It's that time of year for giving... and taking. With so many people shopping online because of the pandemic, we are expected to have a record-breaking year for home deliveries and Porch Pirates this holiday season.
These adventurous thieves feast on crimes of opportunity and convenience, often finding their biggest bounty in apartment complexes and vulnerable front porches.
We're sure you'd like to keep those deliveries this season so you can give them as gifts to friends and family, and not the lurking #PorchPirates.
Here are a few package theft prevention tips:
- Have your packages held at your local carrier facility for pickup
- Take advantage of "Ship To Store" for curbside pickup or Amazon's "Locker" feature
- Request that your package has a signature confirmation upon delivery
- Ask your carrier to place packages in an area out of plain view
- Have packages delivered to your work
- Schedule delivery for times you will be home
- Have packages delivered to a neighbor who is home
- Monitor your front porch (Xfinity Home, Ring doorbell, Nest and others)
Since they are already on your property and porch, some of these #PorchPirates will also check for unlocked doors. So, make sure that the exterior of your home and any vehicles are locked up every day and night!
The Madison Police Department sees a lot of neighborhoods fall victim to theft from autos and garages when the majority of these crimes can be deterred from simply locking them up! Follow Madison Police Department on social media for periodic safety tips and friendly reminders to Lock-It-Up! #NIGHTLYLOCKUP #9PMROUTINE
Link to Flyers/Pamphlets on Safety