Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Beginning June 8, 2020 the Building Inspection plan review and zoning review counters will be open to the public by appointment only.
For information about scheduling an appointment and other Building Inspection services please see the Building Inspection Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.
View all impacts to City service on the City's COVID-19 website.
Obtaining a City of Madison Chicken License
1. Complete the notification requirements based on property type:
- For an owner occupied single family home, notification isn't required.
- A single-family home with renters, notify the property owner and all residents.
- A two, three, or four family home, notify the property owner and all residents of the property.
- A museum, school or day care center, notify the owner or operator of the property.
Note: Notification is not required for annual license renewal.
2. Register with the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. Fill out the free "Livestock Premises Registration Application."
- Complete the form online
- Or print it, fill it out, and fax it to (608) 224-5034?
- Once registered, you have a registration number.
3. Complete the application for a chicken license.
Please note: To apply online, you'll need a digital copy of your Livestock Premises Registration.
- Log in to your account on the City of Madison Licenses & Permits portal to fill out this application. If you don’t have an account, register for one now.
- Go to the Licenses/Registrations tab and click on Apply for a License/Registration.
- Choose Treasurer - Chicken Owner Registration, and continue through the application.
By Mail or In Person
Mail or bring in your completed application, a copy of your Livestock Premises Registration, and $10 to the City Treasurer's Office. The City Treasurer's Office is in Room 107 of the City County Building, 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Note: You must apply for your chicken license within 30 days of acquiring chickens. You must renew your license annually, before January 1 of each year. The license year begins January 1 and ends on December 31.
Search BI services
Remember, if you're unsure, ask the Zoning Staff
- (608) 266-4551
For interpreter, translator, materials in alternate formats or other accommodations, please call the Building Inspection Division at (608) 266-4551.
Español: Si necesita interprete, traductor, materiales en diferentes formatos, u otro tipo de ayuda para acceder a estos formularios, por favor llame al (608) 266-4551.
Hmoob: Yog tias koj xav tau ib tug neeg txhais lus, txhais ntawv, los sis xav tau cov ntaub ntawv pab kom paub txog cov lus qhia no, thov hu rau Chaw Haujlwm Koog Soj Ntsuam Tsev (Building Inspection Division) (608) 266-4551.