The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 10/25/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 10/26/2018, MPD received 462 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 462 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (95), East (74), Midtown (80), North (74), South (43), West (53), and Other (43). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) NORTH: Crash/Property Damage – 8:46 a.m. Officers responded to the 1900 block of N. Sherman Ave for a motor vehicle vs. house crash. MFD/MG&E responded due to a broken/burst gas line. The driver/suspect (20-year-old WF) said she was attempting to make a u-turn when the crash occurred. Witnesses reported observing the driver/vehicle driving recklessly before the crash occurred. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Check Welfare/Missing Adult – 9:26 a.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a missing adult (31-year-old WM). Attempt to locate aired. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Traffic Incident – 10:09 a.m. An officer conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle that was clocked at going 102 mph on the Beltline. The driver/suspect (21-year-old AAM) was found to have a full extradition warrant for his arrest out of Nevada. The suspect was taken into custody and conveyed to the Dane County Jail. Incident Report on MPD's website completed.
4) NORTH: Crash with Injuries – 12:12 p.m. Officers responded to Kinsman Blvd/N. Stoughton Rd for a report of a two-vehicle crash. Investigation revealed that a driver ran a red light and t-boned the second vehicle. No serious injuries reported. Charges/citations forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
5) MIDTOWN: Check Property – 12:30 p.m. Officers responded to a residential area for a suspicious package. No concerns were identified. No further action by the police deemed necessary.
6) EAST: Death Investigation – 12:46 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (47-year-old WF). Drug evidence on scene. The decedent had a history of heroin use. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Drug Incident/Overdose – 1:42 p.m. Officers responded to a convenience store on Lien Rd reference a subject/suspect (35-year-old NAM) experiencing an overdose. MFD administered Naloxone to the subject. The suspect was cited for possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia and referred to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative (MARI). Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Civil Dispute – 2:09 p.m. Officers received a report reference a 16-year-old WF who is staying in Madison with an acquaintance due to an initial approval from her parents. The parents of the juvenile would like the 16-year-old to come home but she is refusing. MPD is plugged in, along with a MPD Mental Health Officer. A plan is in place for today (Friday) for all parties to come together to talk about the juvenile going home with her parents. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Stolen Auto – 2:48 p.m. Officers received a report of a stolen auto from the East Towne Mall. Inside of the vehicle was a gun with a loaded magazine. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle/gun were listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Missing Adult – 4:56 p.m. Officers received a report of a missing adult (20-year-old AAM). Attempt to locate aired. The subject was listed as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 5:00 p.m. Officers responded to the area of State St/Langdon St for a subject/suspect (22-year-old AAM) running around and spraying individuals with a fire extinguisher. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct (2 counts), bail jumping and a pending warrant.
12) NORTH: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 6:46 p.m. Officers received a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (15-year-old WF). No safety concerns identified. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was entered as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
13) EAST: Stolen Auto – 10:18 p.m. Officers received a report of a stolen auto from the east side. The registered owner later called police to report observing the vehicle. Multiple jurisdictions responded to assist. The vehicle came to a stop on Leon Lane and the occupants fled. K9 search conducted. One occupant/suspect (16-year-old AAM) was located and admitted to being in the vehicle but would not identify anyone else with him. The suspect was taken to the Juvenile Reception Center and charged with operating a motor vehicle without consent/party to a crime, as well as a curfew violation. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 12:14 a.m. Officers responded to the 500 block of State St for a fight in progress between two subjects (28-year-old AAM and 18-year-old AAM). Both subjects were contacted and they were not cooperative with officers. The 28-year-old suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct. The 18-year-old suspect was cited for disorderly conduct. The 18-year-old was also found to have an older wound that was determined to be from a gunshot. He did not wish to provide details on what occurred to officers. Investigation continuing.
15) CENTRAL: Battery – 3:00 a.m. Officers responded to State St/Henry St for a battery. The victim (36-year-old WF) reported observing a suspect (AAM) going through a vehicle that she knew belonged to an acquaintance. The victim went to speak with the owner of the vehicle, which the suspect observed. The suspect "got into the face" of the victim and punched her in the head. The suspect threw bottles at the victim and punched her again. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. Investigation continuing.
16) SOUTH: Check Person – 5:07 a.m. Officers responded to a south side residence reference a subject (57-year-old AAM) who had stabbed himself multiple times. The scene was stabilized. Investigation continuing.