Unfortunately, stolen autos have been all too frequent in our City. Below are some stats which compare year-to-date to last year's occurrences.
In February 2018 our Department took 27 stolen auto reports; 18 have been recovered. Five (5) suspects have been identified in these various thefts; the suspects range in age from 15 to 31 years old and all are males. Contrasted to February of 2017, there were 24 stolen auto reports. That represents a 12% increase from February, 2017 to February, 2018. On a positive note, there was a 53% decrease in auto thefts from January, 2018 (57) to February, 2018 (27). (This is likely due to the fact that several suspects were arrested and incarcerated.)
What we know:
- Stolen auto incidents have occurred at all times of the day and all days of the week.
- There seems to be a correlation between colder weather and an increase in auto thefts (i.e., cars are left running, unlocked and unattended while being warmed up).
- Of the 27 stolen autos in February, 24 had keys left inside and 14 of them were unlocked and running at the time of the theft.
A closer break-down of stolen autos that occurred in February, 2018 (by district):
- North: 1
- Midtown: 2
- South: 4
- Central: 4
- West: 6
- East: 10
From 5:30 a.m. on 03/12/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 03/13/2018, MPD received 437 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
1) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 5:14 a.m. Officers responded to the 5800 block of Balsam Rd for an unwanted subject (27 year old WM). The subject had been previously warned on two separate occasions to leave and not return. The subject/suspect was contacted for a third time and ultimately arrested for trespassing.
2) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 8:09 a.m. Officers responded to Village Park Drive for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (43 year old WM victim and 35 year old WF suspect). The suspect was intoxicated and attempted to physically assault her boyfriend/victim. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
3) EAST: Death Investigation – 9:07 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (63 year old AAM). There was evidence of drug use on scene. The decedent had multiple health issues. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Traffic Arrest – 12:49 p.m. A MPD officer conducting speed enforcement on the Beltline clocked a vehicle going 103 mph. A traffic stop was conducted. Initially the vehicle came back reported as stolen but this was later amended. When the driver (AAF) was asked why she was driving so fast she said she wanted to check the capabilities of the vehicle. Citation issued.
5) MIDTOWN: Fraud – 3:18 p.m. Officers responded to Mason St where the caller (77 year old WM) reported receiving a voicemail from our local Sheriff's Department about pending legal action against him. Contact was made with the Sheriff's Department and it was determined that the call/voicemail left was fraudulent.
6) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 4:49 p.m. Officers responded to Northport Dr for a subject (22 year old WF) having an overdose. The caller reported administering Naloxone to the subject which was not adequate. Officers arrived and administered an additional dose of Naloxone which was successful. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. The subject did admit to using heroin. The subject was provided a referral to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative.
7) NORTH: Sexual Assault of a Child – 5:34 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital where a 16 year old WF victim reported a sexual assault by another juvenile (16 UM). Investigation continuing.
8) CITY-WIDE: Assist Law Enforcement – 5:44 p.m. MPD was asked by Fitchburg PD to respond to a mutual aid request reference a homicide in their jurisdiction. MPD assisted mainly with perimeter duties.
9) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 9:25 p.m. Officers responded to McKenna Blvd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (24 year old WF victim and 38 year old HM suspect). The victim reported that her intoxicated husband/suspect physically assaulted her. The suspect was arrested for domestic-related charges (disorderly conduct, battery).
10) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 9:42 p.m. Officers responded to Taft St where a subject (33 year old AAM) was present with a significant laceration to his face and hand. The subject did not have any connections to this address/location. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation/treatment. The subject refused to cooperate with officers. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 9:59 p.m. Officers responded to a check welfare call regarding a subject (24 year old WM) who was reportedly not taking his prescribed medications and may be in possession of a newly acquired rifle. Contact was made with Journey Mental Health, the parents of the subject, the probation/parole agent of the subject and a local motel where the subject was last known to be staying at. Officers responded to the motel on East Towne Blvd and were able to take the subject into custody safely on a probation hold. The rifle was determined to be a BB gun which was located and taken into temporary custody for safekeeping.
12) MIDTOWN: Sexual Assault of a Child – 11:50 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital to collect a sexual assault forensic kit from a juvenile/victim (15 year old WF) who did not wish to talk to law enforcement at this time. It was reported that the victim and her grandmother would be contacting the police department at a later date/time. Investigation continuing.
13) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 12:17 a.m. Officers responded to Petra Place for a disturbance that could be heard by neighbors. As officers were en route, the suspect (34 year old WF) called the police herself to report that she had hit her boyfriend/victim (38 year old WM). The suspect was arrested for domestic battery.
14) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 12:36 a.m. Officers responded to Island Dr for a report of sounds of a disturbance. Contact was made with two subjects who both reported being physically hit by the other. The couple's 8 year old son reported hearing his mother yell for help and then observing his father pinning his mother down. The victim (45 year old HF) had observable injuries. The suspect (41 year old HM) was arrested for domestic-related charges (battery, false imprisonment, intimidating a victim).
15) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 1:36 a.m. Officers responded to Kennedy Heights where a sexual assault was reported by a victim (19 year old AAF). The suspect (57 year old AAM) was intoxicated and arrested for 4th degree sexual assault.
16) WEST: Death Investigation – 3:24 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a pulseless non-breathing (PNB) subject. The subject (55 year old WF) was conveyed to a local hospital and pronounced deceased. The decedent has a history of alcoholism/medical issues. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
17) WEST: Check Property – 3:50 a.m. Officers responded to Welton Place where the homeowner reported hearing his door being rattled and observed a subject outside his home. The homeowner advised that the subject (AAM) fled on foot. As officers were responding, a second call came in nearby that a subject was seen in the homeowner's/caller's vehicle and that the suspect fled when this homeowner went outside. Areas checked. No suspect(s) were located. Investigation continuing.