Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.
For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Services page.
Tenant & Landlord Rights and Responsibilities
The information on this page applies to tenants and property owners in the City of Madison. The numbers in the text reference the statutes, regulations or ordinances listed below. This is not legal advice. References are for guidance and may not apply to your situation. If you have a legal question, please consult an attorney. You can also call one of the groups or agencies listed on the right.
- Wisconsin Statutes, (Wis. Stats.) Chapters 704 (Tenant/Landlord), 710 (Mobile Homes) & 799 (Small Claims)
- Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection Regulations (ATCP), Chapter 134 (Residential Rental) & 125 (Mobile Homes)
- Madison General Ordinances (MGO), Chapter 32 (Tenant/Landlord)
- Dane County Ordinances (DCO) Chapter 31 (Housing Discrimination)
Search BI services
Tenant and landlord resources
Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection,
Tenant Resource Center
Rental Rights & Responsibilities: (608) 257-0006
Housing Lists & Eviction Prevention: (608) 242-7406
Housing Mediation Service:(608) 257-2799
Department of Civil Rights (Housing Discrimination)
Fair Housing Center of Greater Madison
Complaint Intake: 1-877-647-3247
Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin
City of Madison Police Department: Non-Emergency
City of Madison Fire Department: Non-Emergency
Dane County Small Claims Court: For information on the mechanics of filing a small claims suit.
Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need
- an interpreter
- documents in other formats
- other accommodations
Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas
- un intérprete
- una traducción
- documentos en otros formatos
- otras adaptaciones
Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau
- tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
- ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
- dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
- lwm yam kev pabcuam
With WI Housing Search, find market-rate to affordable housing. You can also look up accessible units, housing for seniors, veterans, etc.