March 2, 2015 9:01 AM
This week's submission on "Why kids join gangs" has been authored by Sergeant Brian Chaney, who directs the activities of our gang unit. Sgt. Chaney offers a general primer of potential signs or "flags" that MAY be indicative of a youth who is straying. While it is by no means a … [read more]
February 24, 2015 11:30 AM
This week, MPD will be adding a new component to investigations of domestic violence. Officers have been trained to complete a domestic violence danger assessment questionnaire which will be directed toward victims. The assessment consists of 15 questions. Research indicates … [read more]
December 4, 2014 1:57 PM
With the winter chill in the air and the approaching holiday season, the Madison Crime Prevention Unit has several tips for your safety. Your personal safety should always be on your mind when out shopping and in the public. During the holiday season people are usually distracted by their … [read more]
October 8, 2014 9:31 AM
In a recent opinion commentary submitted by a guest in a local newspaper, a number of issues are raised (related to whether police need AR15’s) that compel me to provide our community with a different perspective. A perspective that is coming from a career police officer of over 30 years; and … [read more]
October 3, 2014 8:49 AM
Over the past several years in early October, the YWCA organizes and hosts a conference exploring racial justice issues in our society. At last year’s conference, the Wisconsin Council on Children and Families released their much discussed “Race to Equity” report. Over the past year, the … [read more]
September 19, 2014 8:46 AM
Each year, the United States honors the contributions that Latinos have made to the nation with a Hispanic Heritage Month celebration that runs from September 15 through October 15. This period is a time to celebrate the heritage and culture of our Hispanic and Latino Community. The … [read more]
September 9, 2014 10:14 AM
The Madison Police Department has a longstanding commitment to partnering with mental health providers, advocates, and consumers in an effort to improve services to those with mental illness. The Department’s nationally recognized Mental Health Liaison Program uses well-trained patrol … [read more]
September 3, 2014 11:21 AM
Each day, emails are sent out to our Department by the Officer-in-Charge giving a summary of the calls that occurred throughout Madison on each shift. Unfortunately, it has become rare that we don’t read about a heroin overdose or death on a regular basis. Heroin addiction is plaguing our … [read more]
August 19, 2014 2:40 PM
In an attempt to stay engaged with constituent questions and concerns, a number of community forums have been scheduled for the month of September. These sessions are an opportunity to provide me with direct feedback and there will also be a representative from the hosting District should you … [read more]
August 12, 2014 2:17 PM
The Spring Student Party (formally known as the Mifflin Street Block Party) has traditionally been held on the first Saturday in May. The party began in the late 1960’s as a street protest, where students took to street dancing in an effort to bring attention of their disdain for the Vietnam … [read more]
August 6, 2014 12:43 PM
Once again this year, several officers from MPD, other law enforcement agencies, community-based organizations and volunteers will be joining together to host a number of “youth academies” over the next three weeks. All of these youth academies seek to: • Build a relationship of trust … [read more]
July 30, 2014 12:19 PM
Come join the Madison Police Department on Tuesday, August 5th for National Night Out! The event takes place at Warner Park from 5PM to 8PM in the parking lot next to the Madison Mallards Stadium. National Night Out is celebrated nationwide as an event for communities to bring residents and … [read more]
July 21, 2014 1:00 PM
An incredibly informative conference and expo is scheduled to take place in Madison in September that our Department wants you to know about! The 2014 Dane County/Wisconsin State Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Conference and Expo is taking place on Friday, September 19, 2014 from 8am-4pm … [read more]
July 8, 2014 11:45 AM
The City of Madison Police Department has more than 500 employees, and serves a population of about 243,000. Yet as recently as 2004, the department had virtually no K9 capabilities. While one K9 officer was assigned to the countywide drug unit, the Madison Police Department had no K9s … [read more]
June 30, 2014 8:21 AM
Pawn shops and second hand dealers are legitimate businesses which provide a service to the community by buying used goods from the public and providing a low cost alternative to buying new and unused products. Unfortunately, there are those who use these businesses to dispose of items … [read more]
June 20, 2014 3:41 PM
The Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics has been a yearly event in Wisconsin since 1986. The Torch Run in Wisconsin is the largest grass-roots fundraiser and public awareness for Special Olympics. This event is held in all 50 States, 12 Canadian provinces and 48 countries. It … [read more]
June 13, 2014 3:04 PM
On June 4th, a longstanding community partner, Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin (Youth Services/YSOSW), hosted an open house showcasing their newly built facility at 2720 Rimrock Rd. As part of the event, there was a presentation during which Attic Angels donated $125,000 in support of … [read more]
June 2, 2014 11:23 AM
Earlier this year the Wisconsin Council on Children and Families released a report on "Race to Equity" which showed some staggering statistics about racial disparities in Dane County. In addition to this report, Rev. Dr. Alexander Gee, Jr.'s "Justified Anger" story that ran in the Capital … [read more]
April 14, 2014 3:53 PM
