Tag: Community Resources
February 23, 2016 3:43 PM
The Madison Police Department has long enjoyed a reputation as a national leader in progressive policing with an emphasis on problem solving and community engagement. Nowhere is this more pronounced than in the vibrant relationship building that is taking place in a number of neighborhoods … [read more]
February 19, 2016 9:10 AM
A little over a year ago, I announced the start of a “pilot” program with the creation of two new units of detectives in 2015 – one for violent crimes (VCU) and one for burglary crimes (BCU). I chose to focus on violent crimes and burglaries in light of their increased frequency and because … [read more]
November 19, 2015 3:07 PM
Like many of you, I often head off to work in the morning taking the dreaded Beltline (if ever there was a more compelling reason to take the bus, this is prima facie proof)! Since I am typically in the office downtown between 6:30-7:00 a.m., traffic flow is not at gridlock (yet) and I … [read more]
October 20, 2015 3:29 PM
Issues of racial disparity in Dane County have been well-chronicled. Whether the context be education, economics or the criminal justice system, the sad fact remains that people of color are starkly impacted. In the near future, an ad hoc committee convened by the City will … [read more]
October 6, 2015 2:05 PM
The Madison Police Department is pleased to announce it has received a $156,000 federal criminal justice innovation grant to help overcome social divisions, improve trust between police and residents, and reduce crime within Southwest Madison. U.S. Department of Justice funding will enable … [read more]
September 4, 2015 9:22 AM
Have a cell phone you want to sell? How about a coffee table? These days it is very common to post items for sale on-line. We have all heard about scams that have taken place when it comes to selling/buying an item. While it is true that the majority of “transactions” are … [read more]
September 1, 2015 3:20 PM
At the outset of my remarks, I want to express my empathy for the rigorous challenges facing the Mayor and Common Council as they begin the painful process of budgeting for the City’s needs in 2016 and beyond. I have taken the time to listen to the Mayor and his Chief Financial Officer as … [read more]
August 17, 2015 8:49 AM
Community Partnership exists as one of the Core Values of the Madison Police Department. For many years we were incredibly fortunate to partner with Dr. Darren Bean. Under his direction, the MPD became one of the first police agencies in the country to implement ‘Cardio Cerebral … [read more]
June 11, 2015 10:01 AM
In order for us to achieve our goals of being a trusted, “guardian-based” agency committed to providing qualitative services which are accessible to everyone and administered in a way that constituents feel valued and respected, the foundation for this rests with our ability to recruit and train … [read more]
February 24, 2015 11:30 AM
This week, MPD will be adding a new component to investigations of domestic violence. Officers have been trained to complete a domestic violence danger assessment questionnaire which will be directed toward victims. The assessment consists of 15 questions. Research indicates … [read more]
January 26, 2015 11:38 AM
On May 2nd, 2014, my third day as Chief for the City of Madison, I was finishing up on some work at my beloved training office when I heard the alert tone sound from my desktop scanner. As cops, we have all experienced that anxious moment wondering if it will be a call assigned to me and … [read more]
September 3, 2014 11:21 AM
Each day, emails are sent out to our Department by the Officer-in-Charge giving a summary of the calls that occurred throughout Madison on each shift. Unfortunately, it has become rare that we don’t read about a heroin overdose or death on a regular basis. Heroin addiction is plaguing our … [read more]
July 21, 2014 1:00 PM
An incredibly informative conference and expo is scheduled to take place in Madison in September that our Department wants you to know about! The 2014 Dane County/Wisconsin State Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Conference and Expo is taking place on Friday, September 19, 2014 from 8am-4pm … [read more]
June 13, 2014 3:04 PM
On June 4th, a longstanding community partner, Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin (Youth Services/YSOSW), hosted an open house showcasing their newly built facility at 2720 Rimrock Rd. As part of the event, there was a presentation during which Attic Angels donated $125,000 in support of … [read more]
Subscribe to Email List
Posts By Month
Posts By Category
- Community Partnerships
- Crime Statistics
- "Shots Fired" Task Force
- 2014 Rhythm and Booms
- 2015 Citizen's Academy
- A Discussion about MPD's Deadly Forc...
- A Message from Chief Koval about the...
