Tag: Community Policing
January 26, 2015 11:38 AM
On May 2nd, 2014, my third day as Chief for the City of Madison, I was finishing up on some work at my beloved training office when I heard the alert tone sound from my desktop scanner. As cops, we have all experienced that anxious moment wondering if it will be a call assigned to me and … [read more]
January 12, 2015 11:33 AM
On January 9, 2015, the group known as the Young, Gifted, and Black Coalition sent an "Open Letter to Police Chief Koval" and recipients including Mayor Paul Soglin and City of Madison Alders. While there were many concerns and "demands" that were directed to me, one paragraph stood out … [read more]
December 16, 2014 1:02 PM
As our nation struggles with looking to improve measures taken to provide for greater transparency, accountability, and sensitivity of our police toward the citizens we are sworn to protect and serve, I have been asked what steps are being taken by MPD. While there is no one-size-fits-all … [read more]
November 7, 2014 8:35 AM
For many area residents the thought of Halloween reminds us of kids in costume, trick or treating, and scary movies replayed on cable TV. For many Madison Police Officers, thoughts of Halloween remind us of downtown, and the festivities that take place along the six blocks of State Street. … [read more]
September 19, 2014 8:46 AM
Each year, the United States honors the contributions that Latinos have made to the nation with a Hispanic Heritage Month celebration that runs from September 15 through October 15. This period is a time to celebrate the heritage and culture of our Hispanic and Latino Community. The … [read more]
August 26, 2014 10:47 AM
The Madison Police Department has a long history of working with our community and has developed a great deal of experience in facilitating and responding to pre-planned demonstrations, events, assemblies, marches, and spontaneous incidents. Our primary goal while managing large crowd … [read more]
August 19, 2014 2:40 PM
In an attempt to stay engaged with constituent questions and concerns, a number of community forums have been scheduled for the month of September. These sessions are an opportunity to provide me with direct feedback and there will also be a representative from the hosting District should you … [read more]
August 12, 2014 2:17 PM
The Spring Student Party (formally known as the Mifflin Street Block Party) has traditionally been held on the first Saturday in May. The party began in the late 1960’s as a street protest, where students took to street dancing in an effort to bring attention of their disdain for the Vietnam … [read more]
August 6, 2014 12:43 PM
Once again this year, several officers from MPD, other law enforcement agencies, community-based organizations and volunteers will be joining together to host a number of “youth academies” over the next three weeks. All of these youth academies seek to: • Build a relationship of trust … [read more]
July 30, 2014 12:19 PM
Come join the Madison Police Department on Tuesday, August 5th for National Night Out! The event takes place at Warner Park from 5PM to 8PM in the parking lot next to the Madison Mallards Stadium. National Night Out is celebrated nationwide as an event for communities to bring residents and … [read more]
July 15, 2014 12:53 PM
The Madison Police Department is a proud sponsor of CampHERO, an experience for girls in grades K-12. CampHERO, currently in its third year, was created by Girl Scouts of Wisconsin-Badgerland Council in partnership with local police, fire and EMS agencies. CampHERO teaches girls about the … [read more]
July 8, 2014 11:45 AM
The City of Madison Police Department has more than 500 employees, and serves a population of about 243,000. Yet as recently as 2004, the department had virtually no K9 capabilities. While one K9 officer was assigned to the countywide drug unit, the Madison Police Department had no K9s … [read more]
June 20, 2014 3:41 PM
The Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics has been a yearly event in Wisconsin since 1986. The Torch Run in Wisconsin is the largest grass-roots fundraiser and public awareness for Special Olympics. This event is held in all 50 States, 12 Canadian provinces and 48 countries. It … [read more]
June 9, 2014 8:50 AM
The Madison Police Mounted Patrol Unit’s riding season is in full swing! You may see them out and about in a city park, bike path or neighborhood area during the week or you may see them working downtown on the weekends. The unit consists of four riders and four horses. The horses offer many … [read more]
April 14, 2014 3:53 PM
Each and every Madison Police Department officer is trained to respond to and to handle calls that involve persons with a mental illness by use of compassion, appropriate communication/de-escalation and stabilization skills and to work collaboratively toward an effective resolution. We have a … [read more]
March 26, 2014 1:16 PM
There is a new effort and partnership between the Madison Police Department and the residents of the Parkside Apartment complex, located at the corner of W. Washington Avenue and S. Park Street. The area consists of a mix of public and private housing complexes commonly known as the … [read more]
February 11, 2014 3:13 PM
The Madison Police Department participates in numerous events and activities throughout the year which include community/neighborhood events, celebrations and charity fundraisers. We also participate in yearly events such as Big Rig Gig, Safety Saturday, Juneteenth Day events, Ethnic Fest, … [read more]
January 24, 2014 11:33 AM
The Madison Police Department recognizes racial disparities within the criminal justice system and is committed to helping mitigate the issues that impact this problem. One of our core values is that we value diversity. We value diversity in our community and also as to the make-up of our … [read more]
January 13, 2014 9:31 AM
One program, a 3 year time period, a socioeconomic savings of over $11 million dollars and a 96.5% reduction of criminal charges is what the SIU is about. Please continue to read on to see the importance of this program and the huge impact it has had on our community! Several years ago … [read more]
January 6, 2014 2:46 PM
19 well-deserved children, 23 Madison Police Department staff members, community agencies and members working together…..this all led to another successful Shop with a Cop event in 2013! The Shop with a Cop event was created in order to reach out to those less fortunate around the … [read more]
December 18, 2013 4:15 PM
Community Policing is an approach to policing that is a cornerstone to how we fulfill our mission here at the Madison Police Department. It is about working with the members of our community to build trust and positive relationships in order to have a great city in which we can all live, work … [read more]
November 11, 2013 3:39 PM
All too often there is someone in our community who is involved in a domestic violence relationship that they don’t know how to cope with, how to get out of, how to be safe, or how to ask for help. In January 2011, the Madison Police Department and Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS) … [read more]
November 6, 2013 11:37 AM
When you watch the news or read the news it is almost a certainty that you will learn about negative issues, concerns or problems in a community. It is a reality that these issues exist. I like to bring attention however to positive events in our community that you may or may not be aware … [read more]
August 1, 2013 12:06 PM
I have just learned that the MPD has been selected as one of seven finalists for a prestigious international award. This is the second time in recent years the Center for Problem-Oriented Policing has recognized the MPD as finalist for the Goldstein Award. It "recognizes innovative and … [read more]
April 24, 2013 11:53 AM
There is some good news to report as we take a look at Madison's crime numbers from this past year, 2012. The big picture is our crime numbers dropped 3.4 percent when compared to 2011. We saw significant decreases in several key crime categories: assault, homicide, motor … [read more]
Subscribe to Email List
Posts By Month
Posts By Category
- Community Partnerships
- Crime Statistics
- 2014 Rhythm and Booms
- 2015 Citizen's Academy
- A Discussion about MPD's Deadly Forc...
- A Message from Chief Koval about the...
- Activities of Off-Duty Officers
- Apply to be a Madison Police Officer...
- Assistant Chief Gaber's Visit to the...
- Awaiting a Decision from the Distric...
- Chief Koval's Community Forums
- Chief Koval's Mailbag on a variety o...
- Chief Koval's Reflections - Protests...
- Chief Koval's Response to DA's Decision
- Community Forums with Chief Koval
- Final Blog from Randy Gaber as Inter...
- Freakfest 2014
- Gangs in Madison and Why Kids Join G...
- Happy New Year!
- Heroin Epidemic
- Hispanic Heritage Month September 15...
- Holiday Safety Tips
- Immigration Reform is about Communit...
- It's the Small Things that Matter
- Law Enforcement Torch Run for Specia...
- Madison Police Continue to "Give Back"
- Madison Police Department and CampHERO
- Madison Police Department Announces ...
- Madison Police Department Annual Hos...
- Madison Police Department Annual Shi...
- Madison Police Department Appreciate...
- Madison Police Department Armored Re...
- Madison Police Department Citizen Ac...
- Madison Police Department K9 Unit
- Madison Police Department Management...
- Madison Police Department Mounted Pa...
- Madison Police Department Open Recor...
- Madison Police Department Recognized...
- Madison Police Department Recruit Cl...
- Madison Police Department Supporting...
- Madison Police Department's Mental H...
- Madison Police Department's Pawn Pro...
- Madison Should Take Pride in its Police
- March - National Women's History Month
- March - National Women's History Month
- Marijuana Legalization: Chief Koval'...
- Message to our Community from Chief ...
- Midtown Station - Status and Updates
- MPD and Local Agencies to Host Youth...
- MPD Announcing Two New Detective Uni...
- MPD Launches Innovative New Website
- MPD Shout Out to YWCA's Racial Justi...
- MPD's 2014 Pre-Service Academy
- MPD's Best Strategy in Fostering Trust
- MPD's Efforts to Reduce and Eliminat...
- MPDs Use of New Domestic Violence Re...
- National Cyber Security Month
- National Night Out - Madison Police ...
- Observations from Chief Koval - Reco...
- Overview of the 2014 Spring Student ...
- Overview of the Multi-Dimensional Co...
- Police Grants Save Taxypayer Money
- Police Rifles: Why We Carry What We Do
- Process, Explanation and Response to...
- Remembering Trooper Trevor Casper an...
- Response to an Open Letter
- Safe Communities Madison-Dane County
- Safety Tips and Winter Driving Tips
- Saving Lives
- Shop with a Cop 2013
- Thank you Chief Wray
- The "Madison Method"
- The Impact and Success of the Specia...
- Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Co...
- Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin