Tag: Community Partnerships
September 7, 2016 1:01 PM
Last month, MPD conducted both our Black Youth Academy and our Latino Youth Academy, marking our fifth and sixth years, respectively, for these youth outreach and education programs for area eighth-graders. This year, MPD partnered with Fitchburg, Middleton, and Sun Prairie Police Departments and … [read more]
August 15, 2016 12:50 PM
After serving our community for 32 years, my classmate Joe Balles, retired from MPD last January. Captain Joe Balles was the venerable face of MPD in a variety of contexts but none more memorable than as the leader of the South Police District. And while Joe may have officially … [read more]
August 3, 2016 2:35 PM
Next Thursday night, August 11th, from 5:30pm-8pm, Madison will be celebrating our National Night Out event at Penn Park. This event is for all city residents and we hope to see as many Madisonians as possible attend! There will be a number of activities for children (including a bounce … [read more]
August 1, 2016 2:21 PM
Today's guest blog was authored by Lt Dan Olivas "Are you really just here to help people?" The police officer paused in their conversation with the front desk clerk and turned to the woman who had just walked in the front door of the motel. "We sure are," responded the … [read more]
May 31, 2016 8:46 AM
Guardianship is most effective when it is proactive not just reactive. When police respond to crimes or crises in the community, the damage in most cases has already been done and our role becomes one of tending to the victims, apprehending suspects, and doing what we can to help put the … [read more]
April 25, 2016 9:00 AM
This coming weekend marks yet another rite of spring . . .the annual passage that I refer to in a whisper (and certainly not for public proclamation) as the dreaded “M” word . . .(Mifflin). This “block” party has longstanding roots dating back to the anti-war protests of 1969. … [read more]
March 15, 2016 8:24 AM
With his recent visit to Madison, the 14th Dalai Lama spoke again to a packed theater at the Overture Center. His message was at once simple and profound: World peace is developed from inner peace, and the foundation for both is love. To best serve as guardians of democracy, police … [read more]
February 23, 2016 3:43 PM
The Madison Police Department has long enjoyed a reputation as a national leader in progressive policing with an emphasis on problem solving and community engagement. Nowhere is this more pronounced than in the vibrant relationship building that is taking place in a number of neighborhoods … [read more]
February 11, 2016 7:18 AM
Last week, our nationally recognized specialized police response program serving people with mental illness in our community took another leap forward with the addition of a dedicated in-house Crisis Worker from Journey Mental Health Center. This type of co-located or co-responder model has … [read more]
January 8, 2016 8:57 AM
With the new year upon us comes the inevitable ritual where we consider “resolutions” to strive for in 2016. Both at work as well as at home, I am bombarded by those who are thrusting THEIR suggestions on ME for 2016, to include nonsense such as cutting down on my consumption of … [read more]
October 20, 2015 3:29 PM
Issues of racial disparity in Dane County have been well-chronicled. Whether the context be education, economics or the criminal justice system, the sad fact remains that people of color are starkly impacted. In the near future, an ad hoc committee convened by the City will … [read more]
October 6, 2015 2:05 PM
The Madison Police Department is pleased to announce it has received a $156,000 federal criminal justice innovation grant to help overcome social divisions, improve trust between police and residents, and reduce crime within Southwest Madison. U.S. Department of Justice funding will enable … [read more]
September 4, 2015 9:22 AM
Have a cell phone you want to sell? How about a coffee table? These days it is very common to post items for sale on-line. We have all heard about scams that have taken place when it comes to selling/buying an item. While it is true that the majority of “transactions” are … [read more]
August 17, 2015 8:49 AM
Community Partnership exists as one of the Core Values of the Madison Police Department. For many years we were incredibly fortunate to partner with Dr. Darren Bean. Under his direction, the MPD became one of the first police agencies in the country to implement ‘Cardio Cerebral … [read more]
August 10, 2015 9:30 AM
On August 17, 2015, Sergeant Chris Boyd will be retiring from the Madison Police Department. With her departure, our Department will be losing a valuable asset and ambassador of the Madison Police Department K9 Unit. Sergeant Boyd has been the supervisor of the K9 Unit for the past ten years. … [read more]
July 13, 2015 9:32 AM
