The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/17/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/18/2018, MPD received 343 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 343 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (69), East (91), Midtown (44), North (43), South (29), West (45), and Other (22). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 8:15 am. A victim (24-year-old WM) reported that his vehicle was stolen between midnight and 7:30 am outside of his residence in the 100 block of E Mifflin St. The vehicle was parked on the street and was unlocked with the keys inside. An ATL was aired and appropriate data entries made. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Crash – 9:15 am. A vehicle was travelling on West Towne Way when it turned left in front of a Madison Metro bus which was going straight in the opposite direction. The vehicles collided. Two bus passengers complained of minor injuries, which were checked by MFD and did not require hospital transport. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Crash – 10:49 am. A 33-year-old UF was driving westbound on Melody Ln, looking at her phone. When she realized she was leaving her lane, she overcorrected and hit a tree, causing her car to roll over. The driver/suspect suffered minor injuries, but there were no injuries to her husband and daughter, who were passengers. The suspect was cited for inattentive driving. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Mental Health Conveyance - 12:01 pm. Officers responded to the hospital for a subject (40-year-old WM) displaying erratic behavior. The subject struck a security guard in the face and made suicidal statements. Officers arrived and successfully detained the subject, who was placed under an emergency detention petition and transported to Winnebago Mental Health Institute.
5) EAST: Domestic Disturbance - 12:27 pm. Officers contacted a victim (29-year-old WF) on Vernon Ave who was battered by a suspect (27-year-old WM). The suspect also threatened to kill the victim and kill himself. Officers arrested the suspect for domestic battery and disorderly conduct and conveyed him to jail. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person - 2:16 pm. Officers responded to the Beacon at 615 E Washington Ave where a suspect (65-year-old WM) battered another Beacon patron (51-year-old WM). The suspect was arrested for battery and several outstanding warrants, and was conveyed to the DCJ. Investigation continuing.
7) WEST: Mental Health Conveyance - 2:22 pm. Officers responded to a residence on the west side for a subject (17-year-old WM) who was threatening his parents and trying to physically fight. The subject was placed under an emergency detention petition and was conveyed to WMHI.
8) EAST: Crash - 3:16 pm. The suspect vehicle was traveling northbound on Hwy 51 and ran a red signal at Highway 30. The suspect vehicle struck the victim vehicle which was turning east onto Highway 30 from southbound 51. A witness who was stopped at the red light confirmed the signal was red. The driver (61-year-old WM) of the victim vehicle and his passenger (65-year-old WF) sustained minor injuries and were transported to a local hospital. The suspect was cited for a red signal violation and operating a motor vehicle without insurance. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Drug Overdose - 4:03 pm. MFD and MPD were called to Vernon Ave for a suspect (29-year-old WF) who had overdosed. MFD administered naloxone and successfully revived the suspect who was transported to the hospital. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person - 4:55 pm. An intoxicated suspect (23-year-old AAM) was locked out of his apartment in the 500 block of State St. The suspect pulled a fire alarm and MFD and MPD responded. The suspect was arrested and taken to the DCJ. Investigation continuing.
11) MIDTOWN: Intoxicated Subject/Conveyance - 7:21 pm. EMS transported to the hospital an intoxicated subject (33-year-old WM) who had complained of head pain. The subject left the hospital and officers located him on S Park St. During contact with officers, the subject walked into traffic. He was then placed into protective custody and taken to Detox.
12) MIDTOWN: Substantial Battery – 8:58 pm. Dispatch received a call from a subject (48-year-old FW) who stated someone had beat up her boyfriend (58-year-old WM). The victim was transported to the hospital with a fractured eye socket and a laceration on his forehead that needed stiches. The victim was highly intoxicated and could not provide a detailed statement. Officers made contact on Britta Dr with a neighbor/suspect (48-year-old WM) who stated he and the victim had been drinking together earlier in the day. Evidence at the suspect's apartment pointed to a possible disturbance. No probable cause has been developed at this time. Investigation continuing.
13) CENTRAL: Theft – 10:02 pm. Officers responded to the Brass Ring at 701 E Washington Ave for a report of a suspect (57-year-old WM) eating food off a recently vacated table. After being asked to leave by wait staff, the suspect took the tip money left on the table and began to walk out. The suspect was apprehended by officers and was taken to the DCJ. Investigation continuing.
14) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense/Domestic Disturbance – 11:54 pm. Officers contacted a suspect (36-year-old AAM) who walked into a local hospital with a stab wound to his left shoulder. Officers determined the incident happened at an apartment in the 200 block of S Park St and made contact with a victim (22-year-old AAF) who stated the suspect battered and strangled her during a domestic altercation. The suspect remains at the hospital. Probable cause was developed for domestic strangulation, domestic battery and domestic disorderly conduct while armed. Investigation continuing. An incident report was completed on MPD's website.
15) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 1:36 am. Officers responded to a fight in progress outside of the Merchant bar at 121 S Pinckney St. Upon arrival officers determine a highly intoxicated suspect (25-year-old WM) attempted to get into the occupied front seat of a vehicle. A second suspect (29-year-old NAM) pulled the driver's hair. The intoxicated suspect was cited and conveyed to detox, while the second suspect received a citation. Investigation continuing.