The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 12/14/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 12/15/2018, MPD received 509 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 509 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (83), East (112), Midtown (77), North (69), South (53), West (70), and Other (45). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) EAST: Death Investigation – 8:19 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a pulseless non-breathing subject (47-year-old WM). The subject was pronounced deceased at the scene. Indication/evidence of drug use present. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Injured Person – 10:00 a.m. Officers responded to a residence in the 6400 block of Pilgrim Road following a 911 call. Officers located a resident (WF) in the garage who had sustained non-life threatening injuries. The resident was conveyed to a local hospital. Incident report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 11:20 a.m. Officers responded to a nursing home residence for a report of deceased subject (87-year-old WF). The decedent had serious medical concerns. Nothing suspicious observed on scene.
4) WEST: Assist MFD – 3:51 pm. Officers were sent along with MFD to the 5900 block of Meadowood Dr for a reported structure fire with callers stating flames were visible from the second floor window with the fire spreading to other areas of the building. MPD assisted with perimeter scene management and traffic control. MFD fire investigator responded.
5) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 11:08 pm. Officers responded to a residential neighborhood on the east side for a report of a physical altercation. The victim (41-year-old AAF) reported her boyfriend/suspect (41-year-old AAM) threatened to beat her up and kill her and then strangled her. The suspect was taken to the DCJ and charged with domestic DC, battery, and strangulation, as well as threats to LE after he said he would shoot one of the officers once he got out of jail. Investigation continuing.
6) WEST: Burglary Residential – 12:53 am. Officers were dispatched to a burglary with two cars stolen from a driveway on Brule St. The suspects entered one of the vehicles and used a garage door opener to access the garage and the residence, where they found the keys to both cars. One of the vehicles was last seen on Badger Road. Investigation continuing.
7) MIDTOWN: Disturbance – 3:07 am. Officers responded to the 2400 block of Allied Dr after 911 received a call with sounds of a disturbance in the background. While officers made contact at the residence, a fight broke out. Once the scene was stabilized, officers determined three suspects (37-year-old AAF, 27-year-old AAF and 25-year-old AAF) had engaged in an altercation earlier and the argument flared up again upon officers' arrival. The suspects were cited for disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Burglary Non-Residential – 4:15 am. A caller stated that someone had broken into the office at an apartment complex in the 2200 block of W Broadway and they saw 4 potential suspects leaving (one female and 3 males). All were described as African American and in their early 20's. Officers responded to the scene and took photographs and secured the office door. Suspects are at large. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Weapons Offense – 4:18 am. Several 911 callers reported hearing one gunshot, people yelling, and several cars peeling away in the 300 block of Swanton Rd. Officers responded to the area but did not locate any casings or property damage. During a canvass, officers located several people who heard the shot but did not observe anything. Investigation continuing.
10) SOUTH: Strong Arm Robbery – 4:47 am. A Green Cab driver at the intersection of Frazier Ave and W Broadway flagged down an officer and reported being robbed by three black males wearing masks. A gun was implied but not observed. Suspects are at large. Investigation continuing.
11) MIDTOWN: Assist MFD – 4:58 am. Officers responded to the 4300 block of Britta Dr for a report of a fully engulfed car fire. MFD has the lead. MPD assisted in a traffic control capacity.
12) MIDTOWN: Information/Suspicious Vehicle - 5:02 am. Officers responded to the area of Whitcomb Dr and Loruth Ter where a victim/complainant (36-year-old WF) reported she was followed while walking. The victim reported observing as a vehicle parked and an individual exited and quickly advanced in the victim's direction. The victim ran to safety at her mother's home and called police. A canvass of the area did not yield any positive results at this time. Investigation continuing.