From 5:30 a.m. on 02/23/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 02/24/2018, MPD received 468 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown.
1) EAST: Mental Health Conveyance – 8:44 a.m. Officers responded to a medical facility to take a subject (47 year old AAM) into protective custody on a Chapter 51 (mental health issues) return. The subject became uncooperative as officers were en route to the medical facility. Security was able to detain and calm the subject down. Officers took custody of the subject and transported the subject to Winnebago without incident.
2) CENTRAL: Check Person – 11:28 a.m. Officers responded to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (18 year old AAF) in a parking structure. The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. The subject's actions were determined to be behavioral in nature and she was conveyed to the Dane County Care Center for continued treatment and observation.
3) MIDTOWN: Sexual Assault – 1:30 p.m. MPD officers responded to a local hospital and took a report from a 32 year old WF regarding a sexual encounter she had with a 29 year old AAM the previous evening. The two had met and made plans over Snapchat to meet for consensual activities which apparently then exceeded the scope of expectations. A forensic nursing exam (FNE) was completed at a local hospital. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 5:49 p.m. MPD officers responded to the cafeteria of a local hospital. The caller knew Madison Police had probable cause to arrest the 71 year old AAM suspect for an incident from the previous day. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to the Dane County Jail and noticed that he was not permitted to enter the hospital's premises again.
5) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 7:16 p.m. North officers were called to the 2500 block of Calypso Road for a loud disturbance and possible fight. Upon arrival, officers learned from a neighbor there were sounds from within an apartment that would indicate someone was battered. Officers attempted to make contact at that apartment without success. Investigating officers heard moaning from within the apartment and after exhausting all other means to attempt entry into the apartment, forced entry was made and numerous individuals were located inside. None of the occupants cooperated with officers during the investigation. Two persons did have warrants and were subsequently arrested and booked into the Dane County Jail.
6) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 9:06 p.m. Officers were called to Trader Joe's for a male inside who was trying to give someone in the store marijuana. The suspect (42 year old WM) approached the first officer on scene and told the officer, "You are probably here for me. Here is my marijuana." Upon further investigation, officers learned the suspect has caused disturbances in the past at the store and management wanted the suspect banned from their premises. Officers also learned the suspect is on probation and has an open felony case. The suspect was arrested for bail jumping and a probation hold. During the transport to the Dane County Jail, the suspect intentionally smashed his head against the squad car's protective shield, causing his head to bleed. As a result, the suspect had to be transported to a local hospital for medical clearance. While at the hospital, the suspect spit blood onto a hospital security guard. This qualified as a "significant exposure" to the 58 year old WM victim/guard. The suspect also tried to spit blood onto Madison officers. The suspect received medical treatment and was then transported to the Dane County Jail with additional charges.
7) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 11:45 p.m. Central officers and MFD were called to the 600 block of State Street for a kiosk that was on fire. Officers arrived and were met by the 44 year old WM suspect who admitted he intentionally started the fire. The suspect was taken into custody and MFD extinguished the fire. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Missing Juvenile/Runaway – 12:17 a.m. MPD responded to a report of a missing juvenile/runaway. The foster parent reported that the 15 year old AAF has never done this before. Juvenile's description was aired and entered into appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 12:54 a.m. North officers were sent to a motel on Hayes Road for report of a 46 year old WM who indicated someone had just pointed a gun at him. The victim described coming to meet an individual to purchase marijuana. The two argued over the price and the 28 year old AAM suspect then pulled a gun and pointed it at the victim. Officers located the suspect and did recover a handgun. The suspect was taken to the Dane County Jail on a charge of felon in possession of a firearm and endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Adult Arrested Person/Domestic Battery – 2:19 a.m. East officers were called to the 4500 block of Commercial Avenue for a report of a domestic disturbance. The victim (29 year old AAF) reported that she asked the suspect (32 year old AAM) to sleep in the garage because he was drunk and belligerent. After staying in the garage for a few hours, the suspect knocked to come in, pushed and then slapped the victim. The suspect was arrested for domestic battery and taken to the Dane County Jail.