Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.
For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.
View all impacts to City service on the City's COVID-19 website.
Licensing of Scales
Businesses in the City of Madison must license all of their weights and measures devices, including scales, gas pumps and meters, scanner units, timing devices, and yardage measures. A license fee will be charged for each device, and devices will be inspected annually. See license application for specific fees.
Internet Sales of Scales
The National Conference on Weights and Measures has published information related to buying scales on the internet. There are risks associated with such purchases.
1. Know who the seller is. The internet allows deception in this area, do your best to review/research the seller.
2. Look up the NTEP Certificate of Conformance.
3. Understand "legal for trade." See the link to brochure below.
If in doubt, contact your regulatory authority before you buy.
For complete information, see:
Search BI services
Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need
- an interpreter
- documents in other formats
- other accommodations
Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas
- un intérprete
- una traducción
- documentos en otros formatos
- otras adaptaciones
Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau
- tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
- ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
- dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
- lwm yam kev pabcuam
Receive start-up, retention, expansion & attraction information & guidance for your business.
Office of Business Resources »