Johnson St, East
Last Updated: 07/23/2019
Project Schedule Overview:
- Stage 1 (present thru mid-April):
- Traffic: East Johnson one lane each direction on existing outside lanes
- Construction: temp pavement crossover construction in medians, water main on First Street
- Stage 2 (mid-April thru early-July):
- Traffic: East Johnson one lane each bi-directional on existing outbound lanes and temp crossovers
- Construction: inbound East Johnson, First Street southbound widening, Fordem intersection
- Stage 3 (early-July thru mid-September):
- Traffic: East Johnson one lane each direction on new inbound pavement and temp crossovers
- Construction: outbound East Johnson, First Street median and northbound left turn lanes
- Stage 4: (mid-September thru late-October):
- Traffic: East Johnson one lane each direction split to the outside lanes
- Construction: East Johnson median and center pavement, Thornton cul-de-sac and Yahara path
- Stage 5: (late-October thru mid-November):
- Traffic: East Johnson closed and detoured for 3 consecutive days each direction
- Construction: East Johnson final layer of asphalt pavement and pavement markings
- Overall Completion Date: November 15, 2019.
Current Stage: Stage 2 on First St., E. Johnson St./STH 113 and Fordem Ave. was switched to stage 3 on 6-21-19.
Work this week (week of 7/26/2019):
- Installing Water main services this week from Baldwin St. heading east towards Yahara River.
- Sanitary sewer placement beginning at Sta. 87+45 Rt. (near Yahara River) and working west.
- 18” Storm Sewer connection to trunk line for Fleet Bldg. sta. 97+50 Rt.
- Curb & Gutter Staking.
- Layout for MG&E duct package relocation.
East Johnson and First St. traffic switch to Stage 3 completed Friday, June 21st
- One lane bi-directional traffic shifted to existing inbound lanes
- Pedestrian traffic is per plan for Stage 3 (Phase1) with crossings at N. Baldwin St., N. Thornton Ave. underpass, fordem Ave. (west side) and First St. (East side). Sidewalks are available along south side of E. Johnson from Thornton Ave to Bike path near Wisconsin Southern tracks and north side of E. Johnson St. from back entrance of apartment building near Yahara river to existing project to the east. Sidewalk on First St. is available on East side of Roadway with crossings at E. Mifflin St. and E. Johnson St.
Bike and Pedestrian Routing Plans
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan – Phase 1B
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan – Phase 2
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan – Phase 2A and 2B
- E Johnson Bike and Ped Routing Plan – Stage 3 Phase 1
Overall Completion Date: November 15, 2019.
E. Johnson St. from Baldwin St. to First St.
Design 2015 – 2018
Construction April 1, 2019 – mid-November 2019
During construction, both East Johnson Street and First Street (STH 113) will be constructed in multiple stages to maintain at least one lane of traffic in each direction. Short term closures of E Johnson Street and Fordem Avenue will be required during construction and directional detours will be utilized.
Pedestrians will be accommodated throughout construction. One side of the street will remain open to pedestrians at all times. Intersections will be staged so that at least one crosswalk is provided across each street at the intersections of Fordem Avenue and First Street (STH 113).
The City will remove the concrete pavement and replace with asphalt pavement and new gravel base. The curb and gutter will be replaced on both sides of the street for the entire length of the project.
As part of the reconstruction bus stop and pedestrian and bicycle crossing improvements will be made. Existing sidewalk will be spot replaced as needed and new 10-foot wide multi-use path, 1-foot-wide buffer and 5-foot-wide sidewalk will be constructed along the south side of East Johnson Street from the Yahara River through North First Street (STH 113).
The proposed project also includes widening of North First Street (STH 113) between East Johnson Street and East Mifflin Street to provide two southbound lanes to East Washington Avenue and to provide dual left- and right-turn lanes at the East Johnson Street intersection. Driveway aprons will be replaced to match the existing driveway width at the back of the sidewalk.
The project also includes the replacement of sanitary sewer, water main, storm sewer inlets, street lighting, pavement marking, and signs.
In addition, because of the 2018 flooding that impacted E. Johnson Street, the roadway will be raised between Dickinson Street and the Yahara River to reduce the potential for future roadway flooding/closures.
An overall plan of the project can be found here: Overall Plan
Public Information Meetings
A public information meeting was held on Thursday, April 4, 2019 at Lapham Elementary School, 1045 E. Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53703, from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm in the school auditorium. The City provided a presentation and answered questions regarding the project. The presentation from the meeting can be found here: April 4, 2019 Public Meeting Presentation
November 10, 2016 - Festival Foods
A public information meeting was held on November 10, 2016 at Festival Foods (Community Conference Room), 810 E Washington Ave. Madison, WI 53703, 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm. The City provided a presentation and answered questions regarding the project.
April 28, 2016 - Lapham Elementary School
A public information meeting was held on Apr 28, 2016 at Lapham Elemetary School, 1045 E. Dayton St. Madison WI 53703, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm. The City provided a brief presentation on the project and answered any questions and listened to public input. Materials from the meeting are available below: