Tag: Community Partnerships
January 12, 2015 11:33 AM
On January 9, 2015, the group known as the Young, Gifted, and Black Coalition sent an "Open Letter to Police Chief Koval" and recipients including Mayor Paul Soglin and City of Madison Alders. While there were many concerns and "demands" that were directed to me, one paragraph stood out … [read more]
December 16, 2014 1:02 PM
As our nation struggles with looking to improve measures taken to provide for greater transparency, accountability, and sensitivity of our police toward the citizens we are sworn to protect and serve, I have been asked what steps are being taken by MPD. While there is no one-size-fits-all … [read more]
December 10, 2014 2:11 PM
For the last 14 years, officers from the Madison Police Department have been volunteering their time to shop with economically disadvantaged children from our community. The “Shop with a Cop” program started in 2000 and has grown over the years to include the following agencies who work … [read more]
October 28, 2014 8:18 AM
The Madison Police Department's Citizen Police Academy is a program that is designed to give the public a working knowledge and understanding of the values, goals, and operations of the City of Madison Police Department. The objective of the Academy is to improve the lines of communication and … [read more]
September 9, 2014 10:14 AM
The Madison Police Department has a longstanding commitment to partnering with mental health providers, advocates, and consumers in an effort to improve services to those with mental illness. The Department’s nationally recognized Mental Health Liaison Program uses well-trained patrol … [read more]
August 12, 2014 2:17 PM
The Spring Student Party (formally known as the Mifflin Street Block Party) has traditionally been held on the first Saturday in May. The party began in the late 1960’s as a street protest, where students took to street dancing in an effort to bring attention of their disdain for the Vietnam … [read more]
August 6, 2014 12:43 PM
Once again this year, several officers from MPD, other law enforcement agencies, community-based organizations and volunteers will be joining together to host a number of “youth academies” over the next three weeks. All of these youth academies seek to: • Build a relationship of trust … [read more]
July 21, 2014 1:00 PM
An incredibly informative conference and expo is scheduled to take place in Madison in September that our Department wants you to know about! The 2014 Dane County/Wisconsin State Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Conference and Expo is taking place on Friday, September 19, 2014 from 8am-4pm … [read more]
July 15, 2014 12:53 PM
The Madison Police Department is a proud sponsor of CampHERO, an experience for girls in grades K-12. CampHERO, currently in its third year, was created by Girl Scouts of Wisconsin-Badgerland Council in partnership with local police, fire and EMS agencies. CampHERO teaches girls about the … [read more]
July 8, 2014 11:45 AM
The City of Madison Police Department has more than 500 employees, and serves a population of about 243,000. Yet as recently as 2004, the department had virtually no K9 capabilities. While one K9 officer was assigned to the countywide drug unit, the Madison Police Department had no K9s … [read more]
July 3, 2014 11:55 AM
After hosting Rhythm and Booms at Warner Park for the past 21 years, the annual event moved downtown this year. This past Saturday evening marked the first fireworks display viewed from the shores of John Nolen Drive. Madison Police have been working with event organizers and other City and … [read more]
June 20, 2014 3:41 PM
The Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics has been a yearly event in Wisconsin since 1986. The Torch Run in Wisconsin is the largest grass-roots fundraiser and public awareness for Special Olympics. This event is held in all 50 States, 12 Canadian provinces and 48 countries. It … [read more]
June 13, 2014 3:04 PM
On June 4th, a longstanding community partner, Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin (Youth Services/YSOSW), hosted an open house showcasing their newly built facility at 2720 Rimrock Rd. As part of the event, there was a presentation during which Attic Angels donated $125,000 in support of … [read more]
April 14, 2014 3:53 PM
Each and every Madison Police Department officer is trained to respond to and to handle calls that involve persons with a mental illness by use of compassion, appropriate communication/de-escalation and stabilization skills and to work collaboratively toward an effective resolution. We have a … [read more]
April 7, 2014 9:57 AM
In our city there are serious injuries and deaths that occur far too often that we believe can be reduced with a coordinated community-wide effort of agencies working together. One of these agencies helping to pave ways towards this mission is Safe Communities. Safe Communities of … [read more]
March 26, 2014 1:16 PM
There is a new effort and partnership between the Madison Police Department and the residents of the Parkside Apartment complex, located at the corner of W. Washington Avenue and S. Park Street. The area consists of a mix of public and private housing complexes commonly known as the … [read more]
