Tag: Chief Koval
March 16, 2015 11:15 AM
In reflecting on the events following the death of Tony Robinson, my eyes absently wander to the TV in my home reporting on yet another CNN update from Ferguson. While watching, I cannot refrain from reciting a quick prayer of thanksgiving; though we share a common past with Ferguson, I believe … [read more]
March 9, 2015 11:27 AM
Sir Robert Peel, arguably one of those who first articulated the necessity of having “police” in our midst, created a number of fundamental principles by which police should view their mission. Peel lived and made these observations in the mid-1800’s. Surprisingly, despite the passage of … [read more]
March 2, 2015 9:01 AM
This week's submission on "Why kids join gangs" has been authored by Sergeant Brian Chaney, who directs the activities of our gang unit. Sgt. Chaney offers a general primer of potential signs or "flags" that MAY be indicative of a youth who is straying. While it is by no means a … [read more]
February 2, 2015 10:50 AM
From time to time, I will dedicate blogs to issues that are trending to the MPD website or my office. This week’s topics touch upon questions I have received relative to protesters stopping traffic, the recent Council resolution to study body worn cameras in 2015, and the federal … [read more]
January 28, 2015 8:39 AM
Chief Koval will be holding public forums in the communities again. Below are the details of each forum. These community forums are an opportunity for you, the public, to meet with the Chief and discuss questions or concerns that you may have. We hope to see you … [read more]
January 26, 2015 11:38 AM
On May 2nd, 2014, my third day as Chief for the City of Madison, I was finishing up on some work at my beloved training office when I heard the alert tone sound from my desktop scanner. As cops, we have all experienced that anxious moment wondering if it will be a call assigned to me and … [read more]
January 20, 2015 11:14 AM
When I took the oath of office as chief on April 30, 2014, I was blessed to be chosen to lead a workforce teeming with talent and a proud tradition of providing qualitative services. But no person or agency should fall prey to resting on past laurels; a commitment to continuous improvement is … [read more]
January 12, 2015 11:33 AM
On January 9, 2015, the group known as the Young, Gifted, and Black Coalition sent an "Open Letter to Police Chief Koval" and recipients including Mayor Paul Soglin and City of Madison Alders. While there were many concerns and "demands" that were directed to me, one paragraph stood out … [read more]
December 16, 2014 1:02 PM
As our nation struggles with looking to improve measures taken to provide for greater transparency, accountability, and sensitivity of our police toward the citizens we are sworn to protect and serve, I have been asked what steps are being taken by MPD. While there is no one-size-fits-all … [read more]
October 14, 2014 8:44 AM
With respect to the recently published article about my personal opinion(s) regarding marijuana, context is important. Since the article was published I have received quite a bit of feedback and numerous inquiries about what was written. I believe further information on where I am coming … [read more]
October 8, 2014 9:31 AM
In a recent opinion commentary submitted by a guest in a local newspaper, a number of issues are raised (related to whether police need AR15’s) that compel me to provide our community with a different perspective. A perspective that is coming from a career police officer of over 30 years; and … [read more]
September 19, 2014 8:46 AM
Each year, the United States honors the contributions that Latinos have made to the nation with a Hispanic Heritage Month celebration that runs from September 15 through October 15. This period is a time to celebrate the heritage and culture of our Hispanic and Latino Community. The … [read more]
August 19, 2014 2:40 PM
In an attempt to stay engaged with constituent questions and concerns, a number of community forums have been scheduled for the month of September. These sessions are an opportunity to provide me with direct feedback and there will also be a representative from the hosting District should you … [read more]
Subscribe to Email List
Posts By Month
Posts By Category
- Community Partnerships
- Crime Statistics
- 2014 Rhythm and Booms
- A Message from Chief Koval about the...
- Activities of Off-Duty Officers
- Apply to be a Madison Police Officer...
- Assistant Chief Gaber's Visit to the...
- Chief Koval's Community Forums
- Chief Koval's Mailbag on a variety o...
- Chief Koval's Reflections - Protests...
- Community Forums with Chief Koval
- Final Blog from Randy Gaber as Inter...
- Freakfest 2014
- Gangs in Madison and Why Kids Join G...
- Happy New Year!
- Heroin Epidemic
- Hispanic Heritage Month September 15...
- Holiday Safety Tips
- Immigration Reform is about Communit...
- It's the Small Things that Matter
- Law Enforcement Torch Run for Specia...
- Madison Police Continue to "Give Back"
- Madison Police Department and CampHERO
- Madison Police Department Announces ...
- Madison Police Department Annual Hos...
- Madison Police Department Annual Shi...
- Madison Police Department Appreciate...
- Madison Police Department Armored Re...
- Madison Police Department Citizen Ac...
- Madison Police Department K9 Unit
- Madison Police Department Management...
- Madison Police Department Mounted Pa...
- Madison Police Department Open Recor...
- Madison Police Department Recognized...
- Madison Police Department Recruit Cl...
- Madison Police Department Supporting...
- Madison Police Department's Mental H...
- Madison Police Department's Pawn Pro...
- Madison Should Take Pride in its Police
- March - National Women's History Month
- March - National Women's History Month
- Marijuana Legalization: Chief Koval'...
- Message to our Community from Chief ...
- Midtown Station - Status and Updates
- MPD and Local Agencies to Host Youth...
- MPD Announcing Two New Detective Uni...
- MPD Launches Innovative New Website
- MPD Shout Out to YWCA's Racial Justi...
- MPD's 2014 Pre-Service Academy
- MPD's Best Strategy in Fostering Trust
- MPD's Efforts to Reduce and Eliminat...
- MPDs Use of New Domestic Violence Re...
- National Cyber Security Month
- National Night Out - Madison Police ...
- Overview of the 2014 Spring Student ...
- Overview of the Multi-Dimensional Co...
- Police Grants Save Taxypayer Money
- Police Rifles: Why We Carry What We Do
- Response to an Open Letter
- Safe Communities Madison-Dane County
- Safety Tips and Winter Driving Tips
- Saving Lives
- Shop with a Cop 2013
- Thank you Chief Wray
- The "Madison Method"
- The Impact and Success of the Specia...
- Triad Crime Prevention and Safety Co...
- Youth Services of Southern Wisconsin