University Avenue is being reconstructed from Shorewood Boulevard/Hill Street to University Bay Drive/Farley Avenue. The project includes reconstruction of pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalk, street lighting, traffic signals, water main, sanitary sewer, and storm sewer. Pedestrian and bicycle connectivity, bus rapid transit initiatives, and stormwater drainage will be improved, and the project will include a new pedestrian/bike overpass of University Bay Drive, a widened sidewalk along the southerly side of University Avenue, and a 96-inch storm sewer pipe to help improve drainage in the area.
Starting the Week of Feb. 13, 2023
- AT&T has private utility work that is not directly associated with the construction project, that is anticipated to take place through early April. This work will require lane closures for westbound University Ave. between Marshall Ct. and Shorewood Blvd.
- Standard weekly construction updates will resume once the University Ave. contractor resumes work on the project, which is anticipated for late March or early April, weather depending.
The multi-use path on the north side of University Ave. will remain open until the pedestrian overpass work begins in spring 2023. Please be aware the multi-use path will require some temporary shifts and other adjustments to accommodate the work taking place at University Bay Dr. Advisory signs will be in place to notify pedestrians of sidewalk closures and alternative routes. Note that the work is weather dependent and may be subject to change.
- Please be aware that there is ongoing private utility work occurring within the project limits that may not be included on this update for the University Ave. roadway construction. If you require additional information on the private utility work, please provide your inquiry to ENComments@cityofmadison.com and the University Ave. project team will put you in direct contact with the appropriate private utility company performing the work.
View the full University Weekly Update Flyer
University Ave is scheduled for reconstruction from Shorewood Boulevard/Hill St to University Bay Drive/Farley Ave. The City of Madison is jointly participating with the Village of Shorewood Hills on the design and construction. The project includes reconstruction of pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalk as necessary, street lighting, traffic signals, water main, sanitary sewer and storm sewer. Alternatives to improve pedestrian & bicycle connectivity, bus rapid transit initiatives and stormwater drainage have been reviewed, and the project plans have been updated to include a new pedestrian & bike overpass of University Bay Dr., a widened sidewalk along the southerly side of University Ave., and a 96-inch storm sewer pipe to help improve drainage in the area. The project continues to be coordinated with the City’s planning efforts for bus rapid transit.
Full Project Map
Typical Section Example
University Bay Overpass Alternative
Project Fact and Details Sheet
View a larger image of proposed improvements
Shorewood Boulevard/Hill St to University Bay Drive/Farley Ave.
Construction is scheduled for 2022.
There are a number of points of contact during this project where the public is encouraged to give feedback as part of public information meetings and public hearings. Dates and times are indicated below:
Public Information Meetings
The monthly resident and business coordination meeting will occur at the project field office (3230 University Avenue, Suite 7) at 11 a.m., Nov. 9, 2022
- March 11, 2021 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- March 11, 2021 Public Information Meeting Recording
- Univ Ave (Shore-Univ Bay Dr) Roll Plot Exhibit
- Dec. 18, 2019 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Dec. 18, 2019 Public Information Meeting Display Photo
- June 13, 2019 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- June 13, 2019 Public Information Meeting Preliminary Plan Overview
- The residents and businesses impacted by the University Avenue project is welcome to attend a monthly coordination meeting to discuss the University Avenue construction project. The coordination meeting will be held on the second Wednesday of each month at 11 a.m., 3230 University Avenue, Suite No. 7. The first meeting was held June 8, 2022. Integrity Grading and Excavating will give a construction schedule update at each meeting followed by an open platform for any questions and/or concerns with the ongoing construction operations.
City Meetings, Process
Board of Public Works: June 16, 2021
Transportation Commission: April 15, 2020
Common Council: July 6, 2021
Extension of work hours for Construction Activities (Starting around Aug. 15, 2022)