From 5:30 a.m. on 02/02/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 02/03/2018, MPD received 416 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
** Due to call volume and the complexity of the calls, Madison Police Department was on priority calls only city-wide from 12:30 a.m. until 5:30 a.m.
1) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 6:14 a.m. Officers responded to D'Onofrio Drive and contacted a suspect (45 year old WM) who violated a restraining order against a 43 year old WF. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to jail.
2) WEST: Stolen Auto - 6:22 a.m. Officers responded to Muir Field Road for a stolen vehicle that was left running, unlocked and unoccupied. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was entered as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance - 7:58 a.m. Officers responded to a domestic disturbance on Petra Place. The victim (35 year old WF) was pushed down the stairs by a 39 year old white male suspect. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
4) SOUTH: Death Investigation - 9:52 a.m. Officers responded to a south side residence for a deceased subject (75 year old WM). Nothing suspicious on scene. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
5) MIDTOWN: Armed Robbery - 12:25 p.m. Officers responded to an armed robbery at the Old National Bank on N. Midvale Boulevard. The suspect (AAM) fled on foot with cash after displaying a gun. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
6) MIDTOWN: Sex Offense Miscellaneous – 2:03 p.m. MPD received several reports of persons receiving a video via Facebook messenger depicting an AAF juvenile performing sex with an adult AAM. Some of the senders appear to be illegitimate Facebook accounts. A copy of the video was taken as evidence. Recipients were instructed to delete the video. Officers were working trying to contact one sender, who was local, but this may possibly be a virus/hack type message that is automatically sending from an unknown source. MPD detectives requested Facebook shut down the video, but at this time that has not happened. As of the completion of today's daily blog, MPD continues to receive complaints of this incident. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Trespassing – 4:06 p.m. MPD responded to a high school after a student, who was involved in a disturbance earlier in the day and suspended, returned to the school to continue to fight. The suspect (15 year old AAM) was not compliant with the Education Resource Officer (ERO) and resisted arrest. The suspect then fled but was located a short distance away and conveyed to JRC on trespassing and resisting charges.
8) EAST: Weapons Offense/Person with a Gun – 7:18 p.m. Officers were dispatched to Walter Street for a person inside a residence with a gun intending to harm himself. A family member removed the firearm and evacuated the residence. Officers established a perimeter while gathering further information. Numerous attempts were made to call the subject. MPD also used a loud speaker in an attempt to establish communication but were unsuccessful in doing so. Eventually, officers were able to make contact with the 63 year old WM subject who we learned was hearing impaired, which is why we weren't getting a response. The subject complied with officers allowing them to take him into custody at 8:52 p.m. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Weapons Offense/Theft – 8:24 p.m. A 40 – 60 year old AAM suspect approached an individual sitting in his car at a liquor store on Park Street. The suspect asks to use a phone and then gets into the car to make a call. As the driver and passenger had completed their transaction at the liquor store, they asked the suspect to get out of their car. The suspect got out of the car but wouldn't return the phone. The passenger from the car demands the phone back and then the suspect and the passenger square off to fight. The passenger/victim is stabbed and the suspect flees the area. The driver took the passenger/victim to a local hospital where this incident was then reported for the first time. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense/Person with a Gun – 8:49 p.m. Officers responded to the 900 block of Spaight Street for a report of a neighbor who pointed a gun at the caller's friend after a dispute over loud music. At the time of the call, the parties were separated. Officers investigated and learned that the suspect (38 year old WM) pointed a gun at the 23 year old WM victim's head. Officers arrested the suspect and took him to the Dane County Jail. A loaded .22 caliber handgun was recovered.
11) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 9:06 p.m. The North Community Policing Team (CPT) was conducting surveillance at a fast food restaurant on East Washington Avenue because of reports of drug dealing. The North CPT did, in fact, observe a drug transaction and stopped one of the vehicles involved. A 32 year old AAM suspect was arrested on drug related charges and conveyed to the Dane County Jail.
12) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 12:13 a.m. North officers were sent to the 2500 block of Coolidge Street for a report of multiple shots fired and several vehicles involved in a crash. When officers arrived on scene, they located two injured parties a 24 year old WM and a 24 year old AAM. Both of these individuals were transported to local hospitals. One subject had a significant injury requiring hospitalization, likely as a result of the crash. The second subject sustained facial injuries as a result of the crash. (This second individual was a wanted party and was taken to the jail following a medical clearance.) It should be noted that a stolen handgun was recovered from one of the cars at the crash scene. A K-9 track, which occurred at the crash, revealed that at least one other individual likely ran from the scene. A short time later, a 27 year old AAM arrived at a local hospital with head injuries consistent from a crash as well as a bullet graze wound to the head. Altogether, at least four cars were involved in this investigation and an occupied house was struck by a vehicle. It was also learned that a home was struck by a bullet. The bullet went into an occupied home and narrowly missed a sleeping individual. MPD's Violent Crimes Unit was summoned in to assist. Individuals who were taken to local hospitals have not been cooperating with the investigation. Investigation is continuing. Press release completed.
13) CENTRAL: Conveyance Mental Health – 12:47 a.m. Madison officers were dispatched to the 6th floor of an apartment building in the 500 block of University Avenue for a 22 year old white male who was threatening to jump. Officers arrived and rushed up the 6th floor and found the subject standing on the balcony saying goodbye to his mother and telling her that he loved her. Just as he was hanging up on the caller, officers lunged at him and were able to grab him, thereby preventing him from jumping. The subject was pulled to safety and taken to the hospital for a psychiatric evaluation which resulted in a voluntary admission.
14) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 3:22 a.m. Central officers responded to King Street for a disturbance involving a weapon. Officers learned that one roommate pointed a handgun at another roommate. The roommate that had the gun pointed at him (the victim) was able to disarm the primary aggressor. After being disarmed, the suspect went back to his room and obtained another firearm (a shotgun). Officers responded and arrested the 28 year old WM and took him to the Dane County Jail on charges of reckless endangering safety and domestic disorderly conduct. Both firearms used were collected as evidence. The suspect was also reportedly intoxicated when he pointed the firearms during this incident.