November stats continued – Shots Fired
There were 10 reports of shots fired in November (2018). This is a 54% decrease from November (2017) when we had 22 reports of shots fired.
Through the end of November, year-to-date, our community has experienced 172 reports of shots fired. For the same timeframe in 2017 we had 206; thus we have seen a 16.5% decrease this year.
Where did the shots fired calls come from in November, per district?
- North: 4
- South: 2
- East: 2
- West: 2
- Central: 0
- Midtown: 0
Additional information we know from November's calls of shots fired –
- 4 properties were damaged (61 year-to-date)
- 4 subjects were struck by gunfire (27 year-to-date); all involved parties have been identified
- 21 casings were recovered (503 year-to-date)
The provided stats are based upon the best data available at the time of publication.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 12/09/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 12/10/2018, MPD received 336 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 336 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (66), East (63), Midtown (42), North (57), South (23), West (51), and Other (34). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls started at 1:54am on Sunday morning (December 9th) and continued until 10am; due to calls for service.
1) EAST: Death Investigation – 6:20 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (29-year-old WM). Initial indicator of death is that the subject experienced an overdose. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Drug Incident/Overdose – 7:44 a.m. Officers, along with MFD/EMS, responded to W. Wilson St for a subject (24-year-old WF) in respiratory distress. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. Information from the scene indicated that the subject had an accidental overdose from alcohol and pills (which were obtained illegally). Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 4:34 p.m. Officers located a wanted suspect (21-year-old AAM) on Raymond Rd. The suspect was arrested on outstanding warrants and conveyed to jail.
4) NORTH: Information/Armed Robbery – 5:51 p.m. Officers met with a victim (41-year-old HM) who admitted to using drugs at an unknown apartment on Calypso Rd when an armed suspect (AAM) robbed him of his car keys. The victim stated the suspect also made him to go with him to a local Walmart to sell the victim's cell phone and provide the suspect with the proceeds. No injuries reported. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Assist MFD/EMS – 6:11 p.m. Officers, along with MFD/EMS, responded to a west side residence reference an unconscious subject (60-year-old WM). MFD provided CCR to the subject and conveyed him to a hospital. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
6) WEST: Retail Theft – 8:04 p.m. A traffic stop was conducted reference two wanted suspects (2 AAF's, age 26). Both suspects were taken into custody and conveyed to jail for theft (2 counts each). One of the suspects was also cited for possession of marijuana.
7) CITY-WIDE: Traffic Arrest – 9:57 p.m. A traffic stop was conducted at Fairchild/Doty. A K9 alerted on the vehicle and marijuana was recovered from the vehicle. The suspect (33-year-old WM) was cited for possession of marijuana and released from the scene.
8) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 11:31 p.m. Officers responded to Rethke Ave for a disturbance. Officers made contact with a subject (later identified to be the suspect) who stated that someone stole his beer and punched him. Video surveillance was checked and the actual victim (60-year-old AAM) was identified and located. The suspect (57-year-old AAM) punched and choked the victim. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct, bail jumping and an outstanding warrant. Investigation continuing.