Skip to main content

Appointment Only

Building Inspection is open to the public by appointment only.

For more on appointments and other services, please see the Building Inspection Services page.

Quarterly Reporting

Due Dates

All TRH operators must submit a ZTRHP-QR quarterly report anytime during the month after a quarter has ended. Do not submit QR reports before the quarter has ended. They are due on the first of the following month.

  • Quarter 1: (Jan, Feb, Mar) Submit QR report during the month of April. Report is due May 1.
  • Quarter 2: (Apr, May, June) Submit QR report during the month of July. Report is due Aug 1.
  • Quarter 3: (July, Aug, Sept) Submit QR report during the month of Oct. Report is due Nov 1.
  • Quarter 4: (Oct, Nov, Dec) Submit QR report during the month of Jan. Report is due Feb 1


What is required

Quarterly Reports (QRs) must be filled out completely and submitted online by the required deadline after each quarter ends for all TRH operators. QRs include 2 parts (Advertising Locations and Registry), which are both required even if you have not advertised and/or hosted any reservations during the quarter. If you have not advertised during the quarter, enter “NO ADVERTISING” on the Advertising locations page. If no reservations, enter “NO RESERVATIONS” on your Registry. Include the year on all dates in your registry. You can use both the ZTRHP1-D (Advertising Locations) and the ZTRHP1-E (Guest Registry) forms instead of the QR form.


Download QR form template

Choose one of the file formats below:


How to Submit Forms

All Quarterly Reports must be now be submitted online. We will not be accepting QRs by U.S. mail, email, or other paper delivery to our office. Here’s how to submit online:

  1. Log in to the City of Madison Licenses & Permits website.
  2. Click on the Permitting tab near the top of the page, and your ZTRHP Tourist Rooming House permit will appear under the Records header.
  3. Click on your ZTRHP permit to select it.
  4. Click on Record Info. A drop-down menu will open. Choose the Attachments option from the drop down menu.
  5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the Add button.
    1. In the File Upload dialog box, Click the Add button.
      1. Browse to the file location on your device where your Quarterly Report is located.
      2. Select the appropriate file.
      3. Click on the Open button.
    2. Click on the Continue button when the upload is complete.
  6. Click on the appropriate document type in the Type drop-down.
    1. Select QR-Quarterly Reporting in the drop-down.
  7. In the Description box: type “2022-Q2”. Please use this format (year first, then quarter number)
  8. Click the Save button.
  9. Repeat if you have additional files to upload.
  10. You’re done!


If you do not have an online account, create an online account now and contact to tell us what email address you are using. Zoning staff will connect it to your ZTRHP permit. You may need to wait up to a week for Zoning to connect your account. Please create this account now and notify zoning as soon as possible about the email address you used.

Last Updated: 11/28/2023

Search BI services

Permit & License Required

Currently, all TRH operators must have a valid TRH license from Public Health before advertising or renting out any short-term rental. As of 10/1/20, all operators must also have a valid Zoning Tourist Rooming House Permit (ZTRHP).


Remember - If you are unsure, ask the Zoning Staff

Translation Services

Call us at (608) 266-4551 if you need

  • an interpreter
  • translation
  • documents in other formats
  • other accommodations

Llámanos al (608) 266-4551 si necesitas

  • un intérprete
  • una traducción
  • documentos en otros formatos
  • otras adaptaciones

Hu xovtooj rau peb tim (608) 266-4551 yog koj xav tau

  • tus neeg txhais lus Hmoob
  • ntawv txhais ua lus Hmoob
  • dcov ntaub ntawv hloov ua lwm yam hom ntawv
  • lwm yam kev pabcuam