Today we are going to take a closer look at shots fired incidents occurring throughout our City.
Through March 11, 2018, our City has experienced 35 shots fired incidents. We have identified 12 incidents, out of the 35, where property was damaged. There were also 3 subjects who were struck by gunfire.
For the same timeframe in 2017 (through March 11, 2017) there were 32 shots fired incidents. Comparing 2017 to 2018, we have seen a 9.8% increase in shots fired incidents this year.
For the week of 3/4/2018 to 3/11/2018 there were 3 total shots fired incidents reported.
What we know:
- 46% of the shots fired incidents reported involved a subject and/or property being struck
- There was one incident of an accidental discharge.
- There were four incidents that were self-inflicted (intentional).
From 5:30 a.m. on 03/13/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 03/14/2018, MPD received 444 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
1) WEST: Weapons Offense – 7:48 a.m. Officers responded to McKenna Blvd for a woman with a knife and a woman with a gun. The investigation revealed that the women got into an argument over a parking issue. One of the subject's physically assaulted the other subject who then retrieved a knife and punctured the tires of the first subject's vehicle. No gun was located or observed by witnesses. Both subjects/suspects (27 and 33 year old AAFs) were arrested. The 33 year old was arrested for disorderly conduct while armed and criminal damage to property. The 27 year old was arrested for battery.
2) MIDTOWN: Disorderly Conduct – 8:25 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital for a subject (37 year old AAM) causing a disturbance. Officers, along with Journey Mental Health staff, ER staff and probation/parole staff met with the subject prior to being conveyed to jail for a disorderly conduct charge.
3) NORTH: Juvenile Arrest – 10:13 a.m. Officers responded to a school on N. Sherman Ave for a juvenile (14 year old AAM) causing a disturbance. Officers made contact with the juvenile who refused to cooperate/calm down. The juvenile was detained and conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center for a disorderly conduct charge.
4) NORTH: Disturbance – 4:26 p.m. Officers responded to the 2500 block of Monterey Drive for 6 women fighting. It was reported that one had a baseball bat and another subject was armed with a sock that contained something inside of it. The females all fled prior to the arrival of the officers. Area checked. A couple of vehicles were contacted in the area. No charges were developed.
5) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 6:25 p.m. Officers responded to a retail theft at Woodman's on S. Gammon Rd. The suspect fled and ran to a vehicle that was occupied by three other subjects (all were subsequently determined to be suspects). The first suspect, who committed the retail theft, was a 20 year old AAM and he was arrested for retail theft and resisting. The vehicle that the suspects were occupying was found to be stolen. The three other suspects (14 year old AAF, 16 year old AAF and 17 year old AAM) were all charged with operating a motor vehicle without consent (OMVWOC).
6) EAST: Drug Incident Overdose – 10:31 p.m. Officers responded to Pflaum Rd for a subject (22 year old WF) having an overdose. EMS administered Naloxone which revived the subject. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. She admitted to using heroin. The subject was provided a referral to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative.
7) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 11:09 p.m. Officers responded to a motel on East Towne Blvd for a stolen auto that was left running, unlocked and unoccupied. At approximately 12:27 a.m. the stolen vehicle was observed being driven by a sole occupant. A traffic stop was initiated. The driver/suspect (34 year old WM) was arrested for operating a stolen vehicle without consent (OMVWOC) and a parole hold.
8) EAST: Disturbance – 3:32 a.m. Officers responded to Burke Rd where two subjects (two 71 year old WMs) reported being hit by one another. No injuries were observed. Both subjects were separated. Appeared to be a situation of mutual combat. No charges were substantiated at this time.