two stolen cars were unlocked and running at the time of the theft.
Stolen auto incidents have occurred at all times of the day but they are more frequent during the overnight hours.
Take into consideration the following crime prevention tips:
- Lock Your Doors.
- Remove Your Keys from the Vehicle.
- Do Not Leave a Spare Key Near Your Vehicle.
- Close the Windows.
- Park in Well-Lit Areas.
- Install an Audible Alarm System and Anti-Theft Device.
- Install a Vehicle Immobilizer System.
- Install a Tracking System.
And remember, look out for your neighbors and lock-it-up!
This content derived from a recent #ChiefKovalsBlog post: http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/chief/blog/?Id=20997