The 2018 Shake the Lake event was very well attended and there were no significant incidents; the fireworks went off as planned. MPD Patrol, SET, Mounted, and other units worked to ensure a safe day for all. MPD worked with MFD, DCSO, and the Madison Mallards on this very successful event.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 06/23/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 06/24/2018, MPD received 448 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 448 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (102), East (89), Midtown (69), North (58), South (50), West (55), and Other (25). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 9:55 a.m. MPD officers responded to Kwik Trip at 1625 N Stoughton Rd when employees recognized that a suspect in a recent theft from the store had returned. The suspect, a 29-year-old AAM, fled in a vehicle when the first officer on scene attempted to contact him. The suspect and vehicle he had been operating were located nearby. The suspect resisted an officer's attempt to detain him, pulled away, fled on foot, but was ultimately taken into custody moments later. He was charged with two counts of resisting, theft (reference the previous incident), operating a motor vehicle without owner's consent (the vehicle he was driving was listed as stolen), and was cited for red signal violation and operating without a driver's license. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person/Trespass – 4:22 p.m. MPD officers responded to Tutto Pasta (305 State St) for a male harassing guests and staff. Officers arrived and contacted an intoxicated 58-year-old AAM. Officers arrested the suspect for trespass (municipal) and conveyed him to jail on that citation as well as a probation hold. At the jail, the suspect blew a 0.269 on the PBT (Preliminary Breath Tester).
3) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person/Domestic Disturbance – 5:01 p.m. MPD officers responded to Lake Point Dr reference a domestic disturbance. Officers have responded to several calls for service at this residence in recent times and this day's disturbance included a threat from the suspect (44-year-old AAM) to burn his mother (67-year-old AAF) and his sister (36-year-old AAF) while also calling them unflattering names. Officers arrested the suspect for domestic disorderly conduct and conveyed him to jail.
4) WEST: Robbery-Strong Arm – 6:25 p.m. MPD officers responded to a report of a strong arm robbery that occurred near the intersection of Raymond Rd and Cameron Dr. The victim (15-year-old AAM) reported the incident at the West Police District Station earlier in the day and told officers that the suspect (15-year-old AAM) and two unidentified accomplices had pushed him to the ground, hit him twice, and took his phone and cash. The victim recognized the suspect as someone with whom he attended school and played basketball. Officers located the suspect later in the evening, arrested him for strong arm robbery, and conveyed him to the Juvenile Reception Center. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Conveyance-Mental Health – 7:23 p.m. MPD officers responded to Buckingham Ln, reference a report of a wife who found her husband attempting to commit suicide. Officers arrived and contacted a 36-year-old WM and his wife. The subject and his wife are going through a break up. Officers conveyed the subject to a local hospital for a mental health evaluation.
6) SOUTH: Substantial Battery – 11:43 p.m. A Madison officer was investigating an incident that took place somewhere in the 1800 block of S Park St. Contact was made with the victim (36-year-old AAM) who stated he was simply walking in the S Park St area when he was jumped by a suspect. The victim sustained a cut beneath his nose which required stitches to be closed. He believed a box cutter may have been used as one was located on his shirt but he had no recollection of the assault nor could he provide any suspect description. According to the victim's girlfriend, the victim and a 32-year-old AAM had been arguing earlier in the evening and she suspected this individual as being the offender in this incident. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Disturbance-Unwanted Person – 12:41 a.m. Officers were called to the Nomad World Pub (418 E Wilson St) for a disturbance involving an intoxicated patron. A 22-year-old WM had been at the bar celebrating his birthday when his level of intoxication and poor behavior got him kicked out. While being escorted out of the bar, the suspect did his best to fight with everyone that he came across. When officers arrived, the suspect was outside and was being restrained by bar staff as well as other patrons. He was arrested for disorderly conduct, cited for trespassing, and was taken to jail.
8) EAST: Information – 5:07 a.m. This call was originally reported at the Kwik Trip in Marshall where the victim (47-year-old HF) stopped to report a potential abduction that took place at North of the Bayou (802 Atlas Ave). Marshall PD began the investigation and with assistance from Language Line, determined portions of this incident took place in Madison. Investigation continuing.