Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.
For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Services page.
Outdoor Eating Areas
Frequently Asked Questions
How are outdoor eating areas on private property different from the Streatery program introduced during COVID?
The previous Streatery Program was a temporary program put into place through a COVID-19 emergency order. The order allowed Zoning and other City departments to waive requirements that would otherwise apply to outdoor eating areas.
Outdoor eating areas are now an allowed use in the zoning code and all ordinance requirements apply as they would to any other site change.
Unlike the Streatery program, once your outdoor eating area on private property has been approved, the same outdoor eating area plan can be installed year after year without the need for an annual re-application. Please note, outdoor eating areas within the public right-of-way (street or sidewalk) will still need to apply and receive approval annually.
What do I need to submit to get approval for an outdoor eating area?
See the Outdoor Eating Area Submission Checklist for a detailed list of requirements, including:
- Parking Lot / Site Plan Approval Application (page 3 of the PDF) emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scaled site plan
- Fence details
- $100 application fee - To make a payment, make an appointment with the Zoning Counter.
Example site plans and fence details are available to assist you with understanding the requirements for submission.
Do I need to hire an architect to draw my site plan?
No, you are not required to hire an architect or other design professional to draw your site plan. However, if you do not have an accurate site plan or the ability to make one, hiring someone to create a site plan is an option. To find out if your establishment has a site plan on file that can be used to develop your outdoor eating area site plan, contact Zoning at email@example.com or 608-266-4551.
Why do Outdoor Eating Area reviews take longer than Streetery program approvals that were done during the COVID-19 emergency?
Because we are no longer operating under an emergency order, all temporarily-waived requirements now apply. More detailed plans and information are required to determine if all requirements are met. Reviews include determining if the number of automobile and bicycle parking spaces can be reduced and reviewing previous approvals for your site. In some cases, additional approval by the Plan Commission or Urban Design Commission is required.
No, once your outdoor eating area on private property has been approved, the same outdoor eating area plan can be installed year after year without the need for an annual re-application. Please note, outdoor eating areas within the street, on the sidewalk, and within the public right-of-way will still need to apply and receive approval annually.
I thought outdoor eating areas were permitted uses now. Why do I need to go the Plan Commission before mine can be approved?
Some establishments will still be required to receive additional approval for an outdoor eating area. Some examples are:
- Located within an Urban Design District
- Located within a Planned Development (PD) zoning district
- Previously approved as a conditional use
- Reduction of the number of parking spaces beyond what can be approved administratively
- Outdoor eating area open past 9:00 PM
- Outdoor eating area with live music or outdoor amplified sound
Questions? Contact Zoning staff at (608) 266-4551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search BI services
- Additions to a Home - One & Two Family Residential
- Attic - alterations or conversions
- Basement - alterations or conversions
- Bathroom - alterations
- Central Air Conditioner - install
- Chickens (Raising)
- Deck - build
- Demolition of Structures
- Development Services Center
- Door Replacement
- Dwelling Units, Change Number of - 1 & 2 Family Residential
- Dwelling Units, Change Number of - Other Residential
- Electrical Work, All
- Exterior Building & Property Complaints
- Fence - install or replace
- Furnace - install
- Garage - build or replace
- Garage - demolish
- Graffiti Enforcement
- Home Heating and Cold Weather Safety
- Hot Tub, Whirlpool, Spa - install
- House (1 & 2 Family) - New Construction
- Housing Complaint
- Interior Property Complaints
- J There are no listings.
- Kitchen - alterations
- L There are no listings.
- Multi-Family Residential - New Construction
- Non-Residential - New Construction
- Occupancy Standards
- Parking Lot
- Q There are no listings.
- Rent Abatement
- Rental Property Emergency Contact
- Roofing - Reroof your house or garage
- Screened Porch
- Security Deposits and Rent Credits
- Shed - build or replace
- Shed - demolish
- Siding - replace on house or garage
- Signs & Street Graphics
- Snow Enforcement
- Snow Sidewalk Clearing
- Solar Energy System - install
- Street Occupancy
- Swimming Pool
- Tavern Capacities
- U There are no listings.
- V There are no listings.
- Water Heater - install
- Water Softener - install
- Weights & Measures, New Business
- Windows & Frames - replace
- X There are no listings.
- Y There are no listings.
- Z There are no listings.
Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need
- an interpreter
- documents in other formats
- other accommodations
Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas
- un intérprete
- una traducción
- documentos en otros formatos
- otras adaptaciones
Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau
- tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
- ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
- dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
- lwm yam kev pabcuam