Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.
For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Services page.
The following tests are performed annually by Weights & Measures inspectors on gas stations in the City of Madison. The tests protect consumers and vendors by ensuring accuracy and reliability of equipment.
Inspectors will cover the following:
1. Verify that street/window signage has all products posted and they match the price on the pump. See Wis statute s.100.18(6) and s.100.18(8).
2. Fuel storage tank lids and twelve inches beyond the lid edge on the surrounding concrete should be painted with the correct color code for that type of fuel or have signage identifying fuel type. (refer to API
1. Pumps start at zero (no computer jump).
2. Accuracy of the pumps per NIST Handbook 44 (each grade/type of fuel) tolerances.
3. Meter creep (pump keeps incrementing after fuel flow has stopped).
4. Correct calculation of monetary value.
5. Verify the anti-drain valve does not allow fuel to drain out of hose once delivery is stopped.
6. Look for any skimming or fraud devices inserted into or attached to the gas pump.
Per chapter 22.06(4) Every owner or operator shall secure the gas pump(s) electronic and payment processing area(s) under their control or ownership by installing a lock(s) that is unique to the pump(s) under their control. This ordinance shall be effective January 1, 2017. (Cr. by ORD-16-00099, Pub. 11-9-16, Eff. 1-1-17)
Search BI services
Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need
- an interpreter
- documents in other formats
- other accommodations
Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas
- un intérprete
- una traducción
- documentos en otros formatos
- otras adaptaciones
Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau
- tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
- ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
- dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
- lwm yam kev pabcuam