Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.

For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Coronavirus (COVID-19) page.

View all impacts to City service on the City's COVID-19 website.

Permit Renewal

All ZTRHP permits must be renewed by June 30 each year.

Permit renewal includes:

  1. ZTRHP-R Renewal Form
  2. Any changes since your last permit payment to:
    • Floor plans
    • Affidavits -- which are needed for all hosts and cohosts listed in your online advertised listings and other advertising locations
  3.  Annual permit fee of $100
ZTRHP Permit Renewal DETAILS
  1. Download Renewal Form: ZTRHP-R
  2. Download Forms for any Changes:
    With the ZTRHP-R form, include updated forms showing any changes:
    1. Go here to find all forms
    2. Select and update only the forms that have changes
    3. Save and submit updated forms along with the ZTRHP-R form
    4. Allow at least two (2) weeks for Zoning staff to review new reported updates before issuing a renewal
  3. How to Submit Renewal Form(s) and Fee
    Download the ZTRHP-R form, complete, and submit (along with any changes listed above) to:
    • Mail: ZTRHP Permit Renewal, Building Inspection Division
      City of Madison, PO Box 2984, Madison, WI 53701-2984
    • In Person: Building Inspection Division, City of Madison,
      215 Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd, Lower Level Room 017
      Schedule an appointment at Zoning Counter.
    • Dropbox: Located outside 215 MLK Jr Blvd at the East Doty Street entrance. Label envelope as “Zoning--ZTRHP”
    • Online: You may renew online if you applied for your ZTRHP permit online. Upload document(s) through your online account.
Last Updated: 06/24/2021

Search BI services

Permit & License Required

Currently, all TRH operators must have a valid TRH license from Public Health before advertising or renting out any short-term rental. As of 10/1/20, all operators must also have a valid Zoning Tourist Rooming House Permit (ZTRHP).


Remember - If you are unsure, ask the Zoning Staff

Translation Services

Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need

  • an interpreter
  • translation
  • documents in other formats
  • other accommodations

Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas

  • un intérprete
  • una traducción
  • documentos en otros formatos
  • otras adaptaciones

Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau

  • tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
  • ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
  • dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
  • lwm yam kev pabcuam