During my first year in office, several new initiatives were launched in an effort to keep our MPD on the cutting edge of service delivery. To that end, affirmative steps have been taken including: 1. Expanding our reach into more neighborhoods with the creation of five … [read more]
July 6, 2015 7:50 AM
Focused community outreach initiatives are born out of an understanding that police cannot go it alone. We cannot begin to address the complex issues affecting our quality of life without assistance from citizens and the many diverse groups who work in and for the community. The Madison … [read more]
June 2, 2015 2:29 PM
Last Friday night (5/29), I was one of literally hundreds of individuals who had the opportunity to listen to Reverend Dr. Alex Gee, Jr. at the Alliant Energy Center. For those who have not had the chance to listen to the oratory of Gee, make a point of putting it on your bucket list as he … [read more]
May 27, 2015 3:25 PM
A few months ago, I was approached by the President/CEO of the YMCA of Dane County, Carrie Wall, to discuss ways in which we might partner with them to create unique opportunities to connect with youth in our community and to help facilitate a safe space for our youth to engage through structured … [read more]
January 12, 2015 11:33 AM
On January 9, 2015, the group known as the Young, Gifted, and Black Coalition sent an "Open Letter to Police Chief Koval" and recipients including Mayor Paul Soglin and City of Madison Alders. While there were many concerns and "demands" that were directed to me, one paragraph stood out … [read more]
December 16, 2014 1:02 PM
As our nation struggles with looking to improve measures taken to provide for greater transparency, accountability, and sensitivity of our police toward the citizens we are sworn to protect and serve, I have been asked what steps are being taken by MPD. While there is no one-size-fits-all … [read more]
December 10, 2014 2:11 PM
For the last 14 years, officers from the Madison Police Department have been volunteering their time to shop with economically disadvantaged children from our community. The “Shop with a Cop” program started in 2000 and has grown over the years to include the following agencies who work … [read more]
October 28, 2014 8:18 AM
The Madison Police Department's Citizen Police Academy is a program that is designed to give the public a working knowledge and understanding of the values, goals, and operations of the City of Madison Police Department. The objective of the Academy is to improve the lines of communication and … [read more]
September 9, 2014 10:14 AM
The Madison Police Department has a longstanding commitment to partnering with mental health providers, advocates, and consumers in an effort to improve services to those with mental illness. The Department’s nationally recognized Mental Health Liaison Program uses well-trained patrol … [read more]
August 12, 2014 2:17 PM
The Spring Student Party (formally known as the Mifflin Street Block Party) has traditionally been held on the first Saturday in May. The party began in the late 1960’s as a street protest, where students took to street dancing in an effort to bring attention of their disdain for the Vietnam … [read more]
August 6, 2014 12:43 PM
Once again this year, several officers from MPD, other law enforcement agencies, community-based organizations and volunteers will be joining together to host a number of “youth academies” over the next three weeks. All of these youth academies seek to: • Build a relationship of trust … [read more]
July 21, 2014 1:00 PM
An incredibly informative conference and expo is scheduled to take place in Madison in September that our Department wants you to know about! The 2014 Dane County/Wisconsin State Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Conference and Expo is taking place on Friday, September 19, 2014 from 8am-4pm … [read more]
July 15, 2014 12:53 PM
The Madison Police Department is a proud sponsor of CampHERO, an experience for girls in grades K-12. CampHERO, currently in its third year, was created by Girl Scouts of Wisconsin-Badgerland Council in partnership with local police, fire and EMS agencies. CampHERO teaches girls about the … [read more]
July 8, 2014 11:45 AM
The City of Madison Police Department has more than 500 employees, and serves a population of about 243,000. Yet as recently as 2004, the department had virtually no K9 capabilities. While one K9 officer was assigned to the countywide drug unit, the Madison Police Department had no K9s … [read more]
July 3, 2014 11:55 AM
After hosting Rhythm and Booms at Warner Park for the past 21 years, the annual event moved downtown this year. This past Saturday evening marked the first fireworks display viewed from the shores of John Nolen Drive. Madison Police have been working with event organizers and other City and … [read more]
June 20, 2014 3:41 PM
The Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics has been a yearly event in Wisconsin since 1986. The Torch Run in Wisconsin is the largest grass-roots fundraiser and public awareness for Special Olympics. This event is held in all 50 States, 12 Canadian provinces and 48 countries. It … [read more]
June 13, 2014 3:04 PM
On June 4th, a longstanding community partner, Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin (Youth Services/YSOSW), hosted an open house showcasing their newly built facility at 2720 Rimrock Rd. As part of the event, there was a presentation during which Attic Angels donated $125,000 in support of … [read more]
April 14, 2014 3:53 PM
Each and every Madison Police Department officer is trained to respond to and to handle calls that involve persons with a mental illness by use of compassion, appropriate communication/de-escalation and stabilization skills and to work collaboratively toward an effective resolution. We have a … [read more]
April 7, 2014 9:57 AM
In our city there are serious injuries and deaths that occur far too often that we believe can be reduced with a coordinated community-wide effort of agencies working together. One of these agencies helping to pave ways towards this mission is Safe Communities. Safe Communities of … [read more]
March 26, 2014 1:16 PM
There is a new effort and partnership between the Madison Police Department and the residents of the Parkside Apartment complex, located at the corner of W. Washington Avenue and S. Park Street. The area consists of a mix of public and private housing complexes commonly known as the … [read more]
January 24, 2014 11:33 AM
The Madison Police Department recognizes racial disparities within the criminal justice system and is committed to helping mitigate the issues that impact this problem. One of our core values is that we value diversity. We value diversity in our community and also as to the make-up of our … [read more]
January 6, 2014 2:46 PM
19 well-deserved children, 23 Madison Police Department staff members, community agencies and members working together…..this all led to another successful Shop with a Cop event in 2013! The Shop with a Cop event was created in order to reach out to those less fortunate around the … [read more]
November 18, 2013 4:16 PM
Throughout the year the Madison Police Department participates in numerous events not only to bring awareness to important issues but to raise money for them as well. One of these events was our Annual Charity Golf Outing. The Madison Professional Police Officers Association (MPPOA) and … [read more]
November 11, 2013 3:39 PM
All too often there is someone in our community who is involved in a domestic violence relationship that they don’t know how to cope with, how to get out of, how to be safe, or how to ask for help. In January 2011, the Madison Police Department and Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS) … [read more]
November 6, 2013 11:37 AM
When you watch the news or read the news it is almost a certainty that you will learn about negative issues, concerns or problems in a community. It is a reality that these issues exist. I like to bring attention however to positive events in our community that you may or may not be aware … [read more]
October 23, 2013 2:45 PM
In 2004 several Madison Police officers working in the South District started a program now known as Amigos en Azul. The goal of this program was to dissolve cultural barriers, build relationships and to develop positive communication lines with the Latino Community in Dane … [read more]
July 5, 2013 11:43 AM
Each day, the men and women of the Madison Police Department can be seen responding to traffic crashes, assisting citizens, processing records, and performing other important tasks. Through my 29 years with the Madison Police Department, I continue to take pride in the commitment of the … [read more]
April 24, 2013 11:53 AM
There is some good news to report as we take a look at Madison's crime numbers from this past year, 2012. The big picture is our crime numbers dropped 3.4 percent when compared to 2011. We saw significant decreases in several key crime categories: assault, homicide, motor … [read more]
Subscribe to Email List
Posts By Month
Posts By Category
- Community Partnerships
- Crime Statistics
- "Shots Fired" Task Force
- 2014 Rhythm and Booms
- 2015 Citizen's Academy
- 2016 Pre-Service Academy Swearing-In...
- A Discussion about MPD's Deadly Forc...
- A Message from Chief Koval about the...
- A MPD Intern's Perspective
- A Report Card for $400k? What's Imp...
- A Tough Week for MPD
- Activities of Off-Duty Officers
- An Overview of MPD's Latest Initiati...
- Announcing MPD's 57th Graduating Class
- Apply to be a Madison Police Officer...
- Apply to MPD's Citizen Academy
- Assistant Chief Gaber's Visit to the...
- Awaiting a Decision from the Distric...
- Black and Latino Youth Academies
- Bryan Stevenson Visits MPD's Academy
- Chief Koval's Community Forums
- Chief Koval's Mailbag on a variety o...
- Chief Koval's Reflections - Protests...
