The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 04/01/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 04/02/2019, MPD received 424 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 424 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (65), East (87), Midtown (62), North (77), South (47), West (58), and Other (28). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 7:58 am. Officers responded to a local hospital for a subject (28-year-old WM) who was making suicidal statements. The subject was placed in protective custody and transported to Winnebago Mental Health Institute.
2) EAST: Death Investigation – 11:10 am. The brother of a subject (63-year-old WF) responded to her residence to check her welfare and found her deceased. Nothing suspicious found on scene. Medical examiner responded.
3) MIDTOWN: Residential Burglary – 11:12 am. A victim (21-year-old WM) reported two laptops and a backpack stolen from his midtown residence. There was no suspect information. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Extortion – 11:22 am. A victim (30-year-old HM) reported he has been making wire transfers to a subject he met online so that the subject would not provide his family with screenshots that were of a sensitive nature. According to Western Union, the money has been picked up by someone in another country. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 11:39 am. Officers responded to a local hospital where a victim (26-year-old AAM) reported he was confronted by the suspect (40-year-old AAF) in a parking lot in the 5100 block of W Terrace Dr. The suspect was armed with a knife and cut the victim's cheek. The suspect fled the scene and remains at large. Probable cause was developed to charge the suspect (who was the grandmother of the victim's child) with domestic 1st degree reckless endangerment. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: - 2:26 pm. A victim (46-year-old WF) reported unwanted sexual contact with an acquaintance/suspect (58-year-old WM). The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and 4th degree sexual assault and taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
7) MIDTOWN: Disturbance – 3:43 pm. Officers responded to St Mary's Hospital for a suspect (19-year-old WM) who was creating a disturbance and attempting to strike hospital staff. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and two counts of bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Strong Arm Robbery – 6:03 pm. Officers responded to the Family Dollar at 2849 N Sherman Ave where a suspect (AAM in his thirties) grabbed a clerk/victim (51-year-old WF), threw her to the ground, and took money from the register. The suspect fled on foot and remains at large. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.
9) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 9:11 pm. Officers responded to the Taco Bell at 534 State St for a suspect (49-year-old AAM) who was yelling at staff and customers, attempting to start a fight. The suspect was arrested for carrying a concealed knife, disorderly conduct and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Check Person – 9:21 pm. Officers made contact on S Pinckney St with a subject (39-year-old WM) who was suicidal. The subject was taken to a local hospital for evaluation and placed in protective custody. Officers were preparing to transport the subject to Winnebago at the time of this writing.
11) SOUTH: Armed Robbery – 9:25 pm. Officers responded to the 7 Eleven at 2703 W Beltline Hwy where a suspect was armed with a box cutter and attempted to take money from the register. The clerk/victim (42-year-old WF) sustained a minor cut to her hand and was treated at a local hospital. The suspect fled on foot and remains at large. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.
12) EAST: Non-residential Burglary – 3:56 am. Officers responded to a burglar alarm at 4901 Commercial Ave. The suspect(s) smashed the front door of the business and attempted to gain access to the ATM. Investigation continuing.