From 5:30 a.m. on 08/20/2017 through 5:30 a.m. on 08/21/2017, MPD received 386 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
1) WEST: Found Person - 6:18am. Officers responded to Ritz Dr regarding a caller standing by with a subject (WM, 3yo) he had observed wandering in the area alone. Officers contacted the subject, who was able to tell officers his name but could not provide his address. After exhaustively checking area for the subject's parents/residence, officers gave the subject something to eat and transported the subject to West PD. Dane County Human Services responded, assumed custody, and placed the subject with a foster family. Shortly thereafter, Dispatch was contacted by the very concerned aunt of the subject. The aunt explained that she and her husband were caring for the subject for his parents, who are from out of town and were away vacationing. Apparently, sometime this morning, the subject was able to defeat the deadbolt, let himself out of the apartment, and became lost. When caller discovered the subject missing, she contacted the parents and started searching. After she was unable to locate the subject, the caller contacted 911. The subject has been reunited with aunt/uncle. Parents returning...
2) EAST: Theft from Auto - 8:31am. Officers responded to residence in the 1300 block of Ellenwood Dr regarding a report of a theft of firearm from a vehicle. The complainant (AM, 44yo) reported that his vehicle was entered sometime overnight while parked in his driveway and his semi-auto handgun was stolen. The complainant advised that the handgun was loaded (10 rounds) and in a holster. No suspect information. Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Disturbance - 11:21am. Officers responded to the Talk & Fix Store in West Towne Mall for report of disturbance. Officers made contact with the complainant (AM, 26yo), who advised that he requested another mall employee to call police after he observed a suspect (AAM, approx 18yo) in a prior fraud incident inside the mall. The complainant advised that one week ago, the suspect brought his phone in to be repaired. The complainant completed the repair, the suspect came to retrieve the phone, grabbed it, and fled without making payment. The suspect attempted to leave and the complainant restrained suspect. The suspect punched the complainant multiple times in the neck, broke free, and fled. The complainant was not injured and interested only in receiving payment for services. A check of area for suspect yielded negative results. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Drug Incident – 2:35pm. The owner of a business in the 1600 block of Seiferth Dr can remotely view the grounds of his business via video. He observed two suspects (WM, 34yo; AAM, 35yo) on the gated property taking items from a dumpster. These items are still considered salvagable by the business and are considered to have value. Officers contacted the suspects before they left the property with the items collected from the business. The WM suspect was arrested for bail jumping, theft, and possession of heroin. The AAM suspect was issued a misdemeanor citation for theft and released at the scene.
5) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 2:57pm. There were numerous calls to Dispatch about an individual causing a disturbance in the 600 block of State St. A witness was contacted and described an incident where the suspect grabbed a chair from an outdoor café and battered the victim (WM, 31yo). The suspect (WM, 35yo) is known to officers and was contacted in the 100 block of State St and arrested for battery, criminal damage to property, and disorderly conduct.
6) EAST: Assist EMS – 5:17pm. Officers and Madison Fire were dispatched to a residence in the 5400 block of Starker Ave in reference to an unresponsive subject (WM, 62yo). The subject was found by his mother unconscious in his room. CCR was started by the mother and the subject had a pulse and was breathing when officers arrived. MFD administered naloxone and the subject started coming around. No paraphernalia was seen but the subject does take opiate pain medication so this might be an accidental overdose. Hospital staff believed this was a "catastrophic neural event" and not an overdose.
7) EAST: Sexual Assault of a Child – 6:31pm. Police were dispatched to investigate a possible sexual assault that occurred over two weeks ago. This is a somewhat convoluted story between two subjects who know each other and were in a consensual relationship at the time of the possible assault. One party was contacted at this time and officers are attempting to contact the other subject tonight. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Shots Fired – 10:51pm. Multiple callers reported hearing five to 12 gunshots in the area of Schroeder Rd and S Whitney Way. The callers ranged from Salisbury Place, Hampshire Place, and Schroeder Road for the geographic area reported. Officers contacted reporting persons and also checked the entire area. No damage or injured people were located at this time.