The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/06/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/07/2018, MPD received 583 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 583 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (122), East (132), Midtown (85), North (87), South (61), West (72), and Other (24). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority only calls from 12:33pm-6pm due to calls for service.
1) EAST: Stolen Auto – 5:12 a.m. Officers responded to Forge Court for a report of a stolen auto. An Officer checked the area and located the stolen vehicle occupied by two subjects, who fled on foot when they saw the officer. The officer apprehended one of the suspect's (22-year-old WM). The suspect was arrested for resisting. Additional charges may be forthcoming. A second suspect is at-large. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Death Investigation – 5:48 a.m. Officers responded to a residence for a deceased subject (70-year-old WM). Medical Examiner's office notified. Evidence suggests the death was self-inflicted. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Mutual Aid/Assist DCSO – 7:45 a.m. Officers responded to assist the Dane County Sheriff's Office with an eviction process on N. Bassett St. The resident/suspect (51-year-old WM) was arrested on an outstanding warrant.
4) WEST: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 10:18 a.m. Officers responded to the 1100 block of Morraine View Dr for a shooting. Preliminary information indicates that one person/victim (19-year-old AAM) suffered an apparent non-life threatening injury. The victim was conveyed to a local hospital. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Residential Burglary – 11:55 a.m. Officers met with a victim (32-year-old WF) who reported a known suspect (38-year-old WM) entered her residence during the night without her permission and stole her debit card. The victim said the suspect fled, used her debit card and came back to her residence to return the debit card. The suspect was located and arrested for burglary, unlawful use of identifying information and a parole hold.
6) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 2:19 p.m. Officers responded to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (15-year-old WF). The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. The subject was voluntarily admitted and left in the care of medical staff/her parents.
7) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 2:35 p.m. Officers responded to a disturbance in the 100 block of State St between two subjects (60-year-old AAM victim and 63-year-old AAM suspect). It was reported that the suspect pulled a knife on the victim during a verbal argument. The victim was not cooperative with officers. The suspect was contacted, arrested and charged with disorderly conduct while armed and felon CCW (concealed carry weapon).
8) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 3:25 p.m. Officers responded to a residence for a report of a 12-year-old (HM) armed with a knife and threatening his mother. The juvenile was conveyed to a local hospital where he was voluntarily admitted. The juvenile was left in the care of medical staff/his parents.
9) EAST: Missing Adult – 10:05 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a missing adult (59-year-old WF) who has significant mental health/medical concerns. Attempt to locate aired. The subject was listed as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Sexual Assault of a Child – 11:28 p.m. Officers met with a victim (12-year-old AAF) and her parents for a report of a sexual assault. A potential suspect was identified (20-year-old AAM). Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Weapons Offense – 11:30 p.m. Officers responded to the 500 block of Cottage Grove Rd for a disturbance. The suspect (35-year-old WM) displayed a gun during an argument with the victim (42-year-old WM). The suspect fled the area. Once located, the suspect will be charged with disorderly conduct while armed and a municipal trespass citation. Investigation continuing.
12) EAST: Crash – 12:46 a.m. Officers responded to Milwaukee St/Swanton Rd for a motor vehicle v. pedestrian crash. The suspect driver (32-year-old AM) was leaving a parking lot when he struck a pedestrian/victim (48-year-old WM) in the crosswalk. The victim was transported to a local hospital with serious injuries. The suspect was given field sobriety testing and subsequently arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated/causing great bodily harm. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
13) MIDTOWN: Crash – 1:32 a.m. Officers responded to the Beltline/Whitney Way for a report of a one-vehicle crash. The passenger (26-year-old AAM) of the vehicle was transported to a local hospital for an evaluation/treatment. The driver (33-year-old AAF) did not sustain any injuries. The driver stated a vehicle cut her off which then caused her to swerve, go into the grass, up a hill and her vehicle flipped. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
14) MIDTOWN: Strong Arm Robbery – 2:17 a.m. Officers responded to the area of Monroe St/West Lawn Ave for a report of a strong armed robbery by a victim (30-year-old WM). The victim stated he was walking home when he was jumped and assaulted by a suspect (AAM) who took his wallet. The suspect fled. The victim sustained visible injuries. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.