Tag: Chief Koval
November 19, 2015 3:07 PM
Like many of you, I often head off to work in the morning taking the dreaded Beltline (if ever there was a more compelling reason to take the bus, this is prima facie proof)! Since I am typically in the office downtown between 6:30-7:00 a.m., traffic flow is not at gridlock (yet) and I … [read more]
November 12, 2015 3:02 PM
I have just concluded another round of citywide community forums. By going to all of the various Districts and bringing the host command staff with me to address concerns unique and specific to that District, we have continued our commitment for face-to-face engagement. The only … [read more]
October 27, 2015 2:30 PM
MPD was honored to host Bryan Stevenson who spoke to our recruit class on Monday, October 26. Stevenson is a New York Times Bestselling author of Just Mercy, a book which also won the Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Nonfiction. Stevenson was in Madison to accept the … [read more]
October 20, 2015 3:29 PM
Issues of racial disparity in Dane County have been well-chronicled. Whether the context be education, economics or the criminal justice system, the sad fact remains that people of color are starkly impacted. In the near future, an ad hoc committee convened by the City will … [read more]
September 24, 2015 3:29 PM
Since my last blog on the subject of Midtown, I have been heartened by the incredible outpouring of support that we have received for this important public safety initiative. Not only will Midtown provide greater balance to our service distribution needs, the quality of those services … [read more]
July 20, 2015 8:44 AM
In an attempt to promote domestic tranquility on the home front, I took a few days “off” the week of 7/5/15. My wife of 31 years is crazy about their family’s cottage in the north woods and I agreed to take a brief sojourn predicated on a few terms: I would relent to her desire to … [read more]
July 13, 2015 9:32 AM
During my first year in office, several new initiatives were launched in an effort to keep our MPD on the cutting edge of service delivery. To that end, affirmative steps have been taken including: 1. Expanding our reach into more neighborhoods with the creation of five … [read more]
June 29, 2015 3:32 PM
Hard to believe that we are already coming up on the Fourth of July! As my wife is a teacher, I always like to use this date as a signal that her summer vacation is half over---and you can just imagine how well this is received! (I’m bracing myself for the pushback from teachers throughout … [read more]
June 22, 2015 1:18 PM
On Friday, June the 26th, fourteen probationary police officers will graduate from our Department’s Pre-Service Academy. This will be the 57th Graduating Class from the Madison Police Department. The Madison Police Department is a progressive, diverse agency committed to the … [read more]
June 17, 2015 2:02 PM
This Saturday, June 20th, local community leaders from "Kujichagulia" and the Madison Center for Self Determination have once again organized a "Juneteenth Day" celebration. There is actually a number of different events taking place around Juneteenth Day, but two of the main features of … [read more]
June 11, 2015 10:01 AM
In order for us to achieve our goals of being a trusted, “guardian-based” agency committed to providing qualitative services which are accessible to everyone and administered in a way that constituents feel valued and respected, the foundation for this rests with our ability to recruit and train … [read more]
May 27, 2015 3:25 PM
A few months ago, I was approached by the President/CEO of the YMCA of Dane County, Carrie Wall, to discuss ways in which we might partner with them to create unique opportunities to connect with youth in our community and to help facilitate a safe space for our youth to engage through structured … [read more]
May 22, 2015 1:07 PM
UPDATE: See the attached video for the press conference held on 5/22/15 regarding this matter As I draft this blog, a coordinated response of MPD command staff, specialized units (including Violent Crime, Burglary, Gang, Special Investigations, Dane County Narcotics Task Force, … [read more]
May 12, 2015 4:02 PM
The verdict is in on the Tony Robinson case. After applying the law to the unique facts of this incident, District Attorney Ozanne has determined that MPD Officer Matt Kenny will not be charged criminally. In the aftermath of this decision, our City finds itself at a crossroad. How … [read more]
April 28, 2015 12:53 PM
Recently, I was at a meeting where a citizen made an inquiry about MPD’s deadly force policy. Specifically, the question posed was something on the order of “When does your policy of shoot-to-kill take effect?” It caught me off guard as I have been here since 1983 and the use of this … [read more]
April 16, 2015 8:21 AM
The Capital Times recently printed an opinion piece from Amelia Royko Maurer and Greg Gelembuik that excoriated this Department's response to multiple public records requests concerning the shooting death of Tony Robinson. The City Attorney's Office, along with our Department, felt it was … [read more]
