From 5:30 a.m. on 02/16/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 02/17/2018, MPD received 505 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown.
1) CENTRAL: Assist Town of Madison Police – 10:57 a.m. MPD was asked to assist the Town of Madison PD (TMPD) with a disturbance occurring in their jurisdiction (2000 block of Fordem Avenue). The call implied that there was a subject with a gun. Given our closer proximity, MPD officers arrived first and were able to contain/control the situation until TMPD arrived. The investigation was turned over to TMPD.
2) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 1:07 p.m. An MPD officer responded to a local hospital to take a 27 year old WF victim's report that she was battered and strangled by a 31 year old AAM suspect. Victim is currently pregnant. Probable cause was developed. Attempts to locate the suspect are ongoing. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 2:09 p.m. MPD officers responded to Sunfish Court for report of a restraining order violation and domestic disturbance involving a 34 year old AAM suspect and 27 year old AAF victim. The parties have co-restraining orders against each other and offered conflicting accounts of events that led to police contact. Probable cause was established to arrest the suspect for domestic disorderly conduct, domestic battery, and violation of a restraining order. The victim expressed her desire to have the 72 hour no contact provision be put into effect. Officers conveyed the suspect to the Dane County Jail.
4) EAST: Information – 2:25 p.m. Madison Metropolitan School District personnel advised MPD that a 15 year old WM student and his parents wished to have police speak with their student/child reference social media posts. An MPD detective responded and obliged. No further action.
5) NORTH: Threats Complaint – 2:38 p.m. MPD officers responded to the 5700 block of Manufacturers Drive for a report of a threats complaint related to a recently terminated employee. Contact was made with the terminated employee as well as the employee's father. Both denied any allegations of using firearms in a rhetorical manner to induce or cause any threats. No further action at this time.
6) EAST: Sexual Assault of a Child – 3:18 p.m. Child Protective Services referred a sexual assault of a child (17 year old WF) to MPD reference an incident that occurred in mid-January. The victim reported having nonconsensual sex with four teenaged boys after drinking and doing drugs. The victim also reported that photos may have been taken by one of the suspects. School authorities are in the loop, as is Rape Crisis. Investigation continuing.
7) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 3:32 p.m. MPD officers responded to a report of an unwanted person panhandling in the 7-Eleven at 2703 W. Beltline Hwy. Officers arrived, located the 48 year old AAM suspect, and learned that in addition to charges for today's activities he also had five outstanding warrants for his arrest. When the suspect was placed in handcuffs, he experienced a medical event that required transport via ambulance to a local hospital. The suspect will be admitted to the hospital for continued observation. Officers are not guarding the suspect. MPD requested that the hospital notify us prior to the suspect's discharge.
8) CITY-WIDE: Conveyance Mental Health/Mutual Aid Assistance – 3:59 p.m. Town of Madison PD (TMPD) called the OIC's office to request MPD's assistance with a commitment order of a patient (a 36 year old WM who lives in the city of Madison) who was acting out at an outpatient facility located in the town. Per court order, this individual needed to be conveyed back to Winnebago Mental Health Institute (WMHI). Given the fact that TMPD personnel resources are severely stretched given the recent Pitcher's Pub homicide investigation, MPD officers responded to the Fordem Avenue treatment facility and conveyed the subject to a local hospital for a medical clearance and subsequent transport to WMHI.
9) NORTH: Check Property – 4:42 p.m. MPD responded to Vera Court to a report of students having information of the possibility of an imminent situation occurring at an east side high school. MPD spoke with the complainant/witness and learned that the threat was a reiteration of an earlier posted Snapchat message documented a day earlier. There was no substantiated information which would indicate any imminent threat.
10) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 7:38 p.m. MPD officers responded to a domestic disturbance on the near west side occurring between a mother and son. The son, a 25 year old AM, was upset with his 49 year old AF mother because she would not give him money. The son/suspect threw food around the room and threatened his mother. Subsequently officers developed probable cause and ultimately took the suspect into custody for domestic disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
11) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 11:39 p.m. A 25 year old WM suspect and 29 year old WF victim were on their way home from an area bar. Suspect did not like how the victim was driving and an argument ensued. Upon arrival at home, suspect batters the victim and grabs the phone from her hand, smashing it on the ground, preventing the victim from calling the police. The suspect was arrested for domestic battery, criminal damage to property, and domestic intimidation of a victim (felony).
12) SOUTH: Check Person – 11:48 p.m. MPD was dispatched to an address on the south side regarding a check welfare of a child and custody dispute. Parents are not cooperating with one another in terms of who is allowed to have access to their common child. Investigation ultimately reflected that the child does not appear to be in any imminent danger but there was a lack of cooperation from all parties in establishing that firsthand. Thus, an attempt to locate was aired and a notification was made to another county making them aware of the situation as that is where one of the two family members reside. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Robbery Armed – 11:55 p.m. Madison Police Department responded to the 1500 block of Troy Drive for a reported armed robbery. The 34 year old AM victim, who is a food delivery driver, was walking an order into an address when approached by three AAM suspects 15 to 16 years of age. The suspects confirmed the food order and then two of the three suspects pulled handguns. One suspect took cash from the pockets of the driver and all suspects subsequently fled. Area residents and business were canvassed with no results. Investigation continuing.
14) NORTH: Sexual Assault of a Child – 1:56 a.m. Officers were dispatched to a residential area on the north side to take a report of sexual assault of a child, by a child. The two children live separately and do not have daily contact. The inappropriate touching occurred some months ago. Child Protective Services will be notified and investigation is continuing.