The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 10/31/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 11/01/2018, MPD received 480 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 480 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (73), East (93), Midtown (79), North (86), South (40), West (74), and Other (35). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 5:18 a.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a subject (40-year-old WM) who had not returned home the previous night and had known mental health concerns. Phone ping conducted. Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. Investigation continuing. **The father of the subject contacted police in the evening to report that his son was home and safe.
2) CENTRAL: Stalking Complaint – 11:34 a.m. Officers met with a victim (32-year-old WF) who reported continued unwanted contact from a suspect (24-year-old WM). The suspect has been contacted and served with a stalking letter in the past but the behavior has continued per the victim. The suspect was not located on this date but probable cause was developed for his arrest. Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Death Investigation – 12:31 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence to check the welfare of a subject (33-year-old AF). Forced entry was made to the subject's home after no answer was received. The subject was located deceased, of an apparent suicide. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 4:28 p.m. Officers responded to Carlin Drive for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (18-year-old AAM victim and 18-year-old AAF suspect). The victim and suspect are roommates and got into a verbal argument which escalated. The suspect was arrested for domestic battery.
5) WEST: Disturbance – 5:55 p.m. Officers responded to E. Valley Ridge Drive where a subject (57-year-old WM) was reported as being intoxicated and blowing leaves onto his neighbor's lawn which was causing issues. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct.
6) NORTH: Crash/Hit & Run/False Report – 10:54 p.m. Officers responded to Troy Drive for a single-vehicle crash. Witnesses reported observing two occupants (WMs) exit the vehicle and walk away. The registered owner/suspect (25-year-old WM) contacted police later to report his vehicle as "stolen." The suspect was contacted and he eventually admitted to being the driver of the crashed vehicle. The suspect was cited for obstructing and a parking ticket. No property damage was reported.
7) WEST: Intoxicated Driver – 12:39 a.m. Officers conducted a traffic stop (for speeding) near Starr Grass/Dayflower Drive. The driver/suspect (44-year-old UM) was found to be under the influence. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (6th offense).
8) MIDTOWN: Hit & Run/Pedestrian – 1:05 a.m. Officers responded to the 4600 block of Verona Rd and met with a victim (31-year-old WM) who reported being hit by a vehicle as he was walking. The suspect vehicle did not stop. The victim did not sustain any injuries. Investigation continuing.