The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/18/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/19/2019, MPD received 491 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 491 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (95), East (98), Midtown (71), North (71), South (45), West (73), and Other (38). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) WEST: Death Investigation – 7:54 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residential care facility for a deceased subject (33-year-old HM). The decedent had multiple health issues. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 9:37 a.m. Officers responded to N. Ingersoll Street for a report of a stolen auto. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Information/Child Abuse – 11:18 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital regarding injuries to a 5-month-old child (AAF). Explanation by caregiver of what occurred were consistent with injuries. No concerns for the well-being/care of the child identified at this time. The child was released to her parent(s). Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Information/Strong Armed Robbery – 11:40 a.m. Officers met with a victim (20-year-old WF) who reported being approached/robbed by a WF near Orchard/Spring Street in mid-January. The victim reported handing over money to the suspect when it was demanded of her (weapon implied but not seen). Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 2:22 p.m. Officers observed a wanted suspect (22-year-old AAM) in the 1100 block of S. Park Street. The suspect was contacted and arrested for outstanding warrants for possession with intent to deliver heroin and carrying a concealed weapon.
6) CENTRAL: Aggravated/Substantial Battery – 6:06 p.m. Officers responded to W. Washington Ave/N. Carroll St for a report of a battery between two subjects (30-year-old WM victim and 38-year-old WM suspect). The victim was walking when he was approached by the suspect who asked him for a cigarette. The victim gave the suspect a cigarette and was then attacked for no apparent reason. The suspect strangled the victim. Bystanders intervened. The suspect was highly intoxicated and possibly under the influence of drugs. The suspect was arrested for battery and strangulation.
7) CENTRAL: Fight Call – 7:51 p.m. Officers responded to the 100 block of W. Washington Ave for a fight in progress. A 51-year-old WM was arrested for disorderly conduct. Additional subjects/charges may be forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 8:22 p.m. Officers responded to Qdoba on State St for a subject/suspect (58-year-old AAM) causing a disturbance. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct.
9) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 10:22 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (43-year-old WF victim and 42-year-old WM suspect). The victim and suspect are married. The suspect came home, after being gone for several days, and caused a disturbance. The suspect pushed and strangled the victim. The suspect damaged the residence. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived but was located/detained. Probable cause was developed and the suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct, battery and criminal damage to property (all domestic-related charges).
10) EAST: Check Area – 11:16 p.m. Officers responded to Claire St for a report of shots fired. Areas checked. No casings/evidence of shots fired located. Residents believe the sounds heard were fireworks. No further action deemed necessary by officers.