- Activities of Off-Duty Officers
- An Overview of MPD's Latest Initiati...
- Announcing MPD's 57th Graduating Class
- Apply to be a Madison Police Officer...
- Apply to MPD's Citizen Academy
- Assistant Chief Gaber's Visit to the...
- Awaiting a Decision from the Distric...
- Bryan Stevenson Visits MPD's Academy
- Chief Koval's Community Forums
- Chief Koval's Mailbag on a variety o...
- Chief Koval's Reflections - Protests...
- Chief Koval's Response to DA's Decision
- Community Forums with Chief Koval
- Community Outreach Spotlight: Amigo...
- Community Policing for All
- Dane County/MPD Community Restorativ...
- Final Blog from Randy Gaber as Inter...
- Freakfest 2014
- Freakfest 2015
- Friday Nights at the Y - Join us for...
- Gangs in Madison and Why Kids Join G...
- Happy New Year!
- Heroin Epidemic
- Hispanic Heritage Month September 15...
- Holiday Safety Tips
- Hope for the Future Based on Candida...
- How to Safely Sell Items On-line, Ho...
- Immigration Reform is about Communit...
- It's the Small Things that Matter
- Juneteenth Day Celebration - Saturda...
- Law Enforcement Torch Run for Specia...
- Love (or at least get to know) Thy N...
- Madison Police Continue to "Give Back"
- Madison Police Department and CampHERO
- Madison Police Department Announces ...
- Madison Police Department Annual Hos...
- Madison Police Department Annual Shi...
- Madison Police Department Appreciate...
- Madison Police Department Armored Re...
- Madison Police Department Citizen Ac...
- Madison Police Department K9 Unit
- Madison Police Department Management...
- Madison Police Department Mounted Pa...
- Madison Police Department Open Recor...
- Madison Police Department Recognized...
- Madison Police Department Recruit Cl...
- Madison Police Department Supporting...
- Madison Police Department's Mental H...
- Madison Police Department's Pawn Pro...
- Madison Should Take Pride in its Police
- March - National Women's History Month
- March - National Women's History Month
- Marijuana Legalization: Chief Koval'...
- Mental Health Officer Team Marks One...
- Message to our Community from Chief ...
- Midtown Is Off the Grid?!?!
- Midtown Station - Status and Updates
- MPD and Local Agencies to Host Youth...
- MPD Announcing Two New Detective Uni...
- MPD Launches Innovative New Website
- MPD Partners with Community Agencies...
- MPD Proud to Receive U.S. Department...
- MPD Shout Out to YWCA's Racial Justi...
- MPD's 2014 Pre-Service Academy
- MPD's Best Strategy in Fostering Trust
- MPD's Efforts to Reduce and Eliminat...
- MPD's Explorer Program
- MPD's K9 Unit
- MPD's Latino and Black Youth Academies
- MPD's Mounted Patrol
- MPD's New Hiring Resource Group
- MPD's Pilot Program - Unpaid Ticket ...
- MPD's Recruits Hit the Streets in Fi...
- MPD's Response to President Obama's ...
- MPD's Staffing Needs at 250,000 and ...
- MPDs Use of New Domestic Violence Re...
- MPD's Youth and Black Youth Academies
- National Cyber Security Month
- National Night Out - Madison Police ...
- National Night Out - Tuesday, August...
- Neighborhood Resource Officers Hit T...
- Observations from Chief Koval - Reco...
- On My Wish List? No More Mifflin!
- One Family's Personal Journey Dealin...
- Overview of the 2014 Spring Student ...
- Overview of the Multi-Dimensional Co...
- Police Grants Save Taxypayer Money
- Police Rifles: Why We Carry What We Do
- Policing the MPD Way - Police Like a...
- Process, Explanation and Response to...
- Questions Directed to the Chief
- Remembering Trooper Trevor Casper an...
- Response to an Open Letter
- Safe Communities Madison-Dane County
- Safety Tips and Winter Driving Tips
- Saving Lives
- Shop with a Cop 2013
- Staying True to One's Values
- Thank you Chief Wray
- The "Madison Method"
- The Impact and Success of the Specia...
- Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Co...
- Violent Crimes Unit and Burglary Cri...
- Why does it take so long to get a Po...
- Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin