The purpose of the Inclusive Workplace APM (2-52) is to address the needs of transgender, gender non-conforming, and nonbinary employees, and to protect the legal rights and safety of all employees.
In all cases, the City’s goal is to:
- Ensure the safety and comfort of transgender, gender non-conforming, and nonbinary employees.
- Maintain a safe and affirming process for employees who want to transition in the workplace.
- Prevent stigmatization of employees.
- Create a safe and productive workplace environment for all employees.
As a City employee, it's important for you to become familiar with these goals, the APM, Resource Guide, and Language Style Guide (found under Resources below) to help foster and promote an inclusive work environment for all.
If you are a supervisor, you have a particular responsibility to ensure your team's work environment is inclusive for existing, new, and future employees.
- APM 2-52 Gender-Inclusive Workplace Evaluation Plan Summary
- Video: Overview of the Gender-Inclusive Workplace Initiative Efforts (23 minutes, 8 seconds)
- Reviewing the History of APM 2-52 (0:00 - 7:25)
- Current and Remaining APM 2-52 2023 Action Items (7:26 - 17:14)
- How YOU Can Make a Difference (17:15 - 23:08)
- APM: APM 2-52: Inclusive Workplace - Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming, and Nonbinary Employees (7/28/22)
- Resource Guide: Resource Guide for Transgender, Gender non-Conforming, and Nonbinary Employees (7/28/22)
- Language Style Guide: Gender-Inclusive Language Style Guide (7/28/22)
These tools and resources help support transgender employees in the workplace. Please note, not every situation that might occur is outlined - the needs of each employee should be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Learn With Us - Available Courses:
- LGBTQ+ Part 1: Creating Inclusive Spaces with Molly Herrmann
- LGBTQ+ Part 2: Contributing to Systemic Change with Molly Herrmann
- Supervisors Building a Gender-Inclusive Workplace with Molly Herrmann
- Gender-Inclusive Language with AJ Hardie
In 2022, LGBTQ+ Parts 1 & 2 courses were introduced to the City's workforce. In 2023, Supervisors Building a Gender-Inclusive Workplace and Gender-Inclusive Language were successfully piloted and additional sessions were scheduled. Use the hyperlinked course titles above to learn more and register for upcoming offerings.
Bi-Monthly All-Staff Communications Archive:
The Gender-Inclusive Workplace Implementation Team sends out bi-monthly communications which provides updates to all employees on what's currently happening, what you should know, and includes calls to action. You can find PDF versions of each communication below:
Who to Contact:
If you have questions, concerns, or need help supporting the folks you supervise, please don't hesitate to reach out to our confidential inbox: InclusiveWorkplace@cityofmadison.com