Today's preamble to the daily snapshot of significant calls consists of an open invitation to our constituents to come out to MPD's National Night Out program this Thursday night! Our program is staged on the City's south side at Leopold Park (2906 Traceway Drive) and runs from 5:30pm to 8:00pm. Join us for a night of festivities which includes a community cookout, a display of various police and fire units and apparatus, kids activities, community booths, and speakers.
National Night Out was founded 36 years ago (1981) and is dedicated to the proposition of building up (and celebrating) police-community partnerships and neighborhood empowerment to make our cities safer and to promote enhanced quality of life standards for all. This year, we are also promoting the theme, "A Call for Peace," in the midst of so many "shot fired" incidents and homicides.
This is a true community celebration and we hope to see you there!
From 5:30 a.m. on 08/07/2017 through 5:30 a.m. on 08/08/2017, MPD received 459 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
1) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 12:41 a.m. Officers were dispatched to a male overdosing in a vehicle in a parking lot in the 1500 block of Troy Drive. A 16 year old WM and a 33 year old WM (suspect) from Dodgeville came to Madison together. The suspect purchased heroin near this area, returned to the car, injected heroin, passed out and then appeared to be in distress. The suspect was transported to a local hospital and issued an order-in for Possession of Heroin. During the investigation it was learned that the 16 year old was under the influence of morphine so he was also transported to a local hospital for observation. CPS and parent of the 16 year old notified.
2) SOUTH: Stolen Auto – 3:33 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 1800 block of S. Park Street reference a stolen auto. The complainant reports that the suspect (16-18 year old AAM) requested to test drive a vehicle but didn't have ID. The suspect was allowed to sit in the car while the keys were in it. He drove away and didn't return. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Assist EMS/Fire – 4:13 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 1200 block of Bultman Road for a person pinned under a vehicle. Officers responded and learned that the victim (40 year old WF) was trying to clean up some broken glass and asked a juvenile to put the parking brake on and turn the car off. The juvenile accidently put the car in gear and the car began rolling backwards. The victim attempted to stop the car and the car ended up rolling over her. She was extricated and taken to the hospital as a precaution. No initial signs of significant injuries.
4) EAST: Weapons Offense – 4:30 p.m. Officers were dispatched to three additional paintball gun incidents (previous incidents occurred in the past two days). Three people were struck with paintballs, two of which had minor injuries. Suspect vehicle description provided but no suspect information. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Sexual Assault of a Child – 5:31 p.m. Officers responded to the 2400 block of Monterey Drive reference two juveniles who have been having sex recently. One of the mother's heard what happened and called a family meeting with both families. One of the grandparents called very upset and wanted to report it to the police. Families have a safety plan in place and CPS was notified. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 8:26 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 3700 block of Merchant Street for a person shooting at the caller's boyfriend. Officers responded to the area where it appeared some folks had been camping. The caller was gone before officers arrived. Police were able to make contact with the alleged subject (25 year old WM). He said that he knows the caller but he doesn't know why she would have called. Criminal activity was unfounded at this time.
7) WEST: Drug Incident Overdose – 8:46 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 4300 block of Melody Drive where the caller advised that her 25 year old WF roommate had overdosed, was non-responsive and not breathing. The female was given naloxone on scene and regained consciousness. She was transported to a local hospital and cited.
8) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 9:47 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 5700 block of Raymond Road for a 24 year old WF who was unconscious and had no pulse. Officers arrived and found the female outside a vehicle, laying in the parking lot and unresponsive. Officers administered naloxone and fire administered additional doses when they arrived. The female regained consciousness and was transported to a local hospital. She was cited for possession of heroin.