The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/29/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/30/2018, MPD received 441 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 441 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (88), East (87), Midtown (70), North (65), South (46), West (62), and Other (23). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls for East District from 1:21 p.m. to 3:56 p.m.
1) EAST: Information/Child Abuse – 5:33 a.m. Officers were dispatched to an East side residential address to investigate a child abuse complaint. A 1-year-old AAF had been staying with her grandmother (42-year-old AAF) while her mother was at work. The child's mother noticed that the juvenile was walking with a limp and took her to the emergency room for evaluation. CPS was notified. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Death Investigation – 12:23 p.m. MPD Patrol units responded to the 3100 block of Webb Ave for a report of a possible death. Upon arrival, officers met family members and based upon the information received, subsequently forced entry into the residence. The officers located two individuals (a 34-year-old AAF and a 39-year-old AAM) who were both found deceased with apparent gunshot wounds. These two subjects were known to one another in a domestic context and the Violent Crimes Unit as well as district detectives and forensic investigators are continuing the investigation into what appears to be a murder/suicide. As in any death investigation case, the release of the names of the deceased, as well as the official cause of death will be made by the Medical Examiner's Office. A firearm was recovered at the scene and this is believed to be an isolated incident with no ongoing threat to members of the public. More information will be released at a press conference on Monday afternoon. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Armed Robbery – 1:08 p.m. MPD officers were dispatched to 2302 Atwood Ave (The Chocolate Shoppe), reference a robbery. The cashier reported that the suspect walked up to the window and demanded money. The suspect added that he did not want to shoot the cashier. A weapon was not displayed. The suspect fled on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash. The suspect was not located. The suspect was described as an AAM, early 20's to mid-20's, wearing a white hoodie, black baseball cap, and blue jeans. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Traffic Crash – 2:25 p.m. A 2-car crash took place in the 300 block of W Johnson St by the Red Rock Saloon. One of the vehicles, driven by a 72-year-old AAF, was knocked off the road and into the south side of the Red Rock Saloon. The driver of the other vehicle, a 34-year-old AF, was cited for unsafe lane deviation after claiming she did not see anyone before switching lanes and striking the victim's vehicle. No injuries were reported on scene. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 3:45 p.m. Officers made contact with a 5-year-old AAF and her mother and grandmother at an East side residential address. During the course of investigation, there was an inference of inappropriate touching by a family member. As a result, CPS was notified. Investigation continuing.
6) MIDTOWN: Assist Dane County Sheriff's Office/Threats Complaint/Check Welfare – 4:11 p.m. Dane County Sheriff's Office was looking for a 28-year-old WM subject who was reportedly suicidal, armed with a gun, and decompensating due to his pending divorce. MPD did some follow-up in checking the welfare of this subject and reported the results back to the Dane County Sheriff's Department for further resolution.
7) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 6:35 p.m. MPD responded to a parent's concerns of their daughter, a 14-year-old WF, who may be having sexual relations with a juvenile male. The incident was documented at this time for further follow-up.
8) SOUTH: Information/Armed Robbery – 9:49 p.m. The victim (19-year-old WF) reported that she was set up for a robbery on Pelham Rd. Investigation reflected that the suspect, a 27-year-old AAM, joined by a second suspect, an AAM accomplice, produced a handgun and demanded money and her phone. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Armed Robbery – 11:06 p.m. MPD responded to a victim (23- year-old WF) who indicated she was robbed while walking on S Livingston St. Apparently, the victim was approached by an AAM suspect, 25 to 30-years-old, 5'5" to 5'6", wearing a baseball cap and a black hooded sweatshirt with blue stripes. The suspect subsequently threatened her life and demanded the victim's purse. Stolen were credit cards and an undetermined amount of cash. Investigation continuing.
10) MIDTOWN: Battery – 12:58 a.m. MPD patrol units responded to Schwoegler's (444 Grand Canyon Dr) for a disturbance. After stabilizing the scene, the investigation reflected that there were two primary suspects involved, a 32-year-old AF as well as a 34-year-old AAF. A security guard/victim (77-year-old WM) was apparently injured in trying to quell a disturbance. Probable cause was developed for both suspects, who were arrested and booked into jail for battery and disorderly conduct.
11) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 1:00 a.m. MPD responded to take a report of a 22-year-old WF victim who was reportedly sexually assaulted on W Gilman St. The victim was able to fight off the suspect after he had already surprised her from behind and began to grope her. The suspect is described as a WM, 20s, 6'2", brown hair, brown eyes, wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and a gray Calvin Klein jacket. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Aggravated/Substantial Battery – 2:53 a.m. Officers were dispatched to the area of State St and Frances St for a report of six people fighting. Officers arrived and contacted the victim (32-year-old WM) who had a large laceration above his left eye that required stitches. The victim stated he was involved in an altercation in an area bar that continued outside. Two subjects (23-year-old AAM and 32-year-old WM) were seen on video as being involved in the fight but not the main perpetrators of the victim's substantial battery. The two were cited for disorderly conduct. The main suspect remains at large. Investigation continuing.