The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 07/20/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 07/21/2018, MPD received 553 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 553 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (136), East (111), Midtown (56), North (84), South (50), West (59), and Other (57). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) SOUTH: Sexual Assault – 11:00 a.m. An MPD officer spoke with an unknown 18-year-old female over the phone regarding a sexual assault. The subject was not ready to reveal details of the incident and advised she would respond to a hospital later in the evening for a forensic nurse examination (FNE). Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 11:03 a.m. A delivery driver was making a stop in the 400 block of East Washington Avenue and left his vehicle running. A 45-year-old WM suspect got into the vehicle and drove off. The vehicle, which was equipped with GPS, was later observed at Brooks/University Avenue and was stopped. The suspect was taken into custody without incident. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 12:02 p.m. An MPD officer was on routine patrol near Bassett Street at West Washington Avenue when he was flagged down by a 52-year-old AAF. The subject believed she had warrants out for her arrest. Upon running the individual, it was learned the suspect had a probation and parole warrant and a misdemeanor theft warrant. The suspect was arrested and transported to jail without incident.
4) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 12:21 p.m. An officer was dispatched to contact a 22-year-old WF who reported that while dancing at Plan B on two different occasions earlier this year, she was groped while on the dance floor. There is limited suspect information. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Check Area – 1:22 p.m. A parent called in to report that their adult son was sitting in a parked car and seemingly incoherent. MFD and MPD responded to the area to provide assistance. Despite good faith attempts to locate the subject and the vehicle, units were unable to find anyone. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Missing Adult – 3:17 p.m. Officers were dispatched to contact a care center reference a 62-year-old AAM who went missing from East Towne Mall on the night of 7/19/18. The subject was already entered as missing through an outside agency. MPD officers checked several addresses for the missing adult and contacted the outside agency to recommend a Silver Alert, which was entered.
*Additional Information: The subject was subsequently located at a local hotel. The outside agency was advised and canceled their Silver Alert notice.
7) CENTRAL: Robbery Armed – 6:35 p.m. Officers were dispatched to an armed robbery that occurred at an apartment building in the 600 block of University Avenue. Two WM's, ages 22 and 23, were robbed by multiple unknown males after coming to this location to meet a specific person. One of the unknown suspects was armed with a bat. The two victims in the robbery were injured after being hit with the bat but did not seek medical attention. Cash, phones and a backpack were taken in this robbery. The investigation is ongoing and if anyone has any information regarding this incident please contact the Madison Police Department or Madison Area Crime Stoppers.
8) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense – 7:46 p.m. Officers were dispatched to shots fired at Seminole and Mohawk. Witnesses reported two vehicles exchanging gunfire on the roadway but no other description. Nine casings were located, from two different guns. There was no damage or victims reported at this time. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 1:54 a.m. Officers were dispatched to a north side residence for a 37-year-old WF who overdosed and was believed to be unresponsive. Naloxone was administered and the subject was transported to a local hospital by MFD. It is believed the female snorted heroin. Investigation continuing.