The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 11/17/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 11/18/2018, MPD received 391 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 391 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (82), East (70), Midtown (59), North (55), South (47), West (48), and Other (30). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 7:34 a.m. The victim (20-year-old WF) lives at a North side residential address and has a child in common with the suspect/ex-boyfriend (20-year-old HM). The suspect wished to confront the victim's current boyfriend and began banging on the victim's window at 7 a.m. The suspect entered the residence through an unlocked door and contacted the victim while her current boyfriend left the residence. Officers arrested the suspect for domestic disorderly conduct and conveyed him to jail.
2) CENTRAL: Check Person – 11:33 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Monona Terrace reference a 33-year-old WM who had been seen in a stairwell and was supposedly suicidal. Upon officer arrival, the subject had moved to the top of the parking ramp. He alternated between threatening to jump off the ledge and squaring off to fight with officers. Officers were eventually able to take the subject into protective custody without incident. The subject was conveyed to Detox where he again squared off with officers, who were able to dialogue him into a room without needing to use force. The subject blew a 0.477 on a PBT (preliminary breath tester).
3) WEST: Information – 11:47 a.m. Officers were dispatched to a far West side residential address to meet with a parent of an elementary-aged WF daughter. The parent asked for police assistance in working with Youtube in trying to get a bullying video taken down. The parent simply wanted the situation documented in case things escalated and to avoid further consequences. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Check Person – 12:13 p.m. A 70-year-old WF is under Chapter 51 orders and has not been cooperating with treatment. An attachment was put on her by Journey Mental Health. She was picked up at her North side residence and transported to a local hospital.
5) SOUTH: Death Investigation – 1:18 p.m. MPD was dispatched to Perry St reference a death investigation. The caller reported not seeing the subject for two days. Officers made entry with the assistance of property management and located a 66-year-old WM deceased in the bathroom. Medical Examiner on scene. Nothing suspicious noted at this time.
6) SOUTH: Robbery-Armed – 4:58 p.m. The Madison Police responded to the report of an armed robbery at the West Badger Liquor store (714 W Badger Rd). The suspect entered and demanded money from the clerk. The suspect brandished a black semi-automatic handgun. The suspect was given an undisclosed amount of US currency and fled the area. The clerk was not injured. The suspect was described as a WM, 5'5" to 5'6", with a thin build. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Child Abuse – 5:23 p.m. Officers were dispatched to E Main St reference a neighbor reporting that five children in the building came to her house and said they were in danger. Officers arrived to find the apartment vacant, but several beer cans lying around. Kids were contacted in a downstairs apartment. They reported a disturbance where a 33-year-old AAM suspect physically assaulted them. An 11-year-old AAF was transported for a complaint of neck pain. The suspect fled the scene prior to officer arrival. CPS notified. Children were placed with a friend of the family. Probable cause exists to arrest the suspect for domestic disorderly conduct, physical abuse of a child, and battery. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Robbery-Strong Armed – 5:37 p.m. The victim (29-year-old HM) called the Madison Police after a suspect grabbed him while he was walking and took his personal property, including an undisclosed amount of US currency. The suspect was last seen headed southbound in the 700 block of N Midvale Blvd on foot. Some of the victim's property was recovered nearby. The victim was not injured. The suspect was described as an AAM, wearing all black clothing. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Death Investigation – Officers were dispatched to an East side residential neighborhood reference a death investigation. The deceased (83-year-old WM) was in failing health and his collapse was witnessed by two neighbors who looked after him. Nothing suspicious was noted. Medical Examiner on scene.
10) WEST: Information/Carjacking – 9:49 p.m. MPD officers met with a 28-year-old AAM victim who provided a lengthy account of being robbed at gunpoint by two AAM suspects on the West side. Several issues have yet to be corroborated. Investigation continuing.
11) MIDTOWN: Crash with Injuries/Property Damage – 11:35 p.m. A Fitchburg officer spotted a Subaru Forrester that was listed as stolen through MPD. The vehicle took off when a stop was initiated. The vehicle ended up crashing into an unoccupied house near Allied Dr, located within the City of Madison. The house sustained heavy damage and the vehicle was totaled. All three occupants were transported to the hospital. The suspect driver was a 16-year-old AAM, whose injuries were unknown at the time of this entry. A 14-year-old AAF passenger sustained a broken arm. A 14-year-old AAM passenger had a fractured/dislocated hip and will be admitted for surgery. Fitchburg PD took the vehicle for evidence in their investigation and MPD took the crash investigation. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Check Person – 1:24 a.m. MPD was dispatched to Langdon St reference an intoxicated 23-year-old WM with lacerations to his head and fingers. MFD/EMS initially responded and requested MPD when the subject told paramedics that he did not know how the injuries occurred. The subject was transported to a local hospital by EMS. The investigation led officers to the 500 block of State St which yielded no signs of a disturbance. When officers contacted the subject at the hospital, he provided multiple accounts of how he was injured, in several different stories, however the stories could not be substantiated. He was placed into protective custody due to a 0.317 BAC. The subject will need surgery to address the laceration to his finger. Investigation continuing.
13) SOUTH: Information/Check Person – 2:08 a.m. Officers are called to a motel on W Beltline Hwy due to a dispute between a 36-year-old WF and a cab driver. Upon further investigation, there were indications that the female in this incident may be a victim of human trafficking. Officers contacted Dane County Crime Response Unit who assisted us in this matter. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 2:19 a.m. Officers responded to W Gorham St reference a 19-year-old HM who was intoxicated and hit his head in a fall. The subject was placed into protective custody and taken to a local hospital. Once there, an ER nurse/victim (56-year-old WM) was checking the subject's wristband to administer some medication when the subject spit on him, aiming for the nurse's face. Once medically cleared, the suspect was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
15) MIDTOWN: Missing Juvenile/Runaway – 3:57 a.m. A 17-year-old WM took his parent's car at around 10 p.m. on 11/17/18. The juvenile's phone was off and his whereabouts were unknown. A friend's house was checked and he was not located. An ATL was aired and the juvenile was entered into NCIC.