Each and every Madison Police Department officer is trained to respond to and to handle calls that involve persons with a mental illness by use of compassion, appropriate communication/de-escalation and stabilization skills and to work collaboratively toward an effective resolution. We have a … [read more]
April 7, 2014 9:57 AM
In our city there are serious injuries and deaths that occur far too often that we believe can be reduced with a coordinated community-wide effort of agencies working together. One of these agencies helping to pave ways towards this mission is Safe Communities. Safe Communities of … [read more]
March 26, 2014 1:16 PM
There is a new effort and partnership between the Madison Police Department and the residents of the Parkside Apartment complex, located at the corner of W. Washington Avenue and S. Park Street. The area consists of a mix of public and private housing complexes commonly known as the … [read more]
February 3, 2014 2:13 PM
This week you may be noticing new, along with familiar, faces patrolling your district. That is because every year Madison Police Department employees assigned to patrol are given an opportunity to select their work shift and district assignment based on their seniority within the … [read more]
January 13, 2014 9:31 AM
One program, a 3 year time period, a socioeconomic savings of over $11 million dollars and a 96.5% reduction of criminal charges is what the SIU is about. Please continue to read on to see the importance of this program and the huge impact it has had on our community! Several years ago … [read more]
December 18, 2013 4:15 PM
Community Policing is an approach to policing that is a cornerstone to how we fulfill our mission here at the Madison Police Department. It is about working with the members of our community to build trust and positive relationships in order to have a great city in which we can all live, work … [read more]
November 18, 2013 4:16 PM
Throughout the year the Madison Police Department participates in numerous events not only to bring awareness to important issues but to raise money for them as well. One of these events was our Annual Charity Golf Outing. The Madison Professional Police Officers Association (MPPOA) and … [read more]
November 11, 2013 3:39 PM
All too often there is someone in our community who is involved in a domestic violence relationship that they don’t know how to cope with, how to get out of, how to be safe, or how to ask for help. In January 2011, the Madison Police Department and Domestic Abuse Intervention Services (DAIS) … [read more]
November 6, 2013 11:37 AM
When you watch the news or read the news it is almost a certainty that you will learn about negative issues, concerns or problems in a community. It is a reality that these issues exist. I like to bring attention however to positive events in our community that you may or may not be aware … [read more]
October 31, 2013 4:30 PM
The law enforcement profession is a very rewarding field to work in but it is also a very dangerous line of work. Although we are fortunate here at the Madison Police Department that overall our city is a safe place to live and work, the men and women that sign up for this profession in our … [read more]
Subscribe to Email List
Posts By Month
Posts By Category
- Community Partnerships
- Crime Statistics
- "Shots Fired" Task Force
- 2014 Rhythm and Booms
- 2015 Citizen's Academy
- A Discussion about MPD's Deadly Forc...
- A Message from Chief Koval about the...
- Activities of Off-Duty Officers
- Apply to be a Madison Police Officer...
- Assistant Chief Gaber's Visit to the...
- Awaiting a Decision from the Distric...
- Chief Koval's Community Forums
- Chief Koval's Mailbag on a variety o...
- Chief Koval's Reflections - Protests...
- Chief Koval's Response to DA's Decision
- Community Forums with Chief Koval
- Final Blog from Randy Gaber as Inter...
- Freakfest 2014
- Gangs in Madison and Why Kids Join G...
- Happy New Year!
- Heroin Epidemic
- Hispanic Heritage Month September 15...
- Holiday Safety Tips
- Immigration Reform is about Communit...
- It's the Small Things that Matter
- Law Enforcement Torch Run for Specia...
- Madison Police Continue to "Give Back"
- Madison Police Department and CampHERO
- Madison Police Department Announces ...
- Madison Police Department Annual Hos...
- Madison Police Department Annual Shi...
- Madison Police Department Appreciate...
- Madison Police Department Armored Re...
- Madison Police Department Citizen Ac...
- Madison Police Department K9 Unit
- Madison Police Department Management...
- Madison Police Department Mounted Pa...
- Madison Police Department Open Recor...
- Madison Police Department Recognized...
- Madison Police Department Recruit Cl...
- Madison Police Department Supporting...
- Madison Police Department's Mental H...
- Madison Police Department's Pawn Pro...
- Madison Should Take Pride in its Police
- March - National Women's History Month
- March - National Women's History Month
- Marijuana Legalization: Chief Koval'...
- Message to our Community from Chief ...
- Midtown Station - Status and Updates
- MPD and Local Agencies to Host Youth...
- MPD Announcing Two New Detective Uni...
- MPD Launches Innovative New Website
- MPD Shout Out to YWCA's Racial Justi...
- MPD's 2014 Pre-Service Academy
- MPD's Best Strategy in Fostering Trust
- MPD's Efforts to Reduce and Eliminat...
- MPDs Use of New Domestic Violence Re...
- National Cyber Security Month
- National Night Out - Madison Police ...
- Observations from Chief Koval - Reco...
- Overview of the 2014 Spring Student ...
- Overview of the Multi-Dimensional Co...
- Police Grants Save Taxypayer Money
- Police Rifles: Why We Carry What We Do
- Process, Explanation and Response to...
- Remembering Trooper Trevor Casper an...
- Response to an Open Letter
- Safe Communities Madison-Dane County
- Safety Tips and Winter Driving Tips
- Saving Lives
- Shop with a Cop 2013
- Thank you Chief Wray
- The "Madison Method"
- The Impact and Success of the Specia...
- Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Co...
- Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin