As summertime reaches its peak so does property crime. The Madison Police Department and Madison Area Crime Stoppers have a few tips on how to keep you and your family safe this summer.
- Be aware of what's happening in the neighborhood. Get to know your neighbors and look out for one another.
- Lock your doors, including the garage door. Unlocked doors are open invitations to intruders.
- Don't post on social media that you are leaving town, and wait to post photos after you return from your trip.
- Plan your route – stay within well-traveled routes and walk in groups. There's safety in numbers.
- If your child or teen will be alone a significant amount of time, have him/her check in with you if they plan to leave the house and when they arrive back home.
- Monitor Internet and social media activity to establish children and teens are visiting appropriate sites and following guidelines.
- Always lock your doors and roll up your windows when you leave your car.
- Do not leave valuables in the car. If you must leave prized possessions in your vehicle keep them out of sight or hidden in the trunk.
- Remember, "If you see something, say something." If you see people or activities that seem suspicious, report your observations to Crime Stoppers at 266-6014, p3tips.com, or call 911.