From 5:30 a.m. on 02/10/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 02/11/2018, MPD received 302 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown.
**Guard duty of the fire scene utilized one third detail officer on OT (overtime) to guard until 1:30 a.m. Fifth detail guarded until just before 2 a.m., when MFD finished boarding up the residence. MFD did not want MPD to guard overnight. Fourth detail held over until 4:30 a.m. because of numerous calls for service/arrests – at 3:40 a.m. we had only two 5th detail officers available.**
1) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 8:59 a.m. Officers responded to the 5700 block of Raymond Rd regarding suspicious activity. The complainant indicated they were concerned about possible drug activity. Officers contacted a 20 year old AAM and placed him under arrest reference a probation hold warrant, and transported him to jail.
2) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 10:36 a.m. MFD was called to 9 E Wilson St (Hampton Inn) multiple times during the early hours regarding a pulled fire alarm and discharged extinguisher. A 40 year old WM was contacted because his wallet, cell phone, and clothing were found in the stairwell. The male was identified as the suspect in the false alarm and received a citation. He was booked and released from the jail.
3) MIDTOWN: Residential Burglary – 11:31 a.m. Officers responded to Driftwood Ave regarding a possible burglary. The victim, a 58 year old WM, indicated personal checks were stolen from inside his residence between 02/07/18 and 02/10/18. There was no forced entry and no suspect information. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Non-Residential Burglary – 1:33 p.m. MPD dispatched to the 900 block of Walsh Rd reference a few trailers that were entered. Locks were cut off trailers and they were entered. All owners were contacted and nothing was reported missing at this time. Investigation continuing.
5) CENTRAL: Check Person – 2:16 p.m. MPD was asked to pick up a 23 year old WM subject as he was about to get on a bus to leave town to go be with his grandmother out of state. It appeared that the male subject was released from jail and was given a court date next week to return. Crisis called making this request as they had contact with the subject's roommates regarding his need for mental health treatment. Officers located the subject and took him to a local hospital where he wanted to voluntarily admit himself. Officers removed themselves and later Crisis called back asking for officers to come back to take the subject to Winnebago as Crisis was now supporting an ED because of a lack of room at any local hospital to admit the subject. Eventually the situation resolved itself as a hospital was able to provide a room for the subject.
6) NORTH: Child Abuse Investigation – 3:26 p.m. MPD was dispatched to contact the parents of a 12 year old WM who was slapped by a substitute teacher earlier this week at a local middle school on the North side of Madison. Child Protective Services is plugged in and investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 3:49 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the 200 block of W Gilman St, reference the report of a stolen auto. The reporting party, a 33 year old UM, stated he parked the vehicle early this morning between 2 and 3 a.m. The subject returned this afternoon at 3 p.m. and the vehicle was missing. Tow companies were checked and they do not have the vehicle. An ATL was aired and the vehicle was entered into NCIC.
8) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 4:03 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the 1800 block of Fordem Ave reference a stolen vehicle. The reporting party, a 26 year old WM, stated that he parked his truck in the adjacent parking lot of his apartment complex. The reporting party stated he parked the truck at 9 p.m. last night and noticed it was missing this afternoon at 2 p.m. Tow companies were checked and they do not have the truck. An ATL was aired and the vehicle was entered into NCIC.
9) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 6:53 p.m. MPD was dispatched to Sheffield Rd reference a structure fire with a subject still inside the residence. Officers arrived on scene and the residence was fully involved. One subject, a 61 year old WF, was outside of the residence and there was another subject still inside. MPD and MFD were unable to reach the subject inside and the 64 year old WM subject was confirmed as deceased. MFD Arson Investigation unit was on scene. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Injured Person – 7:06 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the area of Stoughton Rd/Pflaum Rd reference a subject that either fell or was pushed out of a moving vehicle. Officers arrived on scene and contacted the 26 year old WF victim, who stated she was purchasing drugs when the drug dealer attempted to rob her with a knife. The victim exited the moving vehicle to get away from the drug dealer. The victim was transported to a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Investigation continuing.
11) SOUTH: OMVWI Arrest/Intoxicated Driver – 11:10 p.m. MPD was dispatched to a two-car crash at the Beltline Hwy at Rimrock Rd. The suspect driver (27 year old WM) rear-ended a family in a Honda CR-V. Both vehicles were totaled. Upon arrival, the officer determined that the suspect driver was impaired. The suspect was subsequently arrested for OMVWI and two passengers from the Honda CR-V were transported to a local hospital where they were treated and released.
12) SOUTH: Child Neglect Investigation – 1:00 a.m. South officers learned of an arrested person (33 year old WF) that the Dane County Sheriff's Office had arrested on a warrant. The arrested person called a neighbor in her building and asked that she take her son in for the night as she was in jail. Officers and a sergeant went to Ashford Ln and were able to get consent from the arrested person to enter the subject's apartment. Officers located the 7 year old son asleep in bed. CPS notified. Investigation continuing.
13) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 1:08 a.m. West officers were called to the 2300 block of McKenna Blvd for a female threatening others with a knife. Officers learned that the suspect (44 year old HF) and her boyfriend (37 year old HM) were involved in a domestic disturbance. Officers arrested the female suspect for domestic disorderly conduct while armed. The female suspect was taken to jail. While en route to the jail, data returned information that there was a valid restraining order in effect for the boyfriend. Officers were then tasked with seeking to find the boyfriend for violating the court order. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Conveyance Alcohol (Detox) – 1:43 a.m. Central officers were sent to the Lucky Building (777 University Ave) for a female threatening to jump off the balcony. Officers learned that the 20 year old WF subject came home impaired and upset over the recent loss of a friend. The subject had expressed a desire to jump off the balcony to be with her now deceased friend. The subject was taken into protective custody and transported to Detox. Journey Mental Health was plugged in and will do an assessment upon release from Detox.
15) EAST: Juvenile Arrest – 1:44 a.m. East officers were sent to a report of a stolen auto on Littlemore Dr. The vehicle description was given to officers while they were en route. An officer heading into the area found the stolen auto. The stolen auto fled the scene and officers did not engage in a pursuit. Officers subsequently located the stolen auto and found four juveniles bailing out of the car. One juvenile (15 year old AAM) was arrested. Investigation continuing.