January 24, 2014 11:33 AM
The Madison Police Department recognizes racial disparities within the criminal justice system and is committed to helping mitigate the issues that impact this problem. One of our core values is that we value diversity. We value diversity in our community and also as to the make-up of our … [read more]
January 6, 2014 2:46 PM
19 well-deserved children, 23 Madison Police Department staff members, community agencies and members working together…..this all led to another successful Shop with a Cop event in 2013! The Shop with a Cop event was created in order to reach out to those less fortunate around the … [read more]
November 18, 2013 4:16 PM
Throughout the year the Madison Police Department participates in numerous events not only to bring awareness to important issues but to raise money for them as well. One of these events was our Annual Charity Golf Outing. The Madison Professional Police Officers Association (MPPOA) and … [read more]
November 11, 2013 3:39 PM
All too often there is someone in our community who is involved in a domestic violence relationship that they don’t know how to cope with, how to get out of, how to be safe, or how to ask for help. In January 2011, the Madison Police Department and Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS) … [read more]
November 6, 2013 11:37 AM
When you watch the news or read the news it is almost a certainty that you will learn about negative issues, concerns or problems in a community. It is a reality that these issues exist. I like to bring attention however to positive events in our community that you may or may not be aware … [read more]
October 23, 2013 2:45 PM
In 2004 several Madison Police officers working in the South District started a program now known as Amigos en Azul. The goal of this program was to dissolve cultural barriers, build relationships and to develop positive communication lines with the Latino Community in Dane … [read more]
July 5, 2013 11:43 AM
Each day, the men and women of the Madison Police Department can be seen responding to traffic crashes, assisting citizens, processing records, and performing other important tasks. Through my 29 years with the Madison Police Department, I continue to take pride in the commitment of the … [read more]
April 24, 2013 11:53 AM
There is some good news to report as we take a look at Madison's crime numbers from this past year, 2012. The big picture is our crime numbers dropped 3.4 percent when compared to 2011. We saw significant decreases in several key crime categories: assault, homicide, motor … [read more]
Subscribe to Email List
Posts By Month
Posts By Category
- Community Partnerships
- Crime Statistics
- 2014 Rhythm and Booms
- A Message from Chief Koval about the...
- Activities of Off-Duty Officers
- Apply to be a Madison Police Officer...
- Assistant Chief Gaber's Visit to the...
- Chief Koval's Community Forums
- Chief Koval's Mailbag on a variety o...
- Chief Koval's Reflections - Protests...
- Community Forums with Chief Koval
- Final Blog from Randy Gaber as Inter...
- Freakfest 2014
- Gangs in Madison and Why Kids Join G...
- Happy New Year!
- Heroin Epidemic
- Hispanic Heritage Month September 15...
- Holiday Safety Tips
- Immigration Reform is about Communit...
- It's the Small Things that Matter
- Law Enforcement Torch Run for Specia...
- Madison Police Continue to "Give Back"
- Madison Police Department and CampHERO
- Madison Police Department Announces ...
- Madison Police Department Annual Hos...
- Madison Police Department Annual Shi...
- Madison Police Department Appreciate...
- Madison Police Department Armored Re...
- Madison Police Department Citizen Ac...
- Madison Police Department K9 Unit
- Madison Police Department Management...
- Madison Police Department Mounted Pa...
- Madison Police Department Open Recor...
- Madison Police Department Recognized...
- Madison Police Department Recruit Cl...
- Madison Police Department Supporting...
- Madison Police Department's Mental H...
- Madison Police Department's Pawn Pro...
- Madison Should Take Pride in its Police
- March - National Women's History Month
- March - National Women's History Month
- Marijuana Legalization: Chief Koval'...
- Message to our Community from Chief ...
- Midtown Station - Status and Updates
- MPD and Local Agencies to Host Youth...
- MPD Announcing Two New Detective Uni...
- MPD Launches Innovative New Website
- MPD Shout Out to YWCA's Racial Justi...
- MPD's 2014 Pre-Service Academy
- MPD's Best Strategy in Fostering Trust
- MPD's Efforts to Reduce and Eliminat...
- MPDs Use of New Domestic Violence Re...
- National Cyber Security Month
- National Night Out - Madison Police ...
- Overview of the 2014 Spring Student ...
- Overview of the Multi-Dimensional Co...
- Police Grants Save Taxypayer Money
- Police Rifles: Why We Carry What We Do
- Remembering Trooper Trevor Casper an...
- Response to an Open Letter
- Safe Communities Madison-Dane County
- Safety Tips and Winter Driving Tips
- Saving Lives
- Shop with a Cop 2013
- Thank you Chief Wray
- The "Madison Method"
- The Impact and Success of the Specia...
- Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Co...
- Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin