November 26, 2023 Update
Work the Week of Nov. 27, 2023
On November 22, 2023, the traffic configuration on University Ave. was changed to a condition that moved the two eastbound lanes to be moved onto the newly completed asphalt pavement on the south side of the roadway. University Avenue Traffic Configuration (Anticipated 11-22-23).pdf
Curb and gutter work and installation of street lighting fixtures and traffic signals in the medians along University Ave. will continue throughout the week.
The contractor anticipates changing traffic into the overwinter configuration on December 2, 2023. The overwinter condition opens all lanes on University Ave. and side streets with a temporary median divider between the eastbound and westbound lanes on University Ave.
Please note that off-peak single lane closures will be required in both directions on University Ave. in order to switch traffic into the overwinter traffic configuration.
Work the Week of Dec. 4, 2023
The contractor will complete work for the 2023 construction season on Ridge Street, Franklin Ave. and Schmitt Pl. and install temporary pavement at these side streets for the overwinter condition.
Traffic signal components will be installed at the intersections of University Ave. and Shorewood Blvd. and University Ave. and University Bay Dr. Please note that the temporary traffic signals will continue to be utilized at these intersections while permanent traffic signal work are being installed and tested.
Traffic is anticipated to change into an overwinter condition on approximately December 2, 2023. Single lane closures and/or traffic flagging operations on University Ave., as well as side streets, may be required during off-peak travel periods (9 AM to 3 PM). Sidewalk and pedestrian crosswalk adjustments, as well as minor changes to Madison Metro Transit bus stop locations, will occur periodically. Please note that Madison Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) work is scheduled to begin within the University Ave. project limits starting December 4, 2023. Updates on work related to the BRT project can be found here: https://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/routes-schedules/bus-rapid-transit Note that the work is weather dependent and may be subject to change.View past project updates »
University Ave is scheduled for reconstruction from Shorewood Boulevard/Hill St to University Bay Drive/Farley Ave. The City of Madison is jointly participating with the Village of Shorewood Hills on the design and construction. The project includes reconstruction of pavement, curb and gutter, sidewalk as necessary, street lighting, traffic signals, water main, sanitary sewer and storm sewer. Alternatives to improve pedestrian & bicycle connectivity, bus rapid transit initiatives and stormwater drainage have been reviewed, and the project plans have been updated to include a new pedestrian & bike overpass of University Bay Dr., a widened sidewalk along the southerly side of University Ave., and a 96-inch storm sewer pipe to help improve drainage in the area. The project continues to be coordinated with the City’s planning efforts for bus rapid transit.
Shorewood Boulevard/Hill St to University Bay Drive/Farley Ave.
Construction is scheduled for 2022.
There are a number of points of contact during this project where the public is encouraged to give feedback as part of public information meetings and public hearings. Dates and times are indicated below:
Public Information Meetings
- March 11, 2021 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- March 11, 2021 Public Information Meeting Recording
- Univ Ave (Shore-Univ Bay Dr) Roll Plot Exhibit
- Dec. 18, 2019 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Dec. 18, 2019 Public Information Meeting Display Photo
- June 13, 2019 Public Information Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- June 13, 2019 Public Information Meeting Preliminary Plan Overview
- The residents and businesses impacted by the University Avenue project are welcome to attend a monthly coordination meeting to discuss the University Avenue construction project. The coordination meeting will be held on the second Wednesday of each month at 11 a.m., 3230 University Avenue, Suite No. 7. The first meeting was held June 8, 2022. Integrity Grading and Excavating will give a construction schedule update at each meeting followed by an open platform for any questions and/or concerns with the ongoing construction operations.
City Meetings, Process
Board of Public Works: June 16, 2021
Transportation Commission: April 15, 2020
Common Council: July 6, 2021
Extension of work hours for Construction Activities (Starting around Aug. 15, 2022)