The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 11/28/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 11/29/2018, MPD received 447 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 447 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (70), East (93), Midtown (79), North (68), South (37), West (58), and Other (42). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority only calls from 12:35pm-9:30pm due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Assist MFD – 6:36 a.m. Officers responded, along with MFD, to W. Main St for a report of smoke coming from the roof of a business. No concerns were located (the business was testing their alarm system which sounded alarms and strobe lights were going off).
2) CENTRAL: Assist MFD – 6:47 a.m. Officers responded, along with MFD, to a report of flames coming from a window on E. Washington. No concerns were located (confirmed to be a disco ball observed).
3) NORTH: Assist MFD – 7:58 a.m. Officers, along with MFD, responded to a north side residence due to a smoke alarm going off and a "slight haze" observed by the resident. No concerns were located at the residence.
4) EAST: Drug Incident Overdose – 8:20 a.m. Officers responded to N. Thompson Dr for a subject (25-year-old WF) experiencing an overdose. MFD administered Naloxone to the subject. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital and admitted to using heroin. The subject was cited for possession of heroin and referred to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative (MARI).
5) MIDTOWN: Disturbance – 9:29 a.m. Officers responded to the Probation/Parole office on Odana Rd regarding a male subject causing a disturbance. Officers arrived and made contact with staff who did not wish to press any charges. The subject was not on scene when officers were present. No further action deemed necessary by the police at this time.
6) CENTRAL: Assist Community Member – 9:57 a.m. Officers responded to N. Brooks and W. Johnson St for a community member in a wheelchair who was stranded in the middle of the intersection. Officers assisted by getting the subject and his wheelchair to safer territory. Officers also made arrangements for the subject to be transported to a place to have his wheelchair fixed.
7) WEST: Crash/Property Damage – 11:28 a.m. Officers responded to the Beltline at Verona Rd after a semi struck a light in a construction zone which caused multiple poles with electrical wires to fall. The road was closed down as resources were called to the area. Call ongoing.
8) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 11:42 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a deceased subject (102-year-old WF). Nothing suspicious on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Traffic Incident/Check Person – 11:46 a.m. Officers responded to Leland Drive for a single-vehicle crash. It was discovered that the driver (27-year-old UM) was suicidal and intentionally crashed into a tree. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Theft – 12:24 p.m. Officers responded to the Walmart on Nakoosa Trail regarding a retail theft in progress. Officers arrived and contacted the suspect (23-year-old AAM). The suspect was arrested for retail theft.
11) EAST: Information/Child Abuse – 1:19 p.m. Officers and Child Protective Services responded to a report of a child, who is in foster care, with some bruising/scratches on him. Nothing suspicious at this time. No charges have been substantiated. Investigation continuing.
12) EAST: Robbery – 6:35 p.m. Officers responded to a robbery at Wayne's Automotive on Cottage Grove Rd. The suspect (WM) demanded money and fled with cash. The suspect mentioned a gun, but one was not observed. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
13) WEST: Traffic Incident – 8:57 p.m. While on a separate crash call, a vehicle struck a MPD squad (which was not occupied). No injuries reported but significant damage to both vehicles occurred. Investigation continuing.
14) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 10:01 p.m. Officers responded to the 800 block of Troy Drive after receiving multiple calls of hearing shots fired. Officers located evidence that shots had in fact been fired in the street. No injuries reported/discovered. An occupied residence was struck by one of the fired rounds. MFD provided assistance to one of the apartment's occupants who was presenting symptoms of a panic attack. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
15) CENTRAL: Crash/Intoxicated Driver – 11:45 p.m. Officers responded to E. Washington Ave/N. Blair St for a vehicle/driver that struck a light post. The driver/suspect (30-year-old WM) left the scene. Officers contacted the suspect and he was subsequently arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (1st offense).
16) MIDTOWN: Intoxicated Driver – 3:20 a.m. A vehicle/driver was called into dispatch for driving on the wrong side of the road at Park/Badger. Officers observed the vehicle and a traffic stop was conducted. The driver/suspect (61-year-old WF) was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (2nd offense).