April 13, 2015 8:28 AM
Like many of you, this past week I watched in utter disbelief and horror as we again witnessed instances of police misbehavior captured for all of the world to see. This time, the venues were South Carolina and California. And while none of us is privy to all of the facts at this … [read more]
April 6, 2015 3:13 PM
Last Friday (4/3/15), MPD responded to a deluge of open records requests by placing them on our web site for public examination. Prior to release, we worked with the City Attorney’s Office to ensure that every attempt was made to be in compliance with the law on open records and to foster … [read more]
March 16, 2015 11:15 AM
In reflecting on the events following the death of Tony Robinson, my eyes absently wander to the TV in my home reporting on yet another CNN update from Ferguson. While watching, I cannot refrain from reciting a quick prayer of thanksgiving; though we share a common past with Ferguson, I believe … [read more]
March 9, 2015 11:27 AM
Sir Robert Peel, arguably one of those who first articulated the necessity of having “police” in our midst, created a number of fundamental principles by which police should view their mission. Peel lived and made these observations in the mid-1800’s. Surprisingly, despite the passage of … [read more]
March 2, 2015 9:01 AM
This week's submission on "Why kids join gangs" has been authored by Sergeant Brian Chaney, who directs the activities of our gang unit. Sgt. Chaney offers a general primer of potential signs or "flags" that MAY be indicative of a youth who is straying. While it is by no means a … [read more]
February 2, 2015 10:50 AM
From time to time, I will dedicate blogs to issues that are trending to the MPD website or my office. This week’s topics touch upon questions I have received relative to protesters stopping traffic, the recent Council resolution to study body worn cameras in 2015, and the federal … [read more]
January 28, 2015 8:39 AM
Chief Koval will be holding public forums in the communities again. Below are the details of each forum. These community forums are an opportunity for you, the public, to meet with the Chief and discuss questions or concerns that you may have. We hope to see you … [read more]
January 26, 2015 11:38 AM
On May 2nd, 2014, my third day as Chief for the City of Madison, I was finishing up on some work at my beloved training office when I heard the alert tone sound from my desktop scanner. As cops, we have all experienced that anxious moment wondering if it will be a call assigned to me and … [read more]
January 20, 2015 11:14 AM
When I took the oath of office as chief on April 30, 2014, I was blessed to be chosen to lead a workforce teeming with talent and a proud tradition of providing qualitative services. But no person or agency should fall prey to resting on past laurels; a commitment to continuous improvement is … [read more]
January 12, 2015 11:33 AM
On January 9, 2015, the group known as the Young, Gifted, and Black Coalition sent an "Open Letter to Police Chief Koval" and recipients including Mayor Paul Soglin and City of Madison Alders. While there were many concerns and "demands" that were directed to me, one paragraph stood out … [read more]
December 16, 2014 1:02 PM
As our nation struggles with looking to improve measures taken to provide for greater transparency, accountability, and sensitivity of our police toward the citizens we are sworn to protect and serve, I have been asked what steps are being taken by MPD. While there is no one-size-fits-all … [read more]
October 14, 2014 8:44 AM
With respect to the recently published article about my personal opinion(s) regarding marijuana, context is important. Since the article was published I have received quite a bit of feedback and numerous inquiries about what was written. I believe further information on where I am coming … [read more]
October 8, 2014 9:31 AM
In a recent opinion commentary submitted by a guest in a local newspaper, a number of issues are raised (related to whether police need AR15’s) that compel me to provide our community with a different perspective. A perspective that is coming from a career police officer of over 30 years; and … [read more]
September 19, 2014 8:46 AM
Each year, the United States honors the contributions that Latinos have made to the nation with a Hispanic Heritage Month celebration that runs from September 15 through October 15. This period is a time to celebrate the heritage and culture of our Hispanic and Latino Community. The … [read more]
August 19, 2014 2:40 PM
In an attempt to stay engaged with constituent questions and concerns, a number of community forums have been scheduled for the month of September. These sessions are an opportunity to provide me with direct feedback and there will also be a representative from the hosting District should you … [read more]
Subscribe to Email List
Posts By Month
Posts By Category
- Community Partnerships
- Crime Statistics
- "Shots Fired" Task Force
- 2014 Rhythm and Booms
- 2015 Citizen's Academy
- A Discussion about MPD's Deadly Forc...
- A Message from Chief Koval about the...
- Activities of Off-Duty Officers
- An Overview of MPD's Latest Initiati...
- Announcing MPD's 57th Graduating Class
- Apply to be a Madison Police Officer...
- Assistant Chief Gaber's Visit to the...
- Awaiting a Decision from the Distric...
- Bryan Stevenson Visits MPD's Academy
- Chief Koval's Community Forums
- Chief Koval's Mailbag on a variety o...
- Chief Koval's Reflections - Protests...
- Chief Koval's Response to DA's Decision
- Community Forums with Chief Koval
- Community Outreach Spotlight: Amigo...
- Community Policing for All
- Dane County/MPD Community Restorativ...
- Final Blog from Randy Gaber as Inter...
- Freakfest 2014
- Freakfest 2015
- Friday Nights at the Y - Join us for...
- Gangs in Madison and Why Kids Join G...
- Happy New Year!
- Heroin Epidemic
- Hispanic Heritage Month September 15...
- Holiday Safety Tips
- How to Safely Sell Items On-line, Ho...
- Immigration Reform is about Communit...
- It's the Small Things that Matter
- Juneteenth Day Celebration - Saturda...
- Law Enforcement Torch Run for Specia...
- Madison Police Continue to "Give Back"
- Madison Police Department and CampHERO
- Madison Police Department Announces ...
- Madison Police Department Annual Hos...
- Madison Police Department Annual Shi...
- Madison Police Department Appreciate...
- Madison Police Department Armored Re...
- Madison Police Department Citizen Ac...
- Madison Police Department K9 Unit
- Madison Police Department Management...
- Madison Police Department Mounted Pa...
- Madison Police Department Open Recor...
- Madison Police Department Recognized...
- Madison Police Department Recruit Cl...
- Madison Police Department Supporting...
- Madison Police Department's Mental H...
- Madison Police Department's Pawn Pro...
- Madison Should Take Pride in its Police
- March - National Women's History Month
- March - National Women's History Month
- Marijuana Legalization: Chief Koval'...
- Message to our Community from Chief ...
- Midtown Is Off the Grid?!?!
- Midtown Station - Status and Updates
- MPD and Local Agencies to Host Youth...
- MPD Announcing Two New Detective Uni...
- MPD Launches Innovative New Website
- MPD Partners with Community Agencies...
- MPD Proud to Receive U.S. Department...
- MPD Shout Out to YWCA's Racial Justi...
- MPD's 2014 Pre-Service Academy
- MPD's Best Strategy in Fostering Trust
- MPD's Efforts to Reduce and Eliminat...
- MPD's Explorer Program
- MPD's K9 Unit
- MPD's Latino and Black Youth Academies
- MPD's Mounted Patrol
- MPD's New Hiring Resource Group
- MPD's Staffing Needs at 250,000 and ...
- MPDs Use of New Domestic Violence Re...
- MPD's Youth and Black Youth Academies
- National Cyber Security Month
- National Night Out - Madison Police ...
- National Night Out - Tuesday, August...
- Observations from Chief Koval - Reco...
- Overview of the 2014 Spring Student ...
- Overview of the Multi-Dimensional Co...
- Police Grants Save Taxypayer Money
- Police Rifles: Why We Carry What We Do
- Process, Explanation and Response to...
- Remembering Trooper Trevor Casper an...
- Response to an Open Letter
- Safe Communities Madison-Dane County
- Safety Tips and Winter Driving Tips
- Saving Lives
- Shop with a Cop 2013
- Thank you Chief Wray
- The "Madison Method"
- The Impact and Success of the Specia...
- Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Co...
- Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin