The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 9:10 a.m. on 08/22/2018 through 9:10 a.m. on 08/23/2018, MPD received 524 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 524 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (86), East (91), Midtown (68), North (85), South (63), West (87), and Other (44). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority only calls from 4:30am-7:01am due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Information – 2:46 a.m. A subject contacted police about someone breaking into his home. The subject's roommate was contacted who informed police that the subject was intoxicated and there were no issues at their home. The original complainant contacted police several hours after the original call was serviced asking for a status report. The complainant was contacted and his continuing explanation of what occurred was unclear and inconsistent. No immediate concerns were identified. No injuries reported. There were difficulties in corroborating several parts of the story. Investigation continuing. * This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) EAST: Check Person – 4:50 a.m. A subject (55-year-old HF) was found unconscious by co-workers. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for non-life threatening, self-inflicted injuries. The subject was voluntarily admitted and left in the care of medical staff.
3) NORTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 7:52 a.m. Officers responded to Troy Dr for a subject (19-year-old WF) experiencing an overdose (pills). The subject was conveyed to a local hospital where she was voluntarily admitted. The subject was left in the care of medical staff.
4) CENTRAL: Residential Burglary – 9:30 a.m. Officers responded to Langdon St for a report of a missing rifle from a residence. It is unknown when the rifle went missing. The rifle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. There was no magazine or ammunition with the rifle when stolen. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Weapons Offense – 11:06 a.m. Officers responded to the 4700 block of Cottage Grove Rd for a report of a subject pointing a gun out of a vehicle. The vehicle/subject was observed driving at a high rate of speed on Cottage Grove Rd. The subject fled on foot from the vehicle. Officers set up a perimeter. A K9 conducted a search. The vehicle/cell phone from the subject was recovered. Subject/suspect (AAM) is at-large. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 2:43 p.m. Officers responded to a business on Zeier Rd for a retail theft complaint. The suspect (18-year-old WM) was cited and released. After the suspect was released, a staff member from the business observed a subject exit the suspect's vehicle and stumble around. The subject (18-year-old AAM) was contacted to check his welfare and he was found to be under the influence of some substance. The AAM was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Multiple facsimile firearms were located in the vehicle. The original suspect was arrested and conveyed to jail to post on a municipal citation.
7) EAST: Check Property – 2:51 p.m. Dispatch received a call reference five subjects holding someone against their will at a business on Cottage Grove Rd. Areas checked. No concerns were found/identified. No other information known/reported.
8) SOUTH: Child Abuse – 2:53 p.m. Officers responded to a report of child abuse of a 6-year-old (HF) by her mother/suspect (HF). The child was observed at a local hospital for some visible injuries. The child is safe in the care of her father. Child Protective Services notified. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Aggravated/Substantial Battery – 4:34 p.m. Officers responded to meet with a victim (17-year-old WM) who reported being assaulted by three male subjects. The victim sustained a broken nose and bruising to his face. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Death Investigation – 4:41 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (65-year-old WF). Nothing suspicious observed. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 6:20 p.m. Officers responded to the 1900 block of Northport Dr for an unwanted subject/suspect (20-year-old AAM). The suspect was contacted and when officers went to effect the arrest, the suspect resisted and fled on foot. The suspect was apprehended, arrested and charged with trespassing, resisting/obstructing, entry into a locked dwelling and a probation/parole hold.
12) CENTRAL: Assist MFD/Fire Investigation – 6:43 p.m. Officers responded, along with MFD, to a fire in a building on Fordem Ave. The fire was extinguished. Investigation continuing.
13) EAST: Weapons Offense – 6:54 p.m. Officers responded to the 4700 block of Cottage Grove Rd for a report of two subjects (AAMs) with a handgun. A subject/suspect (21-year-old AAM) was contacted and subsequently cited/released for discharge of a firearms violation. No weapons were located.
14) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 9:22 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (55-year-old AAF victim and 28-year-old AAF suspect). The suspect is the victim's daughter. The suspect assaulted her mother/victim. The victim sustained visible injuries. The suspect was arrested for domestic battery and domestic disorderly conduct.
15) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 10:59 p.m. Officers responded to a report of an armed robbery of a pizza delivery driver/victim (24-year-old WM). Two suspects (AAMs) approached the victim, one suspect pointed a gun at the victim and demanded money. The suspects fled. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
16) NORTH: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 1:22 a.m. Officers responded to a caller who reported hearing several shots fired near Starling Ln/Redwing Ln. Officers located five casings in the area. No injuries reported or damage located. Investigation continuing.
17) CENTRAL: Theft – 1:49 a.m. Officers met with a victim (25-year-old WM) who reported that his backpack containing expensive camera equipment was stolen. Investigation continuing.