The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 05/25/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 05/26/2018, MPD received 600 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 600 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (96), East (134), Midtown (87), North (94), South (71), West (79), and Other (39). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 8:26 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Oakridge Ave reference a domestic disturbance. The disturbance was between a 32-year-old WM suspect and a 29-year-old UF victim. Investigation revealed that there was probable cause to arrest the suspect on domestic-related charges of 2nd degree reckless endangerment, strangulation, battery, and disorderly conduct. The suspect fled the area prior to MPD arrival. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Recovered Vehicle/Stolen Outside Agency – 9:04 a.m. Officers were in an East side residential area, working on an incident in another case, when they recovered a stolen vehicle. Originating agency notified. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Armed Robbery – 11:23 a.m. MPD was dispatched to Selective Video (3220 Commercial Ave) reference an armed robbery. A masked AAM suspect, wearing all black, approximately 6'0" with a heavy build, entered the business and demanded money. After an employee complied with his demands, the suspect fled on foot. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person - 12:08 p.m. Central District Neighborhood Officer observed a 46-year-old AAM subject known to be wanted. Officers arrested the subject without incident in the 100 block of State St. During the search incident to the suspect's arrest, drug paraphernalia was located on the suspect's person. This suspect was then transported to jail on charges of a parole violation hold and possession of drug paraphernalia. Investigation continuing.
5) MIDTOWN: Information/Child Abuse – 1:57 p.m. MPD investigated a report of child abuse that had occurred on Craig Ave. The victim (9-year-old WM) sustained a visible injury consistent with a BB gun pellet impression. The suspect (34-year-old WF)/mother to the victim was arrested for physical abuse of a child and taken to jail. Dane County Human Services was plugged in and is handling placement and safety plans.
6) EAST: Information/Child Abuse – 2:05 p.m. MPD was requested by Dane County Human Services to meet at an East side residential address for allegations of abuse to a 13-year-old AAF child who was absent from school. Officers contacted the victim/child who had obvious injuries to her face. The victim indicated that the injuries were caused by her mother, a 37-year-old AAF. The suspect was arrested for physical abuse of a child and taken to jail. DCHS was on scene taking a lead on placement and safety plans.
7) MIDTOWN: Overdose – 4:15 p.m. MPD and MFD responded to the Mobil gas station (699 S Whitney Way), for a report of a man down in the bathroom. MFD arrived and found the suspect (38-year-old WM) conscious. Telltale signs of cocaine, heroin, and other drug paraphernalia were located in the bathroom and the suspect admitted to injecting heroin. The suspect was transported to a local hospital for a medical clearance prior to being taken to jail for charges of possession of heroin, possession of cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia, bail jumping, and a parole violation.
8) EAST: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 4:38 p.m. MPD responded to multiple reports of shots fired in the area of Worthington Park, with vehicles seen fleeing the area at high rates of speed. No victims or damaged property were located at this time. Shell casings were located on scene. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Stolen Auto – 4:53 p.m. MPD was dispatched to a report of a stolen auto. The victim reported that their car was stolen from a parking lot on Cottage Grove Rd, sometime between 10 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. No suspect information. The vehicle was listed as stolen in NCIC and an ATL (Attempt to Locate) was aired on City/County channels.
10) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 7:20 p.m. While officers were handling a call on Craig Ave, a 23-year-old WF with whom West officers are familiar and who has a history of aggressive behavior, exited her residence and began to cause a disturbance. The suspect was subsequently arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
11) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 11:22 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a disturbance at Danbury St/W Beltline Hwy involving a husband (47-year-old AAM) and wife (25-year-old AAF). They got into an argument that turned physical. The wife/suspect was determined to be the primary aggressor, striking her husband/victim in the face with a closed fist. The suspect was arrested and taken to jail on charges of domestic battery and domestic disorderly conduct.
12) EAST: Disturbance – 12:37 a.m. Officers were dispatched to an address on Milwaukee St, reference a disturbance between a 53-year-old WM victim and his 44-year-old HF girlfriend/suspect. Officers determined that there was an argument about a former girlfriend, which escalated. The female suspect slapped the male, dumped beer on his car, and dumped out all of the victim's prescription pills. The suspect was eventually arrested and taken to jail on charges of battery and disorderly conduct.