- Chief Koval's Response to DA's Decision
- Community Forums with Chief Koval
- Community Outreach Spotlight: Amigo...
- Community Policing for All
- Dane County/MPD Community Restorativ...
- Debunking and Clarifying Urban Myths...
- Effective Guardianship through Commu...
- Final Blog from Randy Gaber as Inter...
- Freakfest 2014
- Freakfest 2015
- Friday Nights at the Y - Join us for...
- Gangs in Madison and Why Kids Join G...
- Happy New Year!
- Heroin Epidemic
- Hispanic Heritage Month September 15...
- Holiday Safety Tips
- Hope for the Future Based on Candida...
- How to Safely Sell Items On-line, Ho...
- Immigration Reform is about Communit...
- It's the Small Things that Matter
- Juneteenth Day Celebration - Saturda...
- Law Enforcement Torch Run for Specia...
- Love (or at least get to know) Thy N...
- Madison Police Continue to "Give Back"
- Madison Police Department and CampHERO
- Madison Police Department Announces ...
- Madison Police Department Annual Hos...
- Madison Police Department Annual Shi...
- Madison Police Department Appreciate...
- Madison Police Department Armored Re...
- Madison Police Department Citizen Ac...
- Madison Police Department K9 Unit
- Madison Police Department Management...
- Madison Police Department Mounted Pa...
- Madison Police Department Open Recor...
- Madison Police Department Recognized...
- Madison Police Department Recruit Cl...
- Madison Police Department Supporting...
- Madison Police Department's Mental H...
- Madison Police Department's Pawn Pro...
- Madison Should Take Pride in its Police
- March - National Women's History Month
- March - National Women's History Month
- Marijuana Legalization: Chief Koval'...
- Mental Health Officer Team Marks One...
- Message to our Community from Chief ...
- Midtown Is Off the Grid?!?!
- Midtown Station - Status and Updates
- Moving Forward
- MPD and Local Agencies to Host Youth...
- MPD Announcing Two New Detective Uni...
- MPD CORE Team is Officially Launched
- MPD Launches Innovative New Website
- MPD Partners with Community Agencies...
- MPD Proud to Receive U.S. Department...
- MPD Shout Out to YWCA's Racial Justi...
- MPD's 2014 Pre-Service Academy
- MPD's Best Strategy in Fostering Trust
- MPD's Efforts to Reduce and Eliminat...
- MPD's Explorer Program
- MPD's K9 Unit
- MPD's Latino and Black Youth Academies
- MPD's Mounted Patrol
- MPD's New Hiring Resource Group
- MPD's Pilot Program - Unpaid Ticket ...
- MPD's Recruits Hit the Streets in Fi...
- MPD's Response to President Obama's ...
- MPD's Staffing Needs at 250,000 and ...
- MPDs Use of New Domestic Violence Re...
- MPD's Youth and Black Youth Academies
- National Cyber Security Month
- National Night Out - Madison Police ...
- National Night Out - Tuesday, August...
- Neighborhood Resource Officers Hit T...
- Next Week: Our Very Own National Nig...
- Observations from Chief Koval - Reco...
- On My Wish List? No More Mifflin!
- One Family's Personal Journey Dealin...
- Our Thanks to the Madison Community ...
- Overview of the 2014 Spring Student ...
- Overview of the Multi-Dimensional Co...
- Police Grants Save Taxypayer Money
- Police Rifles: Why We Carry What We Do
- Policing the MPD Way - Police Like a...
- Process, Explanation and Response to...
- Questions Directed to the Chief
- Recognizing National Police Week
- Remembering Trooper Trevor Casper an...
- Response to an Open Letter
- Safe Communities Madison-Dane County
- Safety Tips and Winter Driving Tips
- Saving Lives
- Shake the Lake - June 25
- Shop with a Cop 2013
- Staying True to One's Values
- Thank you Chief Wray
- The "Madison Method"
- The Challenges of Unconscious Bias
- The Impact and Success of the Specia...
- The Police are the Public and the Pu...
- Tragedy in Orlando
- Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Co...
- Use of Force Reviews for East Towne ...
- Violent Crimes Unit and Burglary Cri...
- Why does it take so long to get a Po...
- Words Matter. Words Have Power